The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Marketing Program (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
1354 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
As far as long form sales letters go...

It doesn't matter what I think, it doesn't matter what my sister thinks, and it doesn't matter what you think - if we're talking about whether they work.

They do. I may not read them, but someone, somewhere is, and will continue to do so. Why?

Because they still work for those who do them right. There are entire markets that solely use long-form copy as their main sales funnel end point.

And remember, copy doesn't have to be in print either. Infomercial copy is the same formula (more or less) used in written copy.

Do I get sick of the same old trite stuff that's so prevalent in different markets?

Sure. I think most of us do. And yet, there it is all the same. Direct response marketing works when done well.

And there's the rub. Is there a lot of saturation in some magic markets. Sure. That's why it behooves you (I love that word don't you?) to learn a little more about why you're sending what you're sending.

When you understand why it works (or doesn't), you can really cut out what doesn't work and zone it on what does. Yes, it's not easy, but if you treat your marketing with half as much attention as you do to moves, or other things you love, you'll surpise yourself.

You'll see that you can learn to market effectively.

There are so many resources available here. And so many of them have a LOT to offer.

I'm not really sure why I wanted to reply, but a few posts just got me thinking.
People are becoming more "immune" to direct-response copy...in the same old format.

Again, that's not to say it doesn't work. But the idea behind any good copy should be a message to the reader, about the reader's problems they may be facing (or hopes) and showing them the potential for a solution.

But you have to speak to their needs. Period.

Why does long copy work? Take political fundraisers, charity groups or even the Sierra Club for example. Those folks pay a LOT of money to the guys that write the copy and controls.

And they do it because they get results. And that's what matters period (in these cases). On top of that, the letters are constantly being tested against other versions.

And they take those tests to the bank when they work. They know their numbers.

So back to the topic of marketing programs. Just think about it. Can you use long-form letters? Sure. Should you blindly "use" them as is without any other tool in your marketing arsenal?

Of course not. But I don't believe anyone is telling you to.

When you understand that the main purpose of a (hopefully good) letter is to catch the attention of your intended audience, then sell them, then you're a lot closer to developing your own material.

If you're bad at good salesmanship, then...well there's a good library near you. But a lot of the folks here can help you shortcut the learning process - just don't forget to read their material (whoever it may be) on two levels.

What they teach you, and why they're teaching you what they're teaching you.

I hope I made some sense...with a Red Bull in hand and a few spare minutes I ended up on a longer rant.

Sorry folks.

:)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Marketing Program (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL