We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » The best linking ring routine (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2011-06-17 10:29, Levent wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-06-16 23:57, Dr_J_Ayala wrote:
It took a while for someone to mention the Chung Ling Soo routines, both of which I used to perform in all of my stage shows.

Dr J Ayala:

Can you tell me of the two Chung Ling Soo ring routines that you used to perform in your stage shows. Which one of the two routines got a better reaction from the audience?

Levent
http://www.LeventMagic.com

I apologize for not noticing this question earlier! If you have the book called Rings In Your Fingers by Dariel Fitzkee you can find a description of what I consider to be the stronger routine. It is also found in a book called The Silence of Chung Ling Soo ($150 last time I saw a copy available).

This was a routine that had gone through many different changes and restructuring in the hands of the venerable Mr. Robinson (a.k.a. Chung Ling Soo), and it became his standard over the years. It has a lot of smooth transitions, a great way of counting the rings as singles, and it makes use of many beautiful figures, such as the Mask, the Hourglass, the Chinese Gong and the Fireball. It is well routined and was performed silently, no dialogue and no music. That was also the way I did it. I always strive to create my own magic with each effect that I do, but you have to agree here - when you have a classic (or at least what is nowadays considered classic) effect and it is done so perfectly, and you can do all the moves/motions in the routine extremely well, why change it? Imitation may be a form of flattery, but my intent was to preserve the very nature of the perfection of the effect and the routining as put forth by Chung Ling Soo.

Just as an example of someone taking a well-known and established routine and performing it exactly the way the creator did: Dan Watkins, a coin magician, performed The Tuning Fork exactly as set forth by David Roth in his Exoert Coin Magic book. He did it as a surprise at a previous New York Coin Magic Seminar and David loved it. It was just one of those things that was so perfectly routined and fine-tuned that there would have been no justice done if it had been even slightly altered.

I hope this information is useful to you and that I answered your question. Thanks for asking and I look forward to seeing your work with the rings when it comes out!
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2937 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Quote:
On 2010-05-27 17:23, Slappy wrote:
Aldo Colombini has a great routine that uses two rings and a rope. I've never seen a routine like it and it transitions nicley into a couple of rope routines.

Anything Al Schneider does, is worth checking out.
I agree on both counts
I j
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
I wonder how Levents DVD is coming? If it would be half as good as the Billiards, it should be wonderful.
cchesmark
View Profile
New user
Houston
33 Posts

Profile of cchesmark
This looks pretty interesting: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S18679
Chad Chesmark / Corporate & Cruise Ship Magician & Mentalist
www.ChadChesmark.com
Magician in Houston, Texas
https://texasschoolshows.com/MAGICIAN-IN-HOUSTON
magicsachin
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
132 Posts

Profile of magicsachin
Chris Capehart's The Rings by Kozmomagic

Capehart's Three Ring Routine is the closest thing to magic.
Thank You Smile
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I've "read the thread".

No one has even mentioned Karrell Fox's 3 ring routine.

I never owned any rings, until Jay Marshall returned from buying an estate, in 1970. He had a set of 10" Merv Taylor rings. I liked the "feel" of them. Jay said, "You get the "friendly" price." ($40.) I said, "Well, if I skip lunch, I can afford them." He said "I'll buy lunch." I said, OK"

I played with them over the summer, I worked out a non technical 5 ring routine. (not Jay's) That fall, I waited until I had an exceptionally good high school audience. I did the rings. INSTANT SUCCESS!!! I used them every high school the rest of the season.

About a year later, I was booked in a shopping mall in the Detroit area, Karrell Fox said, "Don't get a motel! The boys are at a summer camp. You can have their room. We'll have a convention every night! We did.

He GAVE me his 3 ring routine. (Two less rings to carry!) I sold the MT rings (at a handsome profit!) and, I've done Karrell's routine SINCE.

When Karrell died, I inherited HIS set of rings (now I have a backup)

J Neal's is marvelous! Dai Vernon's was beautiful. I like Chris Capeheart's too.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1467 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Thanks for the kind words, Mr. Dick Odlund! You have put me in good company there! When I created that 2 ring routine , I was an 'artist'... Now many years later, I don't use it very much... So sooner or later, I'm going to put it out as a book or Dvd. Maybe lecture on the significant aspects of it.

What a lot of people don't know about me is that I did the Blacksone/ Gibson. 8 ring routine for years and I did a three ring routine as well as a store demo for Hollywood Magic when I worked there.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
magicsachin
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
132 Posts

Profile of magicsachin
Chris Capehart's The Rings & Jeff McBride Magic on Stage.................
Thank You Smile
Fazzio
View Profile
New user
brazil
12 Posts

Profile of Fazzio
Jeff McBride Magic on Stage dvd is very good source of ideas.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22504 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
To answer the original post, there is no "best" routine, the performer makes his routine the best for him and his audience.

Every published Linking Ring Routine is the "best", that is why they published it. It was the best for them and they were gracious enough to share it with the other magicians in the world.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1822 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Here's a youtube video of Ralph Adams doing the linking rings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kV7kPOMCqc
----- Sonny Narvaez
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » The best linking ring routine (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL