The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Fantasio vanishing Cane (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1723 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Hi guys,

I come to you since I have a little problem with my brand new Fantasio vanishing Cane. It disappears very slow.
Could anybody please help me and tell me how to get it faster ?
I don't really want to change my body position or cane position in the hands as I think it doesn't look as good as if you're facing the audience with the cane visible for them.
Since I got this cane I always kept it in his original box.

Thank you very much for your help in advance.

Oliver.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3622 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
How slow is it? Make a video tape of you vanishing it and watch the tape. It may not be as slow as you think.

Also, do you have a silk or silks inside? If so, change these to diamond cut silks. The appearance of the silks tends to mask the vanishing of the cane.

Jim
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1723 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Jim the cane is empty and it's so slow that my wife even sees what's happening.

Do I need to try to stock the cane reversed for a while before using it ?

This it not suggested in Fantasio's book of candels & canes.

Oliver.
markis
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of markis
From my humble experince vanishing canes of any type are much slower than an appearing cane. I have a metal vanishing cane and even after I apply WD-40 or silicon spray your going to see it collapse if its not changing into something else or not covered.
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1723 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Markis,

Years ago I used a german metal cane to vanish and I never had problems with the speed. I had more problems on the security issue. In my beginning years of magic I used to cut quiet often my fingers.
Months of "bleeding" training experience helped me to get finally through it.

Oliver.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Try slanting the cane slightly downward during the vanish. It helps.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
If the speed of the cane is too visible for your tastes, you can either vanish it with it perpendicular to the audience, or use a cane silk. Which will look like the cane has melted into a silk.
The black on black will hide the vanish.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
markis
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of markis
It seems you may be expecting too much from the cane. Unfortunately it won’t vanish into nothingness in a blink of an eye without some sort of cover. The vanishing candles are much quicker and even our hero Lance uses a bit of flash paper or puff of smoke to cover the vanish.
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1723 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Thank you everybody for your tips. I'll try them all out, combining maybe a few things and see what's working best.

Thank you very much again for your insider tips.

Oliver.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Oliver, how exactly is the cane being used? By that I mean, is the cane transforming to a silk, a streamer...? What size silk or streamer? The size of the item (both the width and the length) that the cane transforms to could be affecting the speed with which it "vanishes." Other factors that may affect the vanish is whether the cane is relatively stationary as it vanishes/transforms or whether there is a tossing motion just as the transformation is effected. An upward tossing motion helps disguise the horizontal vanish motion. I also find that an important factor is the method of folding the streamer prior to expanding the cane. I expand the cane without folding the streamer at all, and then use a very thin dowel rod to push the remaining length of the streamer loosely (not tightly) into the cane.

The first time I saw the vanishing cane effect, it was the method Fred Kaps used--rolling the cane into a sheet of newspaper whence it then vanishes. It may not be as "spectacular" as a visual, no-cover vanish... but it still fooled--and entertained--people.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
First time I ever saw a vanishing cane was used by Dick Zimmerman. He held a cane in one hand and a silk in the other and they instantly changed places. That kind of misdirection is hard to beat! Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
stuartmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Derby England (UK)
226 Posts

Profile of stuartmagic
Hello Oliver,

I hope you don't mind me asking this question, and really it is the most important one before you start thinking about what may or may not be correct with your handling technique and that is " Did you purchase the cane from a reputable dealer ?".

Sadly, especially nowadays, there are many rip offs and cheap copies of everything and anything and magic props do not escape this. I attended FISM last year in China and you could buy "Fantasio" canes for about $2 !! They were crap ! and so was the other rubbish blatent copies of tricks that this certain dealer and other similar sellers were selling and worse of all being allowed to sell.

I use Fantasio canes a lot and I have never had any problems with them. I purchase mine from Fantasio himself.

Just because it might say "Fantasio" on the box does not mean it is. I was recently approached by a magician in the UK who commented on a similar problem he was having. Upon close inspection of his so called "Fantasio" cane alongside the ones I use you could see the slight difference, but even more so when he showed me how it vanished which, yes, it was s....l....o....w !

Stuart Brown

British Magical Champion
Of Stage Manipulation 2007

http://www.themagicofstuartbrown.co.uk
http://www.stuartmagic.co.uk
bojanbarisic
View Profile
Elite user
Croatia
459 Posts

Profile of bojanbarisic
Stuart is right. Today you can buy a vanishing cane for 2 $ at some shops in China. If you are sure that you have original Fantasio vanishing cane try to expand cane in opposite direction pushing white tip thru the coil for ca 40 cm. Than use some masking tape or rubber band to keep it in that position and put it in very hot (almost boiling water). After water gets cooled your cane will be much faster but you will have a problem to keep the tip in your hand when cane collapses. I used an idea by James Holmes to make a wire stopper. It is explained in Fantasio`s book.

Hope this helps

Bojan
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1723 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Alright guys,

I'm back. Here the answers to your questions :

Amado : I've tried it out just with the cane (no silk or streamer) and I've tried it with a silk. I've used already some up - and downwards motion to "disguise" the vanish. But it's still slow to me. Of course it's even slower if it changes to a silk.

Michael : I've never seen this one. THis must have been looked like real magic.

Stuart : I understand very well your question and as I'm very concerned on the ethical part in magic I try as best as I can to get the original products from a magic dealer I can trust. Concerning the Fantasio Cane I purchased, it must be a an original since the top knop of the cane has his logo on it. I mean, I hope so..., because I've paid aswell the price for it.

Bojan : Thanks for your tip. I'll try your method aswell. What do you mean by having problems to keep the tip in your hand. Due to the hot water ??? LOL (please PM if needed). I didn't see this in his book.

Well, thank you again for all your support on this. It's great to get some help and to give some aswell. That's why I like the café.

Oliver.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2010-01-28 10:24, Oliver Ross wrote:
Jim the cane is empty and it's so slow that my wife even sees what's happening.

Do I need to try to stock the cane reversed for a while before using it ?

This it not suggested in Fantasio's book of candels & canes.

Oliver.

You mentioned that the cane had been stored in it's box. I assume that is in the closed (vanished) position. That is the correct way to store a vanishing cane.
Mister Mystery
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Something just came to mind that is more an issue with the Fantasio canes than with the metal canes:

When they are extended, it is often necessary to tighten the coils to keep the cane quite rigid. Sometimes, it is necessary so the cap will fit. This tightness will quite often slow the cane down... even a brand new one.

Just before releasing, roll both wrists in the necessary direction to loosen the coils, and then immediately release the cap end. See what happens. There will be a point between too tight and too loose. Play until you find that.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
bojanbarisic
View Profile
Elite user
Croatia
459 Posts

Profile of bojanbarisic
Oliver I mean that cane after boiling will not collapse to a coil 6 cm high as when you bought it. If you don`t make wire stopper cane will extend for ca. 20 cm in reverse direction than usual. What book by Fantasio do you have ? James Hodges Cane to silk was in Fantasio book vol.4.
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1723 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Thanks Bojan,

I've got Fantasio's own book. It must be his first one, since it has no volume.

Oliver.
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Is the number you're thinking of...
1502 Posts

Profile of elimagic
I personally preffure the german made black and white metel appearing and vanishing canes over fantasio. The german vanishing canes are superb and sooooo much faster than fantasio. ALthough when it comes to candles, nothing beats fantasio
just my humble oppinion
Eli
NickDiffatte
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of NickDiffatte
I would stay away from metal canes as much as possible for the horror stories I have heard about people getting bad bad bad cuts on their hands. Not to step on anyones toes just my opinion.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Fantasio vanishing Cane (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL