The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » 5 Card Opener as your Opener (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Quote:
On 2010-02-01 11:58, magicgeorge wrote:
I haven't been using it in my childrens show but have used a few times as an MC bit for adults.

I don't think children get it in the same way adults do.

I've used it a few times at 6-year old Birthday parties, and it works just fine. Those kids remembered my magic words for the rest of the show, with no further prompting. I have to admit, I've always loathed the 6-card repeat, as it just seems like another case of "magicians fooling magicians" - in this case fooling them into thinking the 6-card repeat even remotely looks like magic! ALL of the presentations I've seen of the effect have been dire, even from "international" magicians....with the exception of Bill Abbott's. The fact that the effect is less than incredible makes Bill's presentation that much more wonderful. As I said above, I'll be transferring the technique to other effects which I feel are stronger and suit my style more.
Bottom line for me is, I don't want to open my show with a card trick!
Potty Smile
patrick1515
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of patrick1515
After reading all of the hype and reviews I went ahead and purchased the 5 card opener. At first, I thought...this isn't a lot for your money. I have been working this routine now for about 2 months, not straying too far from Bill's script, but carefully making it my "own".
I am very glad I purchased Bill Abbotts 5 card opener.
I do not use it as my first effect, it actually works out as my 4th effect. I begin with an introduction, followed by some warm-up gags and quickie eye cathing effects. Then use the 5 card opener as an opportunity to further "connect" with the audience. Connecting on a personal level and making folks laugh has always been more important than the "tricks" themselves.
If you have a natural gift for humor this may be right for you. If you're not naturally humorous, don't expect this to suddenly make you "funny".

I used to perform a 6 card repeat. I played around with several versions such as Senator Crandall's & Michael Finny's, pretty standard routines. Both got chuckles but not the laughs I was looking for so I shelved the 6 card repeat.
My only concern now is that the other guys in my area don't start using Bill's routine!
Wizzo the wizard
View Profile
Veteran user
327 Posts

Profile of Wizzo the wizard
I have to say that I've never really liked the six card repeat but this does seem like it's got something to offer!

Louis
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
How's it different to Wayne Dobson's??
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Bill's advice on the DVD is what you're buying. The trick is widely performed in various ways, but here you will have something that you will almost certainly tailor to your own devices, and effects. Is this a lot for what you get? Yes, if you don't perform regularly. But...workers will likely repay the cost and more with the first booking they get on account of the added inertia and energy in their show.
I'll say it again, you can read all of this in pleny of books. Bill has nothing new to offer here, but his advice is clear and obvious. In my opinion, a very exciting lecture about opening your show.
Potty Smile
A Birthday Magician
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of A Birthday Magician
I have worked 5CO on a regular basis...mainly at a comedy club but also at a few adult fuctions...I am not so impressed with it as others...certainly at a comedy club, if you open with it...when you say you will leave as per the instructions...then as soon as you say that it prompts the more rowdy to say well #@*% off then...it had an adversarial start..which is not good...and why would you say that even at any gig where you have been paid to perform...I have toned down the beginning...yes the story has some charm and gets a laugh as the age drops...but the magic component is totally overlooked because of the way the story flows....the story is good, the handling is easy...but little magic seems to have happened and you had better hope for a compliant audience...
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1605 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
Depending on the event, instead of saying that "I'll leave", I set it up by saying that there are two kinds of audiences, one which sits there with their arms folded and a scowl on their face and says "you can't fool me, Mr. Magician -- I'm too cool!", and the kind that says, "I'm here to have some fun -- let's party!"

So then I go through the routine to find out which kind of audience I have. Seems to work well for me.

Brian
Ron Vergilio
View Profile
Special user
Murrieta, CA
835 Posts

Profile of Ron Vergilio
I like that approach, Brian.

-Ron
May the magic in your life never disappear

*** Lou Serrano's Steel Ball Routine ***
A Birthday Magician
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of A Birthday Magician
Thanks Brian...sounds like a more friendly opening...I will give it a try Smile
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Im looking too been looking for one in the near future, just have to wait till after the weddinf before I can consider any big effects. Bill I just sent you a message on Facebook..
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I just bought this. I'll be using it next weekend, although that's an adult stand-up venue and not a kid's show.

Bill demos this for kids on his DVD, and it works great for him. I think his opening lines are more like: "if you don't pass the test, then I get to sit down and watch *you* do magic!"

I'm not at all confident of my ability to use this with kids: I don't know if I can pull the younger kids into the story, although I'm sure they will relish a chance to jump and scream; and I'm concerned that older kids might just sit there with arms crossed, as Brian described.

To answer Frank's questions of why a new opener - for kids I use a 5-foot wand, silk and TT, and silks and change bag opening. But I can see different venues with a more adult feel, even though kids are present, needing a different opener.

Ed
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » 5 Card Opener as your Opener (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL