The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » A little story of post-effect clean-up and "magician's guilt" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Futurist
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of The Futurist
On Sunday I learnt a valuable lesson about moves under misdirection and "magician's guilt". Basically, I was in my local park and doing a quick coin trick for two spectators - a girl of 7-8 years and a woman in her 60s. It was a trick that required the use of a gimmick, essentially, and I ended up with my left hand "dirty".

The thing is, when they witnessed the effect and turned to each other to exchange glances, I, of course, saw my opportunity to ditch the gimmick in my left-hand pocket. But I didn't do the ditch with undue haste - as I have been guilty of before, I have to say! I just casually moved my hand over, dropped the thing in my pocket to clean up, and moved my hand back to where it had been earlier, without any sudden, jerky movements. And in doing this I felt a lot better, as if I wasn't betraying any magician's guilt in my general body language.

As they turned to face me again, the little girl said "Well, it must be in..." pointing to my now empty left hand Smile Lesson learnt: my ditch, performed at an easy pace without any rush, had gone unnoticed.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2925 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
That's what you call "Growing" in the art of magic.
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8687 Posts

Profile of harris
Taking advantage of the moment is a wonderful thing. Thanks for sharing.

Timing is important with comedy, theatre and magic.

You might also try to take something out, rather than just "put".

If someone wants to reconstruct, given time they just might do it. (regardless of how we frame things) Giving them less to do that ...priceless....
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
scaevola
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of scaevola
I have to say that ditching too quickly ruined many an effect before I matured to the level that you are at. Living guilt free isn't easy but it sure makes your magic better! Malini apparently would wait FOREVER to ditch or the like.
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
It's a bit like coming in contact with a strange dog. If you are afraid he'll know it and if you run he'll chase you....but if you keep your cool every thing will be okay.
Wes
The Futurist
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of The Futurist
Thanks for the responses, guys. I'll forever remember this Sunday morning as a pivotal moment that taught me a lesson in comportment Smile Little events like this are giving me the confidence to try out ever more brazen moves without telegraphing any anxiety or guilt. It's a constant source of amazement to me, finding out just how much I can get away with, be it a hidden-in-plain-sight TT or a move.

Wes, that analogy is spot on!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » A little story of post-effect clean-up and "magician's guilt" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL