The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Something actually funny.... for once (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I've found that even with all the great lines I've come up with over the years, often the things that get the most laughs are the impromptu ad-libs that are not really all that funny standing on their own.

So if you want something that is actually funny learn how to perform WITH your spectators not AT your spectators. If you're standing there doing rehearsed patter, it will only be "so funny" and from what I see on the Café, that means "not very".

Learn how to get your audience interacting with you as opposed to you performing AT them in your monkey suit.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
I look more like a penquin performing. Did you know that Rodney Dangerfield scripted every word, and I mean every word, of everything he every said on Carson? Did you know that David Letterman scripts every word, including Paul's "reactions" to his "ad libs" during his monologue? Whatever floats your boat- whatever works- we're all different for sure... Scripted magic is what I prefer moreoften that when the magish is trying to joke around with his audience- which only works if he/she has the personality for it... No one set of rules for this Café'...
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
That's for sure Bus. All the different styles and approaches are fascinating.
Bantering with the audience fits my character best. Although there's a scripted framework, I want it to feel like having fun with friends. Every crowd is different and I like everything flexible and spontaneous.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-01-26 22:07, jazzy snazzy wrote:
Although there's a scripted framework, I want it to feel like having fun with friends. Every crowd is different and I like everything flexible and spontaneous.

That's the correct approach.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-01-26 18:27, MagicBus wrote:
Did you know that Rodney Dangerfield scripted every word, and I mean every word, of everything he every said on Carson?

Are you saying Rodney and Johnny made sure EVERY SINGLE LINE was scripted from both of them? I find that highly unlikely and highly unnecessary from those two. Did they also make sure NO audience member ever shouted anything funny from their seat because Rodney couldn't handle it or didn't want it?

Johnny probably gave out a list of questions to which Rodney scripted his responses , like any pro would do, but I doubt everything was scripted. Completely unnecessary. What if Johnny said something funny to an answer by Rodney? What would Rodney do? Just sit there silent waiting for the next question? What if an audience member shouted out something. Rodney is going to just sit there? Or not be able to come up with something funny at that time?

I call B.S. The pro's work FROM a script. They just don't recite lines, squawking at the audience like a bird. There's give and take, which is the point of this thread. The funny that comes from spontaneous moments can be far funnier than all your scripted funny-ness that you spend years developing. And the great ones learn to be good at it and learn to weave it in.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I have a lot of bits of business that only play if the audience thinks it's an off the cuff remark.

In reality, it's scripted
howiedidit
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of howiedidit
Making scripted material appear improvised is the mark of a true performer.
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Many years ago, I met an old Vaudeville slapstick comic. His act was EXACTLY the same every time. It was like watching a movie over and over.
He always killed.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Amazing Johnathan is an example of a scripted but seemingly adlibed show. I worked with Johnathan in Nevada almost 20 years ago and the show and lines are basically still the same today.
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

We're getting closer....
Scripts are great. One thing that is great about them is that once you have them down pat that you can go OFF SCRIPT to react to a spontaneous moment and then COME BACK.

My original point is that you can engineer moments into your SCRIPT that actually encourage the show to go OFF SCRIPT momentarily (if the audience takes the bait properly).

And when you do go OFF SCRIPT, it can allow for moments that are FAR FUNNIER than what your base script allows. Because an audience likes to see you deal well with OFF SCRIPT situations.

Yes some of those spontaneous moments can be scripted. That is a no brainer. We already know that. This is the NEXT step in the journey.

.... or you can be satisfied doing your vanishing bandana out of the box.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Something actually funny.... for once (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL