The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Video above or below the fold on website? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Right now my video is below the fold, I had a web developer friend recommend having it above the fold. He also recommended having it play automatically when they come to the page(which I stopped doing after Jack Turk and others on here were against it). So what are your thoughts on this?

I am still working on a new promo vid and am not terribly proud of the one I'm currently using as its very dated but having something is better than nothing right? Smile
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
On a separate page. No automatic playing.

Make the landing page so that it loads instantly on a 56k dial-up line. Small graphic to grab attention, compelling copy to make them want to read the rest of your site, and easy naviagtion links to get to the information they want.

Ask your exisiting customers this if they hired you SPECIFICALLY because you had video, audio, HUGE pictures or graphics, FLASH, or any of the other long-loading, or browser specific things that you can think of.

Then ask the people who clicked off of your site because they were tired of waiting for it to load, or got blasted by the UNASKED FOR sound, etc., and never called to hire you, if that's why.

Impossible? Yes, you can't know how many DIDN'T wait or DIDN'T call. You can't know how many jobs you missed because you don't have their contact info to ask them.

But I will go out on a limb and say, no guarantee, that although a VERY FEW customers were HELPPED by the video, etc. You absolutely LOST customers because of it.

I'm not saying not to use such things. I'm saying put them on another page and give them the choice. AND (this is valuable advice) make your site equally attractive and work equally well for those who choose to not click on the pages with that stuff. Their money's just as green, isn't it?

Please don't take any of this personally Hart. You are one of the guys here I appreciate reading.

And my opinion to your question of something being better than nothing is: No. If you don't think it's good enough, nobody else will either. (In the context of your question, that is.)

Beano

I'm wrong way more than I'm right. If I weren't, I wouldn't be me.
MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
752 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
Beno, the only problem with what you said..

is marketing Sherpa's reports disagree

1. Video above the fold increases time on a site (don't auto play, let them click play)

2. Analytics will show Bounce Rate, Average time on site, and #'s of people coming through the site.

3. Video on a website Increases conversion

4. Video online is the MOST viewed media (only google's homepage gets more traffic than YOUTUBE)

5. Did I mention that Marketing Sherpa's 2009-2010 report shows that Video increases conversion?

You must test..
if you don't know who to listen to setup a A/B split test.. show half the people a page with a video above the fold with a google voice number.. and the other half with a different google voice # .. run both on analytics..

just my 2 cents worth
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
Mike,

You know more about such things than I do. And I always learn something when I read your posts.

I wonder if #4 there separates the kids and others that go to YOUTUBE for entertainment versus people who use it for business.

I can't use it at all so I don't even know what all is there. But my perspectives come from having a very narrow target group and using the web for specific reasons, in this case business.

I agree that video and audio and other bells and whistles CAN be very useful for certain things. But why not have a fast loading landing page that gives viewers a choice? Personally, I wouldn't mind if the FLASH stuff was on the landing page as long as it didn't take the whole page and there was an option to go to a parallel page with all of the important info minus the FLASH.

Testing... probably the most important thing to do in all marketing plans, right?

Thanks for the reply.
Beano
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
Video is not a "bells and whisles" addition to a website. It is as integral as the copy. Media is here to stay.

In fact, you'll probably notice that Google has started serving up YOUTUBE videos within its searches. And the click through rates are huge.

Think about it... you get a list of blue links on your google search, and half way down the page is a PICTURE of part of a video with a play button. Draws the eye much more than a sea of blue links.

And another observation?

Apple just spent millions of dollars developing a tablet computer called the iPad that is designed for consuming ebooks, websites, and VIDEO in the form of movies, tv shows and a built in Youtube app.

As for fast loading pages, as Mike said, you can have a FAST loading page that loads a very small jpeg image (thumbnail) of the video and only loads the full sized video after you click on it.

So you get the benefits of a fast loading page and the benefits of video.
MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
752 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
Beano,

no youtube doesn't split the #'s, but.. there is a increasingly high number of businesses that use it because of the traffic..

because of traffic videos now show up in the search results pages.. so optimizing titles and descriptions to get rankings on keywords GREAT IDEA

FLASH.. I hate it.. it's a pain to get rankings with it.. it's a pain to edit. it's a pain to keep it fresh and new.. vrs lets say the golden child of ranking Wordpress (yes I am still preaching it)

there are work arounds, but WHY bother..

When you have the video show and then you click to play it doesn't slow load time enough to negate the benefit you are getting from it.. the players are usually around 100- 150k (on 56k a max of 3 sec)

in my area and demographic if your on 56k your not a client.. this is also a location issue (I'm in Metro Atlanta) I would have to actually LOOK to see if anyone still offers dialup here..

Testing..
if your not testing.. your not growing..PERIOD
and if you are.. you don't know why.. so when (and it will) it stops, you don't have a clue..

Testing gives you the data you need to grow.. to adapt with trends.. to understand what does and doesn't work in your business..

I'm running a test right now to see if a newsletter signup at the end of a short video (45sec) gets higher signup rates.. (so far,... UMM YEAH)

after that test is done.. I need to see if the people signing up are more or less qualified by giving them an offer

I actually tick off some clients (for my marketing company) cause they want to see the color changed on a website and I make them wait till a split test is finished..
my answer to them.. You pay me to give you what you need not what you ask for.. Deal with it.. (most get it, some don't)
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Beano,

I didn't take any of your advice personally, I appreciate you chiming in. However, I think you need to be careful offering business advice on things you don't entirely know about. Not that I would have followed your advice but if I had I could have actually "hurt" my business rather than help it. Don't take this personally, just making an observation. I am no expert but I knew right out of the gate that your advice was flawed...

Mike and Scott thank you for the suggestions! I was hoping you would chime in Mike, I would have pm'd you but it didn't look like I could.
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
752 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
Hrmmm wonder why my PM's don't work??
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
Mike,

Thanks again for bringing up a couple of important points.

Titles - I've been working on that very thing lately, trying to find the best page titles and ALT text for pictures. I've been noticing that the ALT text is showing up on some of my pages that I haven't given that kind of thought. Am I reading too much into it, or can optimized ALT text help with SEO and such?

In testing, yes I do a lot of it. Not as much as I should, I admit. I read recently where a retail company did a test on the color of the suit their salesmen wore. I don't remember how long the test ran, but I remember they discovered that when they wore blue suits they sold more than when wearing brown.

I did a 2100 piece mailing last year with 3 different headlines. I mixed up the areas and demographics as best as I could. The result: I stink at writing headlines. They all did equal on callbacks.

But I’m learning, with help from you guys.

Thanks,
Beano
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Mike are they full? It looks like I can pm everyone but you! Lol
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
Hart,

Thanks for cutting me the slack. I appreciate that. You're correct about me not knowing how the general public reacts to video and such. My targets are very narrow and I only know how they do with it. I do ask them and some would like it but have told me it's not neccessary.

Some of my targets rarely look for hiring entertainment online. I market to 400 senior facilities and in 8 years only 6 have told me they bothered to look. It could just be my area, which is narrow too. I only go up to 250 miles.

I should have looked at your website before I replied too. I see that you are targeting corporate gigs. I know NOTHING about marketing to them. My markets are schools, libraries, childcare and senior facilities mostly. I do family theater shows and fairs/festivals too (a little).

Thanks again,
Beano
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
Scott,

What's an iPad? Smile

Would you believe, my area has only had Touch-Tone Dialing for 12 years?! And even NOW you have to pay $4.00 a month extra for it.

Around here, a high-speed internet connection only happens when it's not storming or blowing the phone lines around. I ain't kidding.

But my neighbors are Amish, and at 6 below zero I'm just glad I don't have to go outside to... you know, GO.

Beano
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7404 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Video on my website serves me well.

Just yesterday, one of my customers commented on my website video, when booking her show. And that's not the first time.

I used to have it on the landing page, as well as some other pages.

I recently changed my site, and decided to put it on a dedicated video page only.

Either way, I've tried to have it above the fold or halfway across the fold.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
752 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
Nope I have no msgs in my box..
it just doesn't work (=

Title tags and descriptions are your 1st line sales copy.. you have to get them right
they are what drives the click from the search engine to your site
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Quote:
On 2010-01-31 07:00, MikeClay wrote:

Title tags and descriptions are your 1st line sales copy.. you have to get them right
they are what drives the click from the search engine to your site

What do you think works best for title? I did keyword phrase plus call to action and phone #.

As far as description...I basically "lifted" the description gigmasters was using but now I think that needs to be changed before I get penalized...
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
752 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
When writing a title getting the keyword in is nice but not nesicary

if the keyword is there it will be bold when it is showing up on a search so that draws people in to look at it...

but the title should be written to get the click

Example if you have a educational show

"help kids in Atlanta have fun at school"

use phrases and terms that get peoples attention

FREE, SALE and many others have been used to death.. be unique and TEST it
Gordon
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
692 Posts

Profile of Gordon
Um, you do realize there is no "fold" on a website, right?
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
You don't "dial" a phone number anymore, either. Yet we all use an analogue term to define the digital equivalent.

The "fold" on a website is just the area above the point before you have to scroll to continue reading.

Scott

(Forgive me if you knew this and were just being humorous. A day of digging out of snow has made my mind mush today. *grin*)
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Above the fold, no auto start

Additional videos on another page

The reasons have been explained here already

Brought to you by my abundance of redundance
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
752 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
Also keep in mind Google only shows like 65 characters of your title tag...
and studies show that going over the 65 limit will drop your click through rate because google ends it with "..."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Video above or below the fold on website? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL