We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » The best linking ring routine (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Slappy
View Profile
Loyal user
North Hollywood, CA
261 Posts

Profile of Slappy
Aldo Colombini has a great routine that uses two rings and a rope. I've never seen a routine like it and it transitions nicley into a couple of rope routines.

Anything Al Schneider does, is worth checking out.
"Help, I've got a silver ball stuck on my thumb"
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22504 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2010-05-22 21:46, Anatole wrote:
I've always liked Allen Hayden's ring routine. I believe he published it in his lecture notes.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez

Yes, Allan Hayden's Fancy Ring Routine got a lot of attention some years ago, I never got around to ordering it. I just found a real deal at Daytona Magic they are selling it for half price.
http://www.daytonamagic.com/products/ALL......INE.html

Magic Inc. is the publisher of this booklet and they have an on line price of $7.95.
http://www.magicinc.net
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1702 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Depending on your style I guess... any of the following is out there!!

Whit Haydn for comedy!!!

Jeff McBride does a pretty explosive fast routine!!! to music

Richard Ross-The master at work-slow & real magic!!!-30yrs ago I saw this in Paris and it still was my favourite...

The great things with the Rings are over the years we all add a little bit of numerous routines & create our own style of presenting-Its a great effect-I myself use 12 inch Rings to music-runs 2 mins 35 secs
Keep the routine under 3 mins if possible if using music

Whits routine is hard to beat though!!
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
I absolutely love Whit Hayden's comedy 4 ring routine. But I don't think anyone can ever do it as well as Whit himself. This routine was developed with Whit's character in mind and honed to perfection over years and years of performing.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3488 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
The best routine is your own personal and original routine.

Study Vernon’s, Haydon’s, McBride’s and get the books,
“Rings In Your Fingers” and “Ireland Linking Rings”
then once you’ve seen the range, pick and choose moves,
come up with a theme or plot, and go for it!

My thoughts,
Walt
GlennGary
View Profile
New user
Venice, Fl
18 Posts

Profile of GlennGary
My rings are 12" Owens, I do a silent routine just under 6 minutes to music that has won many awards and gets ovations every show. Of course I only do one show every five years.

No actually I do several show per week but my only point is that it doesn't matter how long the routine is, how many rings you use, as long as the audience is entertained the entire time. Now some say size doesn't matter, but my wife insist that it does. She says at 6'3" tall, 10" rings looks like I am playing with tinker toys, I need 12" rings to balance with my body.
Make It A Magical Day

Glenn Gary

www.glenngary.com

703-963-0790
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
These days I'm performing a 3 ring routine that mimmicks Tai Chi meditation sequences. It is performed to the tranquil music of an oriental flute. Artistically, it's one of the few pieces I perform that makes me feel like a real magician.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
That sounds beautiful!
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
I love my routine which is using only 4 rings. As soon as I finish that routine I then do a linking rope routine. Then after doing that I discard 1 rope and use a ring instead, and do a routine using both.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22504 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
If you want to see one of the best Linking Rings presentations, go to http://www.stoners.com and search linking rings. Click on any of the linking ring products and then click on demo.

This eight ring routine has be honed by professional magician Dick Stoner for over 50 years. It is a great example of takeing a little for many sources and creating a real show piece. It has comedy and mystery and is several minutes long.

Due to the way there web site is set up I cannot give a direct link.
idomagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Chad Wonder
255 Posts

Profile of idomagic
Here is the link if anyone would like to see it.
http://www.youtube.com/v/d_SYC0kdhU0&hl=en_US&fs=1
Chad Wonder (Chad Wonder Magic, Inc)
Past President SAM 37/IBM 131 (Mile High Magicians)
https://www.idomagic.com
http://www.ChadWonderMagic.com
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5735 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2010-08-09 12:33, idomagic wrote:
Here is the link if anyone would like to see it.
http://www.youtube.com/v/d_SYC0kdhU0&hl=en_US&fs=1

I seem to remember there being more to it than that. I also like Whit Haydn's routine.

I perform a routine that's based on Harry Anderson's routine. I added touches to it, over the years. I get compliments on my routine, all the time, especially if they've seen another magician perform the rings.

I'm of the opinion that the rings usually don't get the care and attention that they deserve. I rarely see a routine that will put a smile on my face.
idomagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Chad Wonder
255 Posts

Profile of idomagic
Alan, I so agree with you statement about attention. Since posting, I have been working on a routine all season and have not gotten it to a point I would perform it in public. I am really picky about the quality of my magic, both from a technical standpoint but more importantly, from and entertainment perspective (read, humor). It's been great to see all the suggestions and use them to build a unique routine. I guess I was just lazy and didn't want to put in the work but once I got started, it kind of became an goal... now only if I can get it ready for next year!
Chad Wonder (Chad Wonder Magic, Inc)
Past President SAM 37/IBM 131 (Mile High Magicians)
https://www.idomagic.com
http://www.ChadWonderMagic.com
Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
826 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
Shocked that no one really called out Jeff McBride's commando routine. Check it out on "World's Greatest Magic: The Linking Rings" DVD (also includes routine by Dai).

Instagram: @mattadamsministries

Facebook: www.facebook.com/mattadamsministries
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I perform more kid shows. Kids like holding props for examination. That is why I use eight rings in my routine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS78iI6cwh0
kennewhitson
View Profile
New user
Kansas
69 Posts

Profile of kennewhitson
Whit's routine is great!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Whit's routine is great. We were both booked on the same show once and, using advice from Dai Vernon, I suggested Whit go on first and I would go on a couple of acts later.

We BOTH got strong reactions and great applause.

Vernon told me to follow him once when we were on the same show. In that case he said, "After someone does a classic routine, it sets up your comedy version and you will still go strong.

Posted: Jun 6, 2011 12:15pm
As far as the BEST routine? It depends on who you are working for.

To me it was Jay Marshall's. It got him on the Ed Sullivan TV show dozens of times.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
The best routine is the one that reflects your personality and character. The moves don't need to be difficult or complicated, but the routine should communicate something about you. Here's a routine I've been working on. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

http://youtu.be/kE5mLLX1u4k

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22504 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Kent, the premise is very good, and the only thing I could say is the the rings got lost in your custume. Maybe a different color or holding the rings out from your body more would help visualily for the rings.

Also being you connected it to Ty Chi (hope I spelled that correctly) you should use the positions of that art form throughout. Stretching and giving meaning to the moves. Also bring the rings up higher, maybe in front of your face more would help draw attention to the links and unlinking of the rings.

My 1st thought was, make the rings float, I think if you consider using the floating rings for this routine and theme, it would truely make it magical.

Lastly, I would like you to consider that you taylor your pants so there is not such a large break in the legs. You have large blousing pant legs. This makes you look very short, a sharp crease in the pants would make them look sharper. You may want to consider getting a boot shoe with a higher heel. This will give you good posture and shape your body frame better.

This is ment as constructive advice for things to consider. I like the theme, music and story. Stand tall!
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Wmhegbli,

Thank you so much for the feedback. I really appreciate it! About a week ago, I had a private session with Jeff McBride to work on the show. One of the key pieces we focused on was the ring routine. Coincidentally, he raised many of the same points you did.

1. Losing the rings in the costume - We tried to address this issue on two fronts. First, many of the magic moments are now on the side of my body rather than directly in front of the costume. This will take advantage of the fact that most curtains are black or some other dark color. Second, we have made efforts to identify key points within the routine and transform them into "applause" moments. Jeff is a master at creating applause cues, but the challenge here was to create several such cues without breaking the flow of the meditation. So, the cues needed to be soft and subtle. In most cases, it's simply a pause and a smile as I make eye contact with the audience.

2. Tai Chi Moves - During the consultation, we focused on different moves as well. Jeff has a background in Tai Chi and was able to provide some meaningul insights into the moves. Obviously, many actual moves are not possible while performing the rings, but the look and feel of the movements can still be conveyed to the audience.

3. Pants/boots - You are soooo right! I hated the look of these pants in the video, but I only ever noticed them when I first watched the DVD. Since then, I have had several pairs of pants custom tailored for a better look and fit. I have also purchased a set of ankle boots with a flaminco (sp?) heel, and I'm revisiting ballroom dance to assist with breathing and posture.

4. Floating rings - I haven't heard of this routine. Could you provide me with some direction for further research? It does seem like it would fit nicely into the vision I have for the rings. When a friend first asked me what I had in mind when performing the rings, I told him I wanted the routine to have the look and feel of "ripples on a pond". Floating rings may do exactly that.

Once again, thank you for your advice and guidance. It is very much appreciated.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » The best linking ring routine (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL