The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » The best linking ring routine (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Levent,
Loved loved last time you posted as you went while shooting the billiard ball dvds. Looking forward to a log of the rings progress!

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
It took a while for someone to mention the Chung Ling Soo routines, both of which I used to perform in all of my stage shows. It was by far tied for first as my favorite with the Robert-Houdin 12 ring routine.

I also love doing the Dai Vernon and Whit Haydn versions.

If you really want to see two killer linking ring routines, both of them being silent, you should watch Brett Daniels and Laurens Godon. Both are absolutely wonderful, masterful, beautiful and extremely entertaining routines. After sitting down with Brett at a conclave once, I adopted many of his subtleties and sequences in my other linking ring routines. It took me a long, long time to accomplish myself, but I have never seen anyone else perform this particular link as Brett does: Two rings, one held vertically, the other horizontally. The vertical ring is tossed into the air and cought as it falls back down, only to be shown linked, with absolute silence, onto the horizontal ring. Very poetic.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2449 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Quote:
On 2011-06-16 23:57, Dr_J_Ayala wrote:
I have never seen anyone else perform this particular link as Brett does: Two rings, one held vertically, the other horizontally. The vertical ring is tossed into the air and cought as it falls back down, only to be shown linked, with absolute silence, onto the horizontal ring. Very poetic.

It is in fact a very poetic, beautiful and oft copied link as originated by Jonathon Neal in his masterful 2 ring routine.
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
Quote:
On 2011-06-16 23:57, Dr_J_Ayala wrote:
It took a while for someone to mention the Chung Ling Soo routines, both of which I used to perform in all of my stage shows.

Dr J Ayala:

Can you tell me of the two Chung Ling Soo ring routines that you used to perform in your stage shows. Which one of the two routines got a better reaction from the audience?

Levent
http://www.LeventMagic.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Ray: FYI... about 40 years ago I threw a ring high into the air, and caught it "silently" in a horizontal ring in hand. Things like ball juggling, ring moves and card move are easy to have multiple inventors... many identical thinks owing to the number of folks out there playing with the props.

JNeal does do one of the most elegant routines, no question.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2449 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Hey Pete! I fully understand, and I've done the same. Did you end up using it? He was just the first one I know to do it consistently in a documentable routine on stage as far as I knew. At least I was pretty sure it predated Brett's routine but I always love finding better sources!
Ray Pierce
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22653 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The young Davenport kid from the Davenport family did this in his act, they own the magic shop in England. They have published a book, I believe on Chinese Jugglers who did the linking rings and throwing them high in the air and when they landed they linked. He explained how to do this in a lecture of sorts when they were at Abbott's Get-Together years ago.

They said that is where the Linking Rings originated, Chinese Jugglers.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2449 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
That toss link is fairly well known and I think many have done it. I do it with the last two rings in my act. It is the "silent" linking we were talking about.

I'm sure many people have done a silent link in the past either in rehearsal or playing around with it much like many flying trapeze artists have caught a quad sumersault, but there was only one guy, Miguel Vasquez who is generally credited as the first to throw it consistently in a show. I'm sure open to other documentation. Maybe Pete did it the silent link in his act all the time, not sure. Hopefully we can find out more!
Ray Pierce
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I did the silent link catch and still do, since I worked shows in the army around 1952.

The Chinese Jugglers are NOT THE CREATORS OF THE LINKING RINGS.

I have information it was done by a Spanish magician before any in print from the orient, and I have a copy of the FIRST KNOWN instrutions, and they are in Japanese.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1469 Posts

Profile of JNeal
I wasn't planning on weighing in on this discussion at all. When I first met Pete (probably around 1979) he saw me perform my routine at the Castle and told me that he too did that Toss Silent Link. Now, I had never seen Pete perform before and I feel safe in saying I was new to him as well. So this is certainly an example of parallel invention. Ray was there during my 'creative process' because we were two young kids working in a magic shop together 6 days a week...9 hours a day! What else did I have to do but practice and create ring moves?
(I guess I could have waited on customers, but that would have ruined the store's reputation LOL).. so after 5 or 6 months, I more or less 'had a routine' which I then set to music...and by the way...Ray had more than a small part in that too!

I was curious as Levent was, about the Chung Ling Soo routines mentioned above. I cannot imagine performing two Linking Ring routines in one show! Or did he mean "EACH of which I (alternately) performed in all my stage shows"? Anyway, I am sure he'll soon offer an opinion as to which is the better routine.

Pete- Interesting to hear your info about the origin of the trick. I guess I can no longer intro the rings as "the famous Chinese Rings...but rather as the heretofore unknown Spanish Rings?

All for now-
JNeal
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22653 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Who knows, the Spanish did travel the seas and explore the world looking for gold and riches. It may be that is how they traded. Who really knows the actual origin. I will still refer to them as the Chinese Linking Rings.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7390 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I do remember Ralph Adams doing the more less standard 8 ring routine and then following it up with a linking rope routine. I was surprised it played so well. This was at Sea World in the 1970's.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
Hi Richard:

I loved watching Ralph Adams! When I saw him he did 10 rings! You're right, he used to follow up the rings with the E.J. Moore's Linking Ropes, with the same two spectators that helped him with the rings. The thing that I remembered the most was how well he did the Laurant Link!

Levent
http://www.LeventMagic.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7390 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Levent,
It also makes the point that how important it is to have the rings examined. Ralph made the rings seem unprepared because of the examination of the rings. But then he took it one step further and used common clothesline (yeah, I know most of the kids don't remember using a clothesline) to make it seem more natural and magical.

I was fortunate enough to spend time with him and video the entire show at Sea World. He had little twists to everything that the standard work for him.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
kardini
View Profile
Regular user
Brazil
141 Posts

Profile of kardini
Here the partial routine "Immaterial Rings"(linking rings)fully in slow motion of the Brazilian magician KARDINI, using only TWO large silver rings on May 9, 2008 on TV (Only at the end of the routine appears a little third ring, interlaced in two large, symbolizing the birth after a symphony of art and love). Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97hstYib0xQ
website 2017 - http://www.kardini.com.br
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Nicely done.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2449 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Yes, Well done.

lol... little did JNeal know what his little two ring routine would spawn for so many years. For years so many people did Vernon... then Post Richard Ross the manip boys did 3 rings (sometimes with the 4 ring add on)and now after Jonathan, the 2 ring routine evolved to become a de facto standard. Hopefuly he is proud!
Ray Pierce
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2280 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Great discussion.

I'd like to add that I saw Jonathon Pendragon do a ring routine back in about 1995 that was outstanding. Also, I saw Dick Gustafson do a ring routine with his wife. They somehow convinced the audience (and me) that they handed out every ring for inspection. Very impressive.

I started my ring routine 35 years ago by reading the Armature Magician’s Handbook which was mentioned earlier in this thread. Later I picked up moves by Richard Ross, Marc DeSouza and from Dariel Fitzkee’s text. Finally, Chris Capehart’s crash link and another move that has become my finale have rounded out my routine.

A few months ago I bought a bundle of books for a very good price at a magician’s estate sale. To my pleasant surprise it included a copy of Whit Hayden’s 4 ring routine (a very young looking Whit on the cover. Smile )
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
817 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
The most magical linking rings routine is RICHARD ROSS
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2280 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
I think I heard that somewhere before. Smile
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » The best linking ring routine (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL