The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Lets Clear This Up (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
There have been a few guys here on the Café that think I am an overnight marketing expert. Let me say right up front that "I am in no way an expert" I have been living off magic and meetings my goals for 4 months now, and do have advice to share that is worth listening to. I will share a few examples of tactics that have paid the bills for my first 3 months in buisness.

1. Online
2. Live Advertising
3. Casual Mentioning (during the show)
4. Print Advertising (parent magazine)
5. Follow Up with past clients
6. Networking with local party stores
7. Giveaways - Jumbo Dollars
8. Referrals (from clients and friends)
9. Telling my clients what else I offer after my show
10. Direct Mail

Am I an expert at any of the following? NO

Have I seen success and made money by applying each? YES

Have I learned many mistakes from any of the above? YES

I am here to help others, and continue learning myself. Please stop with the "you claim to be an instant expert then come here for advice" We are all here to help each other and we all have advice to share regardless of our years in practice.
Majestic12
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
643 Posts

Profile of Majestic12
Hey Charles,

I appreciate your postings and information. Sometimes things can taken out of context but let's hope that doesn't deter people from stating their opinions as more content will be beneficial to us all.

Do you have a blog or anything running?
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
I did work hours on a blog attached to my b-day site that has post for party tips...really benefical stuff....the tips etc are scheduled to go out 1 per day until February.

It's http://www.birthdaymagicianwv.com/blog
MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
761 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
Chaz,
install a theme and add a newsletter signup call it a weekly kids game signup

and make sure you have a strong ping list in the dashboard

this will do you great for SEO
its ok.. balloon dogs don't bite
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
I noticed your site didn't have any video, don't you think that, along with more pictures, is important?

I know you're an Eric Paul fan and he thinks video is very important so maybe you should focus on that for a while. Not only will YouTube help you with the SEO it will also help to turn searchers into buyers. Magic is a visual art, show them something:)

Also, call yourself whatever you want. I don't have a problem with you unless you decide to start selling your strategies. You have been at it 4 months and none of your strategies bring something new to the table. I'm sorry but that is the truth of the matter.
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Quote:
On 2010-01-24 17:51, Hart Keene wrote:
I noticed your site didn't have any video, don't you think that, along with more pictures, is important?

I know you're an Eric Paul fan and he thinks video is very important so maybe you should focus on that for a while. Not only will YouTube help you with the SEO it will also help to turn searchers into buyers. Magic is a visual art, show them something:)

Also, call yourself whatever you want. I don't have a problem with you unless you decide to start selling your strategies. You have been at it 4 months and none of your strategies bring something new to the table. I'm sorry but that is the truth of the matter.

No, nothing is new, but they work, and I have used them successfully. You should never reinvent the wheel in marketing... I would not throw out techniques that I personally didn't use and learn from. I will never share a tip unless it was a mistake that I learned from!

As for the site... themagicofcharles.com is not targeted but served me well as a part timer...I have other sites out there that are targeted and fit my buisness plan. That site is a floater that still brings in business. I am not a fan of Eric Paul, I know Eric Paul..have his picture on my desk.

I have video testimonials from satisfied clients and a youtube channel...thanks for the info though! I have video of my show that is only avaliable to customers when they request to see it!

I don't need you harping on what I have and don't have.... More important than a video of your show...is the show itself. If the show is good and you are likable..(which mine is) you will draw plenty of work just from performing.

Quote:

Technically I have been a full time magician for 4 months....I have been part time and experinced marketing and magic part time for 10 years.

Quote:

If you buy 15 books from some of the top magic marketers in the world....I guarantee you will feel as if you are listening to a broken record.... Non of their advice is ground breaking (it's good stuff though) The more times you read something the more likely you will do it! You will realize "hey I have heard this before...maybe I should use it!")

Posted: Jan 24, 2010 7:24pm
As for the site: I am building my business and capitol slowly and when the time is right I will begin planning for a promotional video shoot etc! At the moment I am a student of marketing and working on providing the best service as possible. The rest will come in time, and I will be ***ed if I let someone rush me....that is what made me want to "throw in the hand" when coaching with Brad Ross.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Why do you use so many exclimation points when you write?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Out of habit good question though
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Sorry, I know how much questions upset you.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
You seem a little defensive in your post, heck, I guess that's what this thread is all about! Defending yourself. But I don't understand what you want or are trying to prove here.

Anyway, I was just trying to help yet you call it "harping". Again, you are not ready to sell anything as you just simply haven't been at it long enough to be able to claim any type of expertise as a magic marketer. I think it's great that you come here and share info. Please keep doing so! Just as someone who posts his trials and tribulations in the "workers" or "table hoppers and party strollers". That's what the Café is for. No one here has a problem until you start labeling yourself something you're not and charging for others ideas you are just beginning to implement.

Also, don't get too caught up here in the Café friend. I have spent far less time here in the last year and been a lot more productive in front of the computer since. This place will suck you in. It concerns me that you started an entire thread just defending yourself here. What are you trying to prove? Who are you trying to impress or prove something to? None of the guys on here are going to pay your bills or book you for shows. They might use your knowledge and will certainly take it as a free handout but I don't think anyone on here would pay you a dime. Just don't get too caught up trying to prove yourself on here, it's a waste of time.

What is your YouTube channel? I didn't see a link on your site.
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Quote:
On 2010-01-24 19:48, Dannydoyle wrote:
Sorry, I know how much questions upset you.

What you said above makes no sense to me, but OK. Maybe I am missing your point?
xtina
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of xtina
Trickychaz

Magician's helping Magician's has turned into a ****ing contest. I feel it may be counterproductive to keep posting on here for the small amount of good advice and encouragement that you do get. Kapital Kidvention is coming up this week. Are you attending? The line-up looks impressive. Go there for advice and encouragement. You will also meet other attendees that are also newly professional that maybe you could meet and network with. Don't waste your time on here defending yourself. Not worth it.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Wow all that hostility after only 3 posts. Amazing.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
LOL
andini1
View Profile
New user
UK
93 Posts

Profile of andini1
Trickychaz,
Thank you for sharing your experiences and offering advice to the forum.
You are getting some good results and making a success, and I wish you well.
Kind regards,
MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
761 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
I'm excited to see someone testing and moving forward..

and take this as lesson learned.. (don't bend the rules on the money site)

get a 5 site plan (to start with I have to upgrade to 70 soon)
http://www.seohosting.com/hosting-plans.php

buy a few domain names..
and test, test, test

but ALWAYS protect the money site
its ok.. balloon dogs don't bite
Carducci
View Profile
Special user
Denver
543 Posts

Profile of Carducci
You'd get more value for money going with ix web hosting you get 15 dedicated ip addresses and unlimited sites for 1/5 of what seohosting charges for 5. You also get 3 free domain names (that you own and can transfer away at any time) for free and $150 in search engine marketing (google, yahoo etc) credits.

I've used many hosting providers over the years, I moved to IX a few years ago and never looked back. Great uptime, real support (phone, live chat etc) and great service.
Majestic12
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
643 Posts

Profile of Majestic12
Quote:
On 2010-01-25 14:39, Carducci wrote:
You'd get more value for money going with ix web hosting you get 15 dedicated ip addresses and unlimited sites for 1/5 of what seohosting charges for 5. You also get 3 free domain names (that you own and can transfer away at any time) for free and $150 in search engine marketing (google, yahoo etc) credits.

I've used many hosting providers over the years, I moved to IX a few years ago and never looked back. Great uptime, real support (phone, live chat etc) and great service.

LOL. but your website is down right now carducci...
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Hey dude, nowhere in his post did he say they were RELIABLE LOL! He mentions value, and how many you get but reliability is not something he mentioned LOL.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Carducci
View Profile
Special user
Denver
543 Posts

Profile of Carducci
Seriously?

It's up on my end...

Also, I have uptime monitoring with my web stat package (different company) and It checks every 15 minutes for connect time and availability. I haven't seen any alerts today though.

I did have some DNS issues over the weekend, but that was an issue with Godaddy...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Lets Clear This Up (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL