The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Any advice on COuntryman headset please? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
KRJWORKS
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of KRJWORKS
Great comments from all and Dan especially has (in his usual excellent and clear manner) covered pretty much everything. My 2 cents:

I've used Countryman E6 and B3 mics in a variety of productions. Their higher cost is due in part to being built to withstand quite a bit of abuse in a production environment. However, even the best mics can fall far short of expectations if not properly placed or used in a venue plagued with other "challenges" (location of speakers, acoustics, etc. etc.). Being a sound designer I'm admittedly biased, but I agree with Dan that it is extremely challenging to sound good in every venue. The key is to apply the KISS principle - make your mic rig as simple and foolproof as practical. Then forget about it and focus on your performance.

Some guidelines that have served me well:
-Whenever possible, use a mic attached to your HEAD so that it stays in the same relation to your mouth as you move. This rules out anything that clips to your torso.
-Have the mic as close to your mouth as practical (depending on the type of mic), but NEVER have it in FRONT of your mouth. This risks the "thumping" (called "plosives") that Matthew mentioned. The guide from Northern Sound (one of my favorite dealers for sound equipment, by the way) is a good start, but I'd take it a bit further. Proper placement should be made first as they show, but then do what I call the "smile test" - check how far back the corner of your mouth extends when you smile. This better approximates where you mouth will be when you speak. Like the neck extension, everyone is different and I've encountered some people who have VERY wide mouth extensions and their mics to be adjusted back farther than average.
-Resist the temptation to curve the mic in towards the mouth more than a little bit. This risks plosives and/or unwanted breathing noises. By the way, NEVER try to bend an E6 at the tip where the mic is - this can snap the mic element off - a $300 mistake! Bend the boom wire GRADUALLY by drawing your fingers along it.
-I agree with Dan - don't worry too much about the visual mic being distracting. I've seen performers with HUGE boom mics on with bulky foam windscreens, but if they're doing their job right, nobody pays attention to that after 10 seconds or so. Sound problems (lack of clarity, too quiet, etc.) are far more distracting - the human ear is much more sensitive than the eye.
-Effective "wig" mic (in the hairline) rigging is generally beyond the scope of many performers unless they have a sound tech who knows what they are doing. Usually not worth the trouble considering the other options available.

Ken
jeremys
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of jeremys
Hey All, I Pastor a fairly large church (a couple of thousand people) and we have (or should I say HAD) about 4 or 5 Countryman E6's. They ALL break. The connector cables go out ALL THE TIME. And just this month ALL THREE of our E6 mics themselves have gone out. Granted, they get a lot of use but they are fairly well cared for and not really on the road much. We are going to try one of the DBA 4088 and see if they are more reliable. I can tell you FOR SURE that Countryman's customer service is non existant. They are just the worst.

So, in my humble opinion...there has to be something better than the E6 out there. Has anybody used the AUDIO TECHNICA one that looks like the E6?
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
852 Posts

Profile of illusions & reality
I've owned a Countryman & upgraded to the DPA. I couldn't be happier.

Lou
Ms. Morgan
View Profile
Veteran user
The Garden State
399 Posts

Profile of Ms. Morgan
Lou is right spend the money, buy a DPA they don't get any better.
World Magic Award's "Escape Artist of the Year"
www.EscapeChick.com
www.illusionbiz.com
www.WackyDracky.com
keithmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of keithmagic
I'm a bit biased, but...

http://affordableproaudio.com
Author of "The Festival Entertainer" The Professional Entertainer's Guide to Booking and Working Outdoor Fairs, Festivals, and Events.
Available at http://www.howtobookfestivals.com
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1830 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
One can go round and round. At the end of the day, when your livelihood depends on it...DPA IS the answer.

They are robust, the element is top notch and they are rock solid on your head.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
dlcmagic
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of dlcmagic
Quote:
On 2010-07-18 18:51, keithmagic wrote:
I'm a bit biased, but...

http://affordableproaudio.com

That is affordable but being so far from the mouth doesn't that make it more prone to feedback because of having to boost the level as Dan McLean Jr mentioned in a previous post?
CNYMagician
View Profile
New user
Central New York
27 Posts

Profile of CNYMagician
[quote]On 2010-02-18 12:20, Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie wrote:
Quote:
It is a fact that no magician can afford for any audience member to not hear them clearly.

Unless he is performing a "Dumb act" to music! ;-)

After hearing positive feedback from fellow Theatre technicians, I purchased a mike from "Microphone Madness"
http://www.microphonemadness.com/

A lot more affordable than a Countryman E6, but sounds good and appears to be more hardy than the E6.
I opted for the double ear version and so far am quite happy with it.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned here, regarding mike placement and all: Under NO circumstances is any microphone a replacement for learning to use your voice! I've worked with far too many people who speak softly and just figure the microphone will make them heard.

First learn to project - to be heard without any mic, then let the microphone "finish the job" and fill in the gaps!
Bruce Purdy
"Spreading laughter & wonder - one miracle at a time"
http://www.cnymagic.com
MoonRazor
View Profile
Special user
773 Posts

Profile of MoonRazor
Hey guys, looking at the DPA mics..... they are pictured with a big wind screen at the tip, is that how they are used regularly are is that just an accessory for very windy conditions. They advertise it as the most invisible system out there and then the picture shows the wind screen. thanks
magicguy22
View Profile
New user
Canada
32 Posts

Profile of magicguy22
Hey MoonRazor

I only use the windscreeen outside

PS The DPAs are a very reliable choice!
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1166 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Bruce's post said...

After hearing positive feedback from fellow Theatre technicians, I purchased a mike from "Microphone Madness"
http://www.microphonemadness.com/

A lot more affordable than a Countryman E6, but sounds good and appears to be more hardy than the E6.
I opted for the double ear version and so far am quite happy with it.

(end)

I'm just really disappointed that Mic Madness doesn't have a double earset available with the directional. I guess that they know that they'll never sell the omni's if they have the uni's available. We really need directional/cardioid for the variety of environments that we end up in. Huge mistake. Why the #$^% would they not have the cardioid with the double earset, but they DO have the cardioid with the single earset that everyone complains about falling off?

Reminds me of Countryman 15 years ago... I had to beg and beg them to put together an E6 cardioid. They were bragging about being able to do it, and I bugged them until they actually did it. That mic lasted for over a decade. I don't know if that is because it was an original, overly produced prototype mic, but it was great and durable.

I just ordered an omni dual earset mic on Ebay for under 25 bucks, and the sound techs at one show said that it sounded better than my brand new replacement Countryman E6 Cardioid with the cardioid cap on, not the hypercardioid with windscreen. Now, I keep it with me for multi performer shows where I want to have a backup or something for guys to wear who aren't used to using a wireless earset.

Jimmy
Sock Puppet Monkey
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of Sock Puppet Monkey
I've been nothing but thrilled since switching to a Countryman E6.
Christian Illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Ohio (currently located in Missouri)
503 Posts

Profile of Christian Illusionist
Does anyone know how Copperfield is miked?

This is one area where I wouldn't mind copying EXACTLY if possible. He always sounds great, but I've never been able to spot a mic anywhere on his person.

Anyone know?
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1814 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Quote:
On 2010-12-07 19:04, Christian Illusionist wrote:
Does anyone know how Copperfield is miked?

This is one area where I wouldn't mind copying EXACTLY if possible. He always sounds great, but I've never been able to spot a mic anywhere on his person.

Anyone know?

Okay, I thought someone would have spoken up already so I didn't check back. Copperfield use a small lavalier mic in his hair. It's what they do for threatre productions. For that to work, it has to be a really high quality mic on a good system.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Any advice on COuntryman headset please? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL