The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Marketing Program (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Quote:
On 2010-01-31 13:18, magicFreak2 wrote:
As soon as I saw the big red text in a box, I knew it was a no-go. Anything that looks even remotely like that, with huge, bold and italic text is NOT what you're looking for.

So, what do you recommend looking for in a marketing course, and why do you feel that this one is not valuable? Just curious

Charles
jackturk
View Profile
Elite user
463 Posts

Profile of jackturk
"Why 7?"

I believe research has shown that prices that end in 7 sell better. I use this in my magic show packages, they all end in a 7 rather than a round number.

(I cannot, however, cite the exact source of this factoid, so it could well be one of those urban marketing legends.)

If a prospect asks "why such a strange number?" I tell them it has to do with my rigorously extensive accounting and tracking system whereby every penny is scrutinized for maximum ROI...

--Jack Turk
"59 Ways To Recession Proof Your Entertainment Business -- FREE!"
http://www.GetLeadsLikeCrazy.com

"How To Make $25,000 a Year Doing Birthday Parties Part-Time"
http://www.magicmarketingcenter.com/birthdayPT
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2755 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Back when I was in the supermarket business we would often
have sale items priced in 7's. Even today Walmart likes the
odd number endings. Shoppers automatically see $2.99 the same
as $3.00. But $2.97, well now that's much cheaper. Smile

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
It's funny how little techniques like those change the buying decision. Thanks for sharing, and I may even give it a try.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20383 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2010-01-31 00:31, trickychaz wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-01-31 00:11, Dannydoyle wrote:
Yea it is confusing to me. I mean yea there is a lot of information out there and if you don't like it then don't buy more of it. The idea that it should be free seems a bit of an odd concept to me is all.

You're right! It is an odd concept, and to be honest..I don't even know why I said it! Lets move on to a different subject shall we?

Well you said it many times many places, but ok lets drop it.

Could we also try to limit the number of exclimation points to one per post? Nobody can be that excited.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
[/quote]
Could we also try to limit the number of exclimation points to one per post? Nobody can be that excited.
[/quote]

LOL, I wonder how many people think that when they read sales letters.
Not me, I'm a sucker for a "Kenndey-style" sales letter myself, but I've heard this and similar comments a lot before.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20383 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well, naw not going to get into it. I am sure everyone can show studies where it is brilliant sales writing so I don't want to open Pandora's Box. Suffice as to say that when on an internet chat board it probably is less than effective.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Quote:
On 2010-01-31 16:40, Dannydoyle wrote:
Well, naw not going to get into it. I am sure everyone can show studies where it is brilliant sales writing so I don't want to open Pandora's Box. Suffice as to say that when on an internet chat board it probably is less than effective.

Everyone has their pet peeves...I forgive you Danny, and will make sure I cut back on the heavy usage of exclamation points! It's a lot better than many other habits that I could be accustomed to. Thank God!
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
Just out of interest... do any of you currently send out Dan Kennedy/Dave Dee-type sales letters and to what markets?

James
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
I have never studied studied sales letters, but learned from what Eric Paul included in his children's entertainers course.

The first sales letter that I sent out was designed without any knowledge and created fantastic results. It was sent to 24 libraries and I received 6 inquiries and booked 3 libraries...pretty good return. It contained bulleted benefit oriented points, no headline and was only 1 page. I included in the mailing a photo page, coloring page, newspaper article and coupon.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20383 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2010-01-31 21:48, trickychaz wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-01-31 16:40, Dannydoyle wrote:

Everyone has their pet peeves...I forgive you Danny, and will make sure I cut back on the heavy usage of exclamation points! It's a lot better than many other habits that I could be accustomed to. Thank God!

Arrogance is a pet peeve of mine actually. (what does a pet peeve eat? How often must they be fed? Do they need to be walked?)

It is not about a "peeve" it is about perception. You are free to have people perceve you any way you like. If you think that a lot of exclimation points helps this process along then go for it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
James, based on the following Kennedy has (not inside magic), I would say thousands send out the larger/longer letters. I do not (but for a different reason than most would think on here). There would seem to be chapters of his formal group in cities throughout the U.S.

Two major corps that do send out the long letters up here are the Readers' Digest, and Publishers' Clearing House, which I believe you have both in the U.S.

I think it is also determined by market, but where I forego the longer letter, I get mailings out more frequently.

Blair
RebelEntertainer
View Profile
New user
John Abrams
73 Posts

Profile of RebelEntertainer
I do believe in the long sales letter. I use it for folks that have requested info. And I use it for a number of markets.

But it certainly isn't my entire arsenal. It's only one of many weapons.

I also believe that the exercise of putting together the long sales letter (with all the benefit oriented copy, headlines, subheads, guarantees, offer etc...) is underappreciated.

The beauty of putting it all together is that you now have a vehicle to cut and paste for other media (websites, mag ads, email marketing etc...) using slight alterations for each. Shortening, lengthening, adding additional key words and key concepts.

Once done, it's a great springboard and shortcut for all your marketing.

I understand that in it's purest form it should appear as a personal letter, but the long sales letter can also take many different forms: Brochures, webpages, multi step email campaigns and more.

Even a lot of Kennedy's sales letters selling his own products now look like a sort of cross breed sales letter/brochure.

The key is to test and use the form that works best for your market.

It's not the only thing, but everyone should know how to do it. It makes the rest of your marketing challenges much easier.

My two cents.

-John Abrams
Rebel Entertainer and Guy that believes in great copy
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Quote:
On 2010-01-26 11:37, jskalon wrote:
Has anyone used this:

http://www.magicmarketingcenter.com/birthdayPT

I'd like to see a review if you have.
Thanks

I just purchased the downloadable version and will let you know how it is. Since it's put out by Jack Turk I am more than confident that it's a great program.

Posted: Feb 5, 2010 2:17am
There are some pretty darn good tips contained in the course. I have only listened and browsed, but I would recommend it to anyone that is looking to make more money in the Birthday Party Business.

Thanks Jack

Sincerely,
Charles Watson
Oscar999
View Profile
Veteran user
376 Posts

Profile of Oscar999
As a direct response copywriter, I've been following this thread with heightened interest. I read the sales copy promoting Jack's course, and before I realized it who it was for - I was thinking to myself; this is some really good copy!

Then I saw the picture of Jack and it all made sense.

Jack gets it. He created a darn good "offer." And really, with all the talk about what works and what doesn't, there's some great take-aways in Jack's copy that would be a good "model" for your own.

And John Abrams point about "repurposing" copy is brilliant. Whenever I have a big promotion to write involving a series of e-mails or sequenced mailings driving the reader to a landing page or long form sales letter. I always start with the landing/sales page - so that I have a "source" of copy to use in my e-mails, squeeze pages and anything I else I might need it for.

And about the overuse of exclamation points, or as some term them, slammers; when everything is emphasised, nothing is emphasised.

I cut my teeth on Kennedy style letters, but even he would agree, I'm sure, that most who attempt to use hype and attention getting techniques fail because they don't understand that those techniques only work within the context of drawing attention to real, solid content.

Many people don't understand what it is that works on a certain piece ... but they notice the hype and only copy that, and then wonder why it failed to produce the result they were after.

Great discussion. I hope it continues.

Oscar
TheMagicianGuide
View Profile
New user
Wheat Ridge Colorado
90 Posts

Profile of TheMagicianGuide
One problem remains that there truly exist "great" magician marketers . . . but many of their systems as simply out of date . . . yes, its great to research and discover new methods of marketing that are out there - but, realize - the entire realm of marketing has changed (for most every business in every industy, not just entertainment) over the last few years. If any "system" focuses on age-old "print" advertising methods, you have to take it with a grain of salt these days and realize its, well, "old" news really . . .

Truly, track your customer demographic in terms of advertising and how they found you. . . also think about the customers you truly "want" to have and to be able to reach . . . be very weary in terms of any print "yellow-page" type advertsing these days - they are starving for advertising dollars and will promise you the world - but the simple fact is, few people open up that yellowbook these days . . . In time, you should really be exchanging your print advertising dollars for internet targeted marketing efforts as fast as you can . . .
TheMagicianGuide.com - National Magician Directory.

The Magician Guide is part of Kids Party Resource network of childrens entertainers and event rentals.
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Quote:
On 2010-02-07 14:05, TheMagicianGuide wrote:
One problem remains that there truly exist "great" magician marketers . . . but many of their systems as simply out of date . . . yes, its great to research and discover new methods of marketing that are out there - but, realize - the entire realm of marketing has changed (for most every business in every industy, not just entertainment) over the last few years. If any "system" focuses on age-old "print" advertising methods, you have to take it with a grain of salt these days and realize its, well, "old" news really . . .

Truly, track your customer demographic in terms of advertising and how they found you. . . also think about the customers you truly "want" to have and to be able to reach . . . be very weary in terms of any print "yellow-page" type advertsing these days - they are starving for advertising dollars and will promise you the world - but the simple fact is, few people open up that yellowbook these days . . . In time, you should really be exchanging your print advertising dollars for internet targeted marketing efforts as fast as you can . . .

Jack covers internet marketing basics and google adwords. He also has an interesting idea on how to pull more from your print advertising...I will not reveal it here, but it's great info.

After being full time since November, I have made the decision to focus most of my marketing efforts online, but not rely soley on those methods. Print Advertising is expensive, but if you aren't spending money you aren't making money, but you have to track those ads and make sure they are effective

P.S. I am not an expert, but have the course, read it and feel it has some interesting topics.
Thom Bliss
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern California
269 Posts

Profile of Thom Bliss
There's an old saying that half your advertising is wasted - the trick is to find out which half.

Tracking how your clients found you is very important.

I dropped all yellow page advertising because, for me, it just wasn't paying.

Right now, most of my clients find me through a Yahoo! search. Which means I need to work to become more visible in Google.

Web marketing is great. Unlike print, once you have your site, and a host, it basically costs you nothing to have color, more or fewer words, etc. And you can change it anytime you want.

Thom
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Quote:
On 2010-02-10 13:01, Thom Bliss wrote:
There's an old saying that half your advertising is wasted - the trick is to find out which half.

Tracking how your clients found you is very important.

I dropped all yellow page advertising because, for me, it just wasn't paying.

Right now, most of my clients find me through a Yahoo! search. Which means I need to work to become more visible in Google.

Web marketing is great. Unlike print, once you have your site, and a host, it basically costs you nothing to have color, more or fewer words, etc. And you can change it anytime you want.

Thom

I just dropped my parent magazine ad for the same reason. In 3 months I have only had 4 inquries and 1 booking.

I am thinking about running it again early or middle spring to prepare for summer parties.
Thom Bliss
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern California
269 Posts

Profile of Thom Bliss
I didn't have much luck with parenting magazines either, so I dropped them. But apparently some of my competitors think they're doing okay, because they keep advertising in them. Maybe they have found ads that work in parenting magazines, maybe they just don't know where their clients find them.

But I still give out business cards, even though nobody has ever said they got my number from a business card.

Thom
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Marketing Program (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL