The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Marketing Program (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
870 Posts

Profile of jskalon
Has anyone used this:

http://www.magicmarketingcenter.com/birthdayPT

I'd like to see a review if you have.
Thanks
Jack Skalon

"That's my story and I'm stickin' to it"
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
No, but I have been taking a look at it myself. I have Eric Paul's "How to be your area's top children's entertainer" and was looking to dig deeper. Placing a parent magazine ad, tear off flyers has brought little success. Although they didn't bring home the $$, they are just another way to touch your future cusomters. The parent magazine ad has to go...it's way to expensive!
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
Trickychaz,

I think a lot of performers make the same mistake. They buy a marketing course and pick out one or two ideas and are then surprised when the phone doesn't start ringing. And many of the marketing courses are to blame, because they don't give the level of detail you need. And they don't tell you that you need to take a holistic approach to your marketing. Things like parents magazines are only one piece of the puzzle.

Before you placed your ad, did you call round other advertisers to see whether it was working for them? Did you go to see if the magazines were being distributed in your target neighborhoods? Has your ad been consistent and on the right side of a right-hand page? Does your ad direct people to a good web site? Does the web site convert visitors into callers? When they call, do you convert them into customers? After your show, do you follow-up and generate referral business?

My course is a 30-day course. I have some detailed info on parents magazines and how to get the most out of them - including how to slash the cost of your ad!

But it is only one small part of a much larger approach to marketing your services.

I will be previewing it at my lecture at the Kidvention convention on Friday. If you would like to be added to my email list to receive more information when I officially open the doors, please drop me an email.

In the meantime, watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A74I9PtNLI

Best,
James
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
James: I really enjoyed the video (you did a great job!)

It's true: the toughest yet most important element is to get all marketing efforts working in synergy.
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
James Munton
That is exactly the problem I've had with the couple of marketing courses I've had so far. I've learned a lot and it sometimes seems to be slowly coming together, but a lot of the "nitty gritty" like the details you mentioned just aren't there.

Looking forward to the course
Courtney
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
My ad has been consistantly on the left side of the page. I have had a lot of trouble since running with them. Only one sale and a few calls for the past three months. The ad runs 165.00 for the first time and then $125. thereafter. I received the 2nd bill and it was for 165.00

I constantly get sales calls from their staff. When my specific advertiser calls to discusss the ad...she doesn't seem to care a lick about hearing what I have to say and quickly gets me off the phone.

The first ad that I ran had ink run onto it from the right page ad. I will not be afraid to admit though that they first few calls that I got..I lacked in sales over the phone, but am much better now.

Quote:
On 2010-01-26 15:13, James Munton wrote:
Trickychaz,

I think a lot of performers make the same mistake. They buy a marketing course and pick out one or two ideas and are then surprised when the phone doesn't start ringing. And many of the marketing courses are to blame, because they don't give the level of detail you need. And they don't tell you that you need to take a holistic approach to your marketing. Things like parents magazines are only one piece of the puzzle.

Before you placed your ad, did you call round other advertisers to see whether it was working for them? Did you go to see if the magazines were being distributed in your target neighborhoods? Has your ad been consistent and on the right side of a right-hand page? Does your ad direct people to a good web site? Does the web site convert visitors into callers? When they call, do you convert them into customers? After your show, do you follow-up and generate referral business?

My course is a 30-day course. I have some detailed info on parents magazines and how to get the most out of them - including how to slash the cost of your ad!

But it is only one small part of a much larger approach to marketing your services.

I will be previewing it at my lecture at the Kidvention convention on Friday. If you would like to be added to my email list to receive more information when I officially open the doors, please drop me an email.

In the meantime, watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A74I9PtNLI

Best,
James

I am slowly going down the list of marketing tactics and closely monitoring the results. I have a local showcase @ a home show and am interested in seeing if it brings in any business. The best results so far have came from 1. keeping in touch with past customers 2. referrals 3. online 4. live advertising
jackturk
View Profile
Elite user
463 Posts

Profile of jackturk
"And many of the marketing courses are to blame, because they don't give the level of detail you need. And they don't tell you that you need to take a holistic approach to your marketing. Things like parents magazines are only one piece of the puzzle."

I don't recall in any thing I've ever produced, written, or promoted stating that there's a single "magic bullet" to getting gigs. Absolutely you have to use a variety of methods, just as Chaz noted above.

In my birthday course noted at the beginning of this thread I cover Google Adwords, Parenting Mags, thank you notes, and referral strategies including the necessary realization that your show is in fact a live demo / commercial that should motivate and produce subsequent gigs and referrals.

You need to utilize a variety of methods - especially these days - to book gigs.

--Jack Turk
"59 Ways To Recession Proof Your Entertainment Business -- FREE!"
http://www.GetLeadsLikeCrazy.com

"How To Make $25,000 a Year Doing Birthday Parties Part-Time"
http://www.magicmarketingcenter.com/birthdayPT
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
I should mention that I do have this course. I thinks it's great, though I haven't put everything into practice yet. I have learned a lot, used a few great ideas and I'm sure that everything else will work as well.

Also... it's only $30 (!!!), TOTALLY worth it!
I'll still be getting Mr. munton's course as well.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7396 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
A key word to keep in your mind, is "Synergy."

That is MANY things working together to make you a business success. And of course, most of those things are not passive, but active.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
870 Posts

Profile of jskalon
Man, there are so many different programs to look at. The trick in my mind is to find the one that is the best starting point. I realize there is not a magic bullet or a be all course. At ths point it is a matter of what th wallet can handle.
by the way. I do apreciate the help I receive here (thanks guys). This is a great place to hang (Thanks Steve).
Jack
Jack Skalon

"That's my story and I'm stickin' to it"
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
Jack,

I wasn't specifically referring to your course when I said that. I didn't mention any particular courses. I haven't seen your course. To be honest, I thought you were just selling the old Dave Dee stuff.

If you have updated it, that's great, because I think one of the reasons people are skeptical of marketing courses is because they bought all the Dave Dee stuff and realized sending out six-page sales letters two weeks apart with dollar bills stuck to them just wasn't working. I'm glad you understand the importance of
a multi-layered approach.

And I think another reason people are reluctant to invest in marketing information is that people have realized that most of the courses are put out by people who don't actually do much performing. Recently, I went to the web site of a well-known marketing person who shall remain nameless. He has his schedule on his site and it was practically empty.

And yet, there is a need for good materials about marketing. I've had several emails from guys who lost their jobs last year and are looking to build their magic business to help support their family. And people are angry that they have spent a lot of money on courses and coaching phone calls that really didn't deliver on their promises.

Again, this is not a personal attack on you. I am talking in general terms about all the crappy stuff that is out there. I'm sure you know some of the stuff I am talking about.

Best,
James
lou serrano
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles, CA
670 Posts

Profile of lou serrano
Quote:
On 2010-01-27 17:22, James Munton wrote:

And I think another reason people are reluctant to invest in marketing information is that people have realized that most of the courses are put out by people who don't actually do much performing.

It seems to me that most magicians are willing to spend quite a bit of money on a new trick, but won't spend any money to save their life. I know quite a few magicians in my area, that are well known in the magic community who are struggling to stay afloat, yet won't spend a dime on purchasing marketing materials.

Quote:
And yet, there is a need for good materials about marketing. I've had several emails from guys who lost their jobs last year and are looking to build their magic business to help support their family. And people are angry that they have spent a lot of money on courses and coaching phone calls that really didn't deliver on their promises.

There is definitely a need for this type of information, unfortunately, people don't buy what they need, they buy what they want.

It's also interesting that people blame the marketing materials and coaching programs for their lack of success, when they should be looking at themselves. I can't tell you how many times I've sat down with clients, gave them a ton of pertinent information and action steps to help build their business, and a year later they still had not implemented any of the ideas I shared.

None of the courses on the market are the magic bullet to success. They all require action on the part of the purchaser. As I tell all of my clients, "Knowledge without action is useless. It's only knowledge put into action that produces results."

Respectfully,

Lou Serrano
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Knowledge + Action = Power

Perhaps the best marketing you can do is being seen in person. I have a local magician that hands of b-day shows, and nearly all of them knew of him b/c of a fair/festival show.

On the note of coaching and marketing courses. A mentor can only help to a certain degree, and the rest lies in your hands. I didn't have a budget to market my services and didn't get anything out of my coaching calls. This particular coach could have told me millions of FREE tactics to get more work..to make me more money, but instead it was (you lack capitol) @ $300/month I figured I would be paying somone to help me get more shows. After 3 months, I realized what I could be spending that money on that would make more money...line my pocket and not the coaches pocket.

This is not to say that coaches will do you know good, but you have to find someone who will know your current situation, knows your market specifically etc.

Example is Jack Turk....he is strictly a birthday party entertainer. If you were looking to go into that market...he would probally be a good coach for you. There are other variables though...consider the fact that the marketing course that you buy is from a magician that lives in a metro city. You on the other hand live in a rural area. The results will differ greatly depending upon local.
lou serrano
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles, CA
670 Posts

Profile of lou serrano
Results will differ if your market is a local market, but if you're working the corporate market (i.e. trade shows, sales meetings) it doesn't really matter where you live, as long as you're close to a major airport.

Lou
Majestic12
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
643 Posts

Profile of Majestic12
Quote:
On 2010-01-27 18:55, trickychaz wrote:
Knowledge + Action = Power

Perhaps the best marketing you can do is being seen in person. I have a local magician that hands of b-day shows, and nearly all of them knew of him b/c of a fair/festival show.

On the note of coaching and marketing courses. A mentor can only help to a certain degree, and the rest lies in your hands. I didn't have a budget to market my services and didn't get anything out of my coaching calls. This particular coach could have told me millions of FREE tactics to get more work..to make me more money, but instead it was (you lack capitol) @ $300/month I figured I would be paying somone to help me get more shows. After 3 months, I realized what I could be spending that money on that would make more money...line my pocket and not the coaches pocket.

This is not to say that coaches will do you know good, but you have to find someone who will know your current situation, knows your market specifically etc.

Example is Jack Turk....he is strictly a birthday party entertainer. If you were looking to go into that market...he would probally be a good coach for you. There are other variables though...consider the fact that the marketing course that you buy is from a magician that lives in a metro city. You on the other hand live in a rural area. The results will differ greatly depending upon local.

Actually Jack Turk does a whole lot more... I think? He does more then birthday programs.
Cody Moynihan
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Cody Moynihan
Hi
I have Jacks Course and I love it I got it 2 weeks ago and have been able to book 3 shows off of it so far just by using the website he gives you and a few other tips.
If anyone has any questions about it feel free to pm me.
Thanks,
Cody
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Quote:
On 2010-01-27 23:25, Cody Moynihan wrote:
Hi
I have Jacks Course and I love it I got it 2 weeks ago and have been able to book 3 shows off of it so far just by using the website he gives you and a few other tips.
If anyone has any questions about it feel free to pm me.
Thanks,
Cody

What tactics did you apply in only 3 weeks to book 3 shows? Sounds like a quick return on investment. It took me over 2 months to bring home 5 shows per month..just curious!
lou serrano
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles, CA
670 Posts

Profile of lou serrano
Quote:
On 2010-01-28 01:20, trickychaz wrote:
What tactics did you apply in only 3 weeks to book 3 shows? Sounds like a quick return on investment. It took me over 2 months to bring home 5 shows per month..just curious!

The investment on Jack Turk's course is less than $30. Instead of asking about the tactics that are taught, why not invest in his product and find out for yourself. He offers a 100% money-back guarantee. You have nothing to lose and possibly much to gain.

By the way, I don't know Jack. I don't own his course, and my target market isn't children's birthday parties, but if it was, I'd be the first in line to invest in his course.

Respectfully,

Lou Serrano
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Quote:
On 2010-01-28 01:32, lou serrano wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-01-28 01:20, trickychaz wrote:

The investment on Jack Turk's course is less than $30. Instead of asking about the tactics that are taught, why not invest in his product and find out for yourself. He offers a 100% money-back guarantee. You have nothing to lose and possibly much to gain.

By the way, I don't know Jack. I don't own his course, and my target market isn't children's birthday parties, but if it was, I'd be the first in line to invest in his course.

Respectfully,

Lou Serrano

I deffinately already have his course on my purchase list! For only 30$ you can't go wrong even if you only get one new tactic out of it.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I wonder about the concentration on "tactics" - sounds almost like you're a hunter trying to bag the most and biggest deer. Yah, in one sense marketing _has_ to be about finding out what works to get to the customer you need to reach.

I just know that I can feel it when I'm approached by someone who sees me as a target, rather than a real live person. What "tactic" is going to "get to me"? The one that lets me know you value me as a person, not just a wallet in your gunsights.

I really don't worry about this "personal touch" from Wal Mart or the gas station. I'm not emotionally involved with those purchases. But when you're going to present me with the opportunity to part with a major chunk of money - especially in this economy - and I feel like "you" (used generically, not personally) are simply trying out different baits to see which one I'll bite on, then I'm totally turned off.

I speak as someone who's never looked at a marketing course (other than reading some books and blogs), but been the target of much marketing over the years! What ever happened to just being a nice personable guy that people want to do business with? Or doesn't that bring in enough money?

Ed
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Marketing Program (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL