The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The April 2002 entrée: Mark Strivings » » Strolling mentalism » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Alex Reeve
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Alex Reeve
Hello Mark,
I would like to know how you structure a strolling set of mentalism?

How long do you stay with a group?

How many effects do you usually do?

How do you introduce yourself?

How do you manage the contradiction that is, that when you perform in strolling conditions you must adapt your time in order to perform for every body and the fact that mentalism needs time to be performed correctly?

Thanks,
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4550 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Also, a local mentalist in my area doesn't do 'strolling mentalism' because as he explains it, he doesn't believe his audiences will accept that these 'coincidences' keep happening on a consistent basis.

Personally, I think it might have something to do with his presentation style, but I was wondering what your thoughts were regarding this?

Do you think audiences have a problem with strolling mentalism as a stretch of credibility?
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Mark Strivings
View Profile
V.I.P.
288 Posts

Profile of Mark Strivings
Quote:
On 2002-04-05 05:30, Alex Reeve wrote:
Hello Mark,
I would like to know how you structure a strolling set of mentalism.
how long do you stay with a group?
how many effects do you usually do?
how do you introduce yourself?
how do you manage the contradiction that is that when you perform in strolling condition you must adapt your time in order to perform for every body and the fact that mentalism needs time to be performed correctly?

thanks,

Hi Alex,

The real question here is how do I answer all those questions and keep it to less than book length! Smile

If you're working strolling you've got to work at a fairly brisk pace. By far the slowest part of the set for me is breaking in. I tend to subscribe to the Michael Close school of thought here. Start a conversation and try, as quickly as possible, to get a bit of a 'feel' for the group. Once I've ascertained that I can proceed, only then do I go for it.

One thing I will do in a strolling setting which helps to keep things moving is to involve other spectators around the group that I'm working for. If it's appropriate, I'll call nearby spectators into the group as the set proceeds. I can then move easily into their group, which was nearby anyway, without having to break in as much. This is a technique that you've really got to develop a 'feel' for, but works beautifully when you can do it.

You don't have time for long set ups. You've got to have material that pretty much gets right to the point fairly quickly. Multi-phase routines are generally out, unless you can move them right along. I stay as long as I can with the group while still allowing for the fact that I've got others to work for and a time cut off. In those respects it's just like strolling magic. The main thing is you have to adapt your material to work in that environment.

Strolling mentalism seems like it shouldn't be that much different from strolling magic, in terms of selection of material and other factors. However, once you actually try to start putting together a repertoire of material, you'll discover real fast that there's not much out there. Mentalism somewhat defies this set of circumstances and is problematic right fom the start. Trust me, I've been doing it for years and continue to search for appropriate material. I've probably got more than I will ever need right now, but the search goes on anyway.

Strolling mentalism is a growing market which nobody is working in your area. More and more of us mental types are getting this type of work and the body of knowledge is growing. Anybody else have anything to add out there? Obviously this is a thread in which I have a vested interest. I'd love to hear from you!

Mark
Mark Strivings is the owner of the largest all-mentalism mail order supply business in the world, "Mental Connections", carrying materials not available anywhere else. For complete info, drop Mark a line at MarkyApril@aol.com
Mark Strivings
View Profile
V.I.P.
288 Posts

Quote:
On 2002-04-05 11:31, Philemon wrote:
Also, a local mentalist in my area doesn't do 'strolling mentalism' because as he explains it, he doesn't believe his audiences will accept that these 'coincidences' keep happening on a consistent basis.

Personally, I think it might have something to do with his presentation style, but I was wondering what your thoughts were regarding this?

Do you think audiences have a problem with strolling mentalism as a stretch of credibility?

Hi Philemon,

How's the BOR stuff going?

I think perhaps you're correct that your friend has a presentational 'mindset' that doesn't allow him to work in this environment. For me personally, I just do it and move on. I'm not one to philosophize (what a word!) about it. I just do it and let the chips fall where they may. Since there isn't time to get into 'powers of the mind...' and all that stuff, I just hit them hard and move on. As such, I don't think they are really certain how to classify what they just saw. They know it wasn't magic tricks. This was different, and certainly provides a lot of fodder for conversation for the balance of the evening....

Mark
Mark Strivings is the owner of the largest all-mentalism mail order supply business in the world, "Mental Connections", carrying materials not available anywhere else. For complete info, drop Mark a line at MarkyApril@aol.com
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4550 Posts

Quote:
How's the BOR stuff going?

Excellent! It got my mind thinking in a direction that it should have been going years ago!

I especially like the "Celtic Casting Stones" idea. That alone is worth the price of the book!

By the end of the month I'll be ready to break into the Home Party circuit (a la Docc's "Secret Venues") and your BOR will guarantee that I'll have lots of interesting stuff to sell (besides the standard pitch books).

Thanks!
That Creepy Magician
Ray Eldard
View Profile
New user
Phoenix, AZ
90 Posts

Profile of Ray Eldard
Okay guys, once again you've allowed my ignorance to come shining through. What is BOR and what mystical mind control methods are you both using to make me want it so badly despite my overwhelming ignorance as to what it is?
Rob Wallis
View Profile
New user
The Other California
73 Posts

Profile of Rob Wallis
I'm gonna make a great big guess here and say they're talking about Back Of the Room products, the big money makers of the mentalist's arsenal. These are products (pendulums, booklets, casting stones) that you set up at your show to sell to your audience, who would all like to come away with a little bit of you (so to speak)
Tig Wallis
The Comic Psychic
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4550 Posts

Of course, Back Of the Room is not just limited to mentalists, but conventional magicians can use it as well.
That Creepy Magician
Mark Strivings
View Profile
V.I.P.
288 Posts

Hi guys,

Sorry. Philemon and I slipped into some conversation that most wouldn't understand.

What we're talking about IS back of the room. I produce a set of materials entitled "Back Of The Room For Psychic Entertainers" which Philemon has a set of. The set consists of a 40 page or so manual, set of 50 different masters for art and packaging of the products as well as complete instruction on how to make them yourself. There are also samples of the products themselves exactly as I make/sell them at my various functions.

If anyone would like more info, drop me a note off list. Thanks!

Now, anything else on strolling mentalism, gang?

Mark
Fred Darevil
View Profile
Elite user
446 Posts

Profile of Fred Darevil
According to you: is it better to fix straps on my big Mental Epic board so I can carry it on my back for strolling mentalism or is it better to buy this nice little plastic version by Tenyo?

Seriously, what about using some props in strolling mentalism?
For example: using real bullets for a Russian Roulette presentation instead of cards? One full and 4 empty cartridges. Each spectator takes one in his hand. You tap on 4 hands, each time the spectators open their hand so everyone can hear the sound of the cartridge hitting the ground and the last hand is opened carefully: the real bullet is exposed to everyone. What do you think about that? Is it enough "mental" or too theatrical? I often hesitate with these sort of ideas.

Best,

Fred
Mark Strivings
View Profile
V.I.P.
288 Posts

Quote:
On 2002-04-06 05:03, Fred Darevil wrote:
According to you : is it better to fix straps on my big Mental Epic board so I can carry it on my back for strolling mentalism or is it better to buy this nice little plastic version by Tenyo ?..

Seriously, what about using some props in strolling mentalism ?
For example: using real bullets for a Russian Roulette presentation instead of cards ? One full and 4 empty cartridges. Each spectator takes one in his hand. You tap on 4 hands, each time the spectators open their hand so everyone can hear the sound of the cartridge hitting the ground and the last hand is open carefully : the real bullet is exposed to everyone. What do you think about that ? Is it enough "mental" or too theatrical ? I often hesitate with these sort of ideas.

Best,

Fred

Hi Fred,

Personally I have no problem with props in a mentalism strolling situation as long as they are congruous to my persona and the situation itself.

I like the roulette idea using shells. Personally I couldn't use it locally because I live in an area which is very sensitive about weapons and guns specifically. No joke intended here, but it could backfire on me. That fact not withstanding, I DO like the idea. I would be very interested to see how it would 'play' in a strolling situation. Right off the top of my head it seems more appropriate to a formal close up or parlor show instead of strolling. Does it feel that way to anybody else....?

Tell you what, email me privately at
MarkyApril@aol.com
about this. I've got some other thoughts that I'd like to keep between us (sorry guys...)

Mark
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1601 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
Allow me to recommend Mark's "Warm Fuzzys Up Close" for strolling mentalism. It plays exceptionally well and when you find the right couple, the gentleman might give you a really nice tip. You'll understand when you get the effect.
Also, the Back of the Room Casting Stones that Mark carries, sell very well at house parties.
Best regards,
Tony Razzano
Best regards,
<BR>Tony Razzano, Past President, PEA
Winner of the PEA"s Bascom Jones and Bob Haines Awards
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The April 2002 entrée: Mark Strivings » » Strolling mentalism » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL