The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Review: "Faultless" by Jamie Daws (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2563 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
Hey guys,

Jamie was kind enough to send me a copy of his new pdf FAULTLESS.

What is FAULTLESS?

3 handlings of the TnR plot.

I have only seen 1 of the handlings on the pdf, as it is not completed yet, but let me say for you folks that like TnR plots you wont be disappointed.

The complete ebook will have all 3 handlings.

I will discuss the first handling called Cupid and the Devil.

The second handling demo can be seen on Youtube, called My grandads finger

Ok so Cupid and The Devil.

Basically you start with a blue deck, and it has a story wrapped around where everything is justified. You have somoene select a card and sign it, you take the card back, and rip it into 4 separate pieces.
You place 2 pcs in your pocket and you retain 2 pcs, and this is the best part, kinda like TORN, very openly you join both edges together and they stick.

I actually like this version of joining the first piece than TORN, very visual and great thinking on Jamies part.
here is the kicker.........you can now change the restored piece to a red back, and then join the 3rd piece which is blue, and once it is restored, also change it to red...

at the end the whole card ends up being red, and then you can give it back to the spectator with their signature on it.

I like this very much as I have seen my share of TnR plots.

I havent tried this yet, but I will when I have a few minutes to try it out for myself.

You wont be dissappointed in this, it truly is great!

Very visual magic at its best!

Thanks

Alex
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
The trouble I see with Jaime's reviews is he told me he would rather do a positive review than a negative one.

So...what is the point of reading his reviews if they are all positive. We know the outcome of the review will be??

I would rather hear what to stay away from than what to buy!

To me a negative review is much better than something that tells me to "great effect buy it now". At least a negative review would tell me to stay away from this effect because....

But so many "creators" are so afraid of saying what they truly believe for fear of offending thier peers...so they become complacent.

Not very truthful at all.

p.s. I hope I don't get banned for just writing my beliefs.
Magic is a vanishing art.
muse
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
925 Posts

Profile of muse
Then again, a deafening silence about a product and general lack of reviews can indicate that it's something to tread carefully with.

Apart from the 'hard to criticise your friends in public' thing, which does exist of course (in all walks of life), if something is really good, then I think that the creator deserves more people to know about it. If it is unspeakably bad, then I think that people should be warned off before they waste their money. And most things I buy I find to be good, because I've read them up beforehand.

But if the product is just so-so, it's hard to get up the energy to write about it at all, I tend just want to move on and not want to give it any more of my time.

And I'm sure that's true of many others too, which leads to many more good reviews than bad, and the mediocre being the hardest to get opinions about.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
I do not Jammie personally but this is a very nice effect
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
JamieD
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1800 Posts

Profile of JamieD
Bonjourno!

Hey edh. I applaude you for your views. I think your right. I won't deny I much prefer to write good reviews. As would anyone. I don't like putting someones hard work down as much as the next person. Not to say I wont write my honest opinions as can be seen with some of the ones I do. If something is not to my liking or I think someone is lacking in quality, I will put that into my review. I tend to comes across a trick that I like and then wish to tell everyone about it. That is probably why I have ore good then bad. I love most aspects of magic. Learning new methods and idea's really drives me to an excess. But I take your points and I think a balanced view is needed.

As for the reviews people do for me. I always allow people I do not know personally to review my effects. I do have negative feedback as I'm sure you've seen on my Faultless thread on latest and greatest. People expressing their concerns with the story aspect of my granddads finger. That's fine. I know my effects aren't for everyone but hay, if 2 or even 3 people like it and use it, I'm a happy man.

Anyways, I hope I've cleared some stuff up. Please feel free to email me or skype me if you wish to chat about stuff. Im more then happy to chat to anyone about anything!

Jamie
TORCE - VMRS - DARK SERIES
www.JAMIEDAWS.CO.UK
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
Review of 'Faultless' The teaser.

Following on from my comments on this thread: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......m=218&16 Jamie offered a couple of teasers for review. I contacted Jamie, and he sent me one. The teaser is one of the three effects in the full pdf.

My experience with T&Rs include: Rehab, Huron Low FITH, Reincardnation, JC Wagner's T&R and Geoff Williams Ultimate T&R. I mainly work strolling / mix n mingle events.

I will not 'flame' anyone or a product (yet!), but do try to be constructive and honest in reviews. Here we go then.. (based on the teaser - all just IMHO)

Quality of the PDF:
Not quite M.Paul, C.Francis or S.Guinn quality, but still in the top end on the quality scale with clear photos, and fairly comprehensive instructions.

The effect:
I loaded the pdf up, and followed through step by step..
Difficulty - This, like reincardnation will require work to get smooth. It is not hard (its pretty easy in fact), but certainly needs to be performed in a relaxed manner to avoid looking clunky.
Visuals - Looking in the mirror, there is no exageration to the claim that this looks stunning with some of the restorations and the color change.
Angles - Not as good as some, but still fair.
Dirty hand rating - Magical reveals, but still some covering up and pocket visiting.

Value:
If you like / collect T&R, I think (based on the teaser) you will be on to a winner.

Will I perform it?
No. The effect has strong visuals, but I am surrounded for 90% of my work. I prefer the T&R as an almost afterthought, so I'll stick to using JC Wagners following on from a signed card effect, with a variation of Cody Fisher's excellent tip for the last corner (Chef's Special - Guest of honour slot). I also don't want to give up pocket space to a set up deck (there are ways round this).

So to sum up..

Constructive cons:
Similar angle issues to several other T&R plots.
The Granddad's story (in the demo)was not for me.

Pros:
Easy to get the basic moves down.
From the right perspective, arguably one of the most visual T&Rs I have seen.
Easy to set up
A decent enough PDF at a good price.

If you like or collect T&Rs, or if you perform in the right conditions (not surrounded), then recommended.

Charlie

PS I admire Jamie's willingness to send out samples to possible critics, not just his regulars.
PPS Jamie - Post a full demo of Cupid (from audience view) as I suggested before, I think it will drive sales up far better than 'My Granddads finger'.
JamieD
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1800 Posts

Profile of JamieD
Charlie, thank you for the honest review!

I'm hoping some of the issues you brought up will be solved in one of the other handlings of Faultless.

Best,

Jamie
www.JAMIEDAWS.CO.UK
Jv
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Jv
I was also one of the lucky few [or many] that got a sneak peek at Jamie's T&R, 'Cupid and the Devil', from his ebook, 'Faultless'.

Let's just say this is very clever, and I love the restoring/color changing aspect of the effect.

'Cupid and the Devil' does require a 'gimmick', but it is easily available and quite inexpensice. Another great point about the 'gimmick' is it will last a few performances... probably an entire night of performing 'Cupid and the Devil' over and over and then some before you have to 'construct' a new one. 'Cupid and the Devil' also has an 'instant-reset', so by the time you place the cards back in the box, you're ready to perform it to another group of spectators.

Jamie's teaching is superb, and you'll have no problems performing 'Cupid and the Devil'. He also includes high quality photos so you can easily follow along.

Now the restoration process is pretty slick. The first restoration is AMAZING, and you can tell that a lot of thinking went into this. The second and third restoration is quite the same then everyother piece.by.piece restoration, but the advantage here is you change the restored pieces. And at the end, you hand out the signed, now red [or blue] card... now imagine the reactions you would recieve from the spectators?

Well, a big thanks goes to Jamie, and since I really enjoyed 'Cupid and the Devil', can't wait to see what the entire ebook holds!

"'Cupid and the Devil' is dope!"-

Jv
Guillotine+ASYLUM
JamieD
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1800 Posts

Profile of JamieD
Hey!

To let you all know, Faultless is about a week away from launch. Those who have pre=ordered, it'll be with you first. Also, I'm offering a bundle. You can get two gaffs for Cupid and the Devil as well as EVERYTHING you need to perform Swindlers Switch as well as the PDF for £13.50. If you have pre-ordered but would like the cards to, just shoot me an email!

Best,

Jamie
www.JAMIEDAWS.CO.UK
JamieD
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1800 Posts

Profile of JamieD
Thanks for the very kind words JV!

Here's one last demo showing snippets from Swindlers Switch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efU4q5mCxZo

Best,

Jamie Daws
www.JAMIEDAWS.CO.UK
JamieD
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1800 Posts

Profile of JamieD
FAULTLESS IS DONE!

Awaiting the final copy from the proof readers now! Those who pre-ordered, expect it in your inbox within the next day or so!

Hope to hear everyones thoughts, the good and bad soon!

Best Wishes,

Jamie
www.JAMIEDAWS.CO.UK
JamieD
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1800 Posts

Profile of JamieD
Pre-Orders have been sent! Faultless has been released!

Jamie Daws
www.JAMIEDAWS.CO.UK
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Jamie was kind enough to send me the teaser for reading. First let me say that this is just an opinion of his teaser. I am being honest as Jamie wanted me to be so. For that I commend him.

I do not normally do TnR type effects. However on this one I will definitely give this a try. I like the fact that the card changes colors. All the steps are motivated and nothing fishy is going on here.

The instructions were, to me anyways, a bit unclear in some places. However nothing so drastic that would prevent you from learning this.

So bottom line is I like this.

Thanks for allowing me to view the teaser Jamie

edh
Magic is a vanishing art.
JamieD
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1800 Posts

Profile of JamieD
Hey EDH,

Thanks for your honest thoughts man!

Should have a couple of impartial reviews of the final PDF within the next week or so and just to let you all know, it's now up exclusively on http://www.MagicShop.co.uk!

http://www.magicshop.co.uk/p3677/Faultle......nfo.html

Slick!

Jamie
www.JAMIEDAWS.CO.UK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Review: "Faultless" by Jamie Daws (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL