The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Books on cons and scam artists (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kid iowa
View Profile
Loyal user
Oklahoma
300 Posts

Profile of kid iowa
Does anyone have any recommendations for books about scam artists and conmen? I've read "The Man with the $100,000 Breasts" and "Catch Me If You Can," and I'm looking at getting the Titanic Thompson one off of Whit's site, but if anyone can recommend some other books I'd appreciate it.
Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile...can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy." J.F.K.
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
The Con Game and "Yellow Kid" Weil by J. R. Weil
FuDD
View Profile
Regular user
Tucson, Az.
150 Posts

Profile of FuDD
Amarillo slim in a world full of fat people
may you be filled with loving kindness
http://www.williamsmagic.com
http://www.celebratemagic.com
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Slim is a convicted pedophile, and a endlessly compulsive liar.
His is not a book I'd bother reading.

"The Big Con" by David Maurer is the bible of the long and short con. The movie "The Sting" was based on this book (it was ripped off from the book actually, and the movies producers later lost in court).

There are other good books, but if you want a taste of the best, and want to understand this stuff better, start with this one.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Quote:
On 2010-03-01 16:21, silverking wrote:
Slim is a convicted pedophile, and a endlessly compulsive liar.
His is not a book I'd bother reading.

"The Big Con" by David Maurer is the bible of the long and short con. The movie "The Sting" was based on this book (it was ripped off from the book actually, and the movies producers later lost in court).

There are other good books, but if you want a taste of the best, and want to understand this stuff better, start with this one.

I'd love to read a pedophile and liar's book! Sounds fascinating. Smile

The Big Con is THE book on con artists. Almost any con artist film you care to name comes back to The Big Con. All of those outdated words (putting on the fix, ropers, outside man) that only exist in fiction all come from The Big Con.

I'd also recommend Players by Geno Zanetti and Stephen Hyde. It's an anthology of works from great writers. It's also a good place to get further suggestions of books as it includes excepts from several other important works.

40 years... by George Devol and Right Way To Do Wrong by Houdini are also fun reads. Both are FREE online.
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
The big con is a dry read. The yellow kid is great!

Charles ponzi book is a great read. Its a lot of fun and you get a great story to read.
fireperformer911
View Profile
Special user
547 Posts

Profile of fireperformer911
Right Way To Do Wrong by Houdini this is a very fun read.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Fiction
- Con Man
- Spanish Fly / Hustle
- Paper Moon
- The Confidence Man
- The Tony Valentine novels
- Jar of Fools
- Felix Krull

Non Fiction
- The Art of The Steal
- Son of a Grifter
- The Man Who Wasn't There
- The Modern Con Man
- The Complete Idiots Guide to Fraud Scams and Cons (much better book that you'd expect)
- Rich Uncle From Figi
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Sting Shift by Bruce Walstad and Lindsey Smith
How to Become a Professional Con Artist by Dennis Marlock

Both authors were vice cops, and both books still get used as "text books" when trying to ramp local cops up on scams and cons.

Sting Shift is the better book if you're only getting one, but if you're interested in the subject matter, you should really have them both.
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Dammit Nick,

I was trying to keep jar of fools on the down low.

Don't get it folks, you won't like it.

Not worth your time.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
James - I don't think it's many people's cups of tea.

You might also like The Imposter's Daughter. It's a graphic novel about a woman who finds out her father is an imposter.
MerlH
View Profile
Loyal user
Carolina Shores, N.C.
272 Posts

Profile of MerlH
Billion Dollar Bunko by Simon Lovell is a good read. The carnival scams were particularily interesting to me. L & L Publishing first edition 2003 hard bound 419 pages.
Merl Hamen Old dog-- New tricks
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Billion Dollar Bunko was released as an top dollar hard back. Lovell the produced How To Cheat At Anything as a paperback a little while after, annoying a few of the people who paid for the expensive edition.

How To Cheat costs $20 on Amazon.

However, the gambling and carnival sections are very similar to the Scarne on Gambling sections. Lovell has certainly not copied or plagiarized Scarne but he has used Scarne as his primary source.

The short con and internet sections of the book are quite poor. There are plenty of far better books on the subject.

In terms of bios of actual con artists and cheats I recommend the Titanic book, The Man Who Sold The Eiffel Tower, The Great Imposter and The Magician and The Cardsharp.

The Big Book of Hoaxes is a really fun read as well. It's a series of two-three page comics drawn by different artists and is full of hoaxes and scams.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

That is great Nick,

Perfect for anyone trying to make a library of cons.

Cheers!
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I am currently putting my library in a database.

Here is a list of what I've done so far...

http://scams.wikispaces.com/Bibliography
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Books on cons and scam artists (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL