The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Microspeakers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Quatermass
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of Quatermass
Can anyone direct me to where I could find wireless minispeakers (for hiding in objects?)
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
804 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
How small? How loud? For speech or music?
Dan McLean Jr
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1369 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
I didn't ask the initial question, but I am looking too for wireless speakers.

One small that I can hide in the head of a skull (real size of a human skull)
and two wireless speakers who are powerfull enough to produce music (and sometimes a spoken sentence) for lets say 15 to 20 rows of chairs. (a gym, a little theater, a big receptionroom, ect)
So not for a BIG theater but a little stronger then for a livingroom if needed.
My music are MP3's that I play on my laptob with Winamp.
Quatermass
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of Quatermass
Funny enough, mine is for a skull as well.

Guess I am in good company!

Dan, I just went to your site. Do you do custom work?

Q
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
804 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
- I don't think you'll find anything small-enough to fit into a skull that will effectively throw as far as you want.
- assuming that the skull will be about the height of a table on the stage, the speaker will not be high-enough to effectively project to an entire audience.
- If you can find one, the cost of a wireless, powered speaker will be very expensive indeed.

I don't have a lot of experience with theatre sound, but my imagining is that, even in the most budget-liberal productions, the sound would come from the PA, and there would be a visual cue to tell the audience that it's coming from the skull, like a light.

Some of the other folks here have more experience than I with theatre, and may have more to offer.

By the way, Quartermass, I do not do custom work. I work for a "boutique-style" professional live audio company, managing equipment & engineers for broadcast events, concerts, live theatre, and large corporate events.

Good luck!
Dan McLean Jr
Fitz
View Profile
Elite user
Phoenix, AZ
476 Posts

Profile of Fitz
I have had the idea for a long time now to use a police scanner and a wireless mic. The scanner would be set to the same frequency as the mic/transmitter and then the scanner could be hidden in a prop (in my case it would be the prop. I'm not sure if you could gut a scanner and get all of it's components to fit in the scull. I also doubt it would be loud enough for a theatre but it could give the right effect. Although this may be impractical for your needs I hope it inspires some working solutions.

I'll see if I can find my old scanner and if it will even pickup from one of my mics and I'll let you know what I find.

Fitz
I have a daily web show all about magic at http://FitzMagic.info
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
931 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
There is a lot of info on this sort of thing on websites that cover Halloween decorations. Generally, there is just enough space inside a plastic skull to hide the servos that make it move. The speakers need to be near it but hidden. Then your sound system can control how the skull moves when it talks.

There are some good resources for putting electronics in a skull so it moves. Here are a couple:

http://www.cowlacious.com/ScaryTerry.htm
http://www.scary-terry.com/

Jeff
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1369 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Quote:
On 2010-02-03 17:03, Jeff Haas wrote:
There are some good resources for putting electronics in a skull so it moves. Here are a couple:
http://www.cowlacious.com/ScaryTerry.htm
http://www.scary-terry.com/
Jeff

Many thanks for the usefull links !
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
Try this -- think of the skull (or any object) as a transducer -- not as a carrier. Use an induction rig to make it (or any object that can vibrate) the speaker. They even make these big enough you can turn a wall or whole ceiling into a speaker, but htat size is not too portable or easy to hide.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Also, depending on price point - Skulltronix! Google that.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Microspeakers (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL