The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Tulkus (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3824 Posts

Profile of The Curator
I'm currently working on a new story about tulkus, tertons and termas.
But I'll probably need some help from people who are more knowledgeable than me on buddhism.
I already have some questions:
In my story, the terton will be from the Nyingma(pa) tradition (sounds logic): First question: Is a nine prongs dorje/vajra typical from that tradition ?
The second question is about the various steps to find the tulku/reincarnation of a lama. I already have some information (including wiki) but if someone knows a site with a most complete description of the various steps/tests, it will help.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3824 Posts

Profile of The Curator
The "Eye of Mara" (a magic ring) and the Phurba.
Look at the skull shaped in the dzi stone.

Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5112 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
This might interest you:

http://www.unmistakenchild.com/

Wikipedia has many "tulku" related entries, all of which are worth the time of investigation. Patterns occur. There is sometimes controversy regarding the finding of tulkus, and children saying that they didn't recognize any appropriate symbols during testing, or that they don't recall their previous incarnation.

I find the ambiguity interesting. While there is a recognized process, the monks who are sent on the search have great influence in the outcome. There is pressure to find the child they seek, so they find him/her.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3824 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Thanks Harley.
I like the ambiguity too, it will be part of the story.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3824 Posts

Profile of The Curator
The Die of Palden Lhamo has been retrieved...
In 1920, those precious objects were garded by a Tulku named Ying Ko. He was Chinese and always refused to become a monk. He was also the first Curator of the Surnateum, and a Terton (treasure finder).
The Eye of Mara can cloud once mind and the Die of Palden Lhamo is used to retrieve present incarnations of lamas. The Die is also a lucky charm for Dice gamblers and a wonderful Oracle item.
But where's the current incarnation of Ying Ko ?
Only the shadows know the answer.

The only picture known of Ying Ko and a girl identified only as ML.
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
Every time I see your pictures Christian I feel like quitting. It's the same feeling as if I tried to show Jimmy Page me playing "Da-do-ron-ron" on a battered Spanish guitar.
I only wish I could spend an evening watching you perform these pieces of art.
Respectfully yours
Steve
[
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3824 Posts

Profile of The Curator
If it happens that you're in Belgium, it will be my pleasure to show you some strange things...
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
The late Walter Gibson would love this.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3824 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Quote:
On 2010-02-04 12:01, Steve_Mollett wrote:
The late Walter Gibson would love this.

Well, you get it Smile
The Chinese girl has been identified as Ming Dwan.
And there're a tulku and his phurba, a ring that clouds one's eye...
Balaram
View Profile
Special user
904 Posts

Profile of Balaram
Ok, Now I get it too, and I sincerely hope you will provide the story in English. Very very smart. Did you uncover a (rumored) sacred wrap as well?
Thanks for sharing this one.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3824 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? Smile
Andy Moss
View Profile
Special user
711 Posts

Profile of Andy Moss
Dear Curator, I hope that the following will be helpful for you.

A vajra is normally five pronged. The prongs represent the five 'cosmic' buddhas with the central spike being Vairocana and the four curved prongs the other 'Dhyanic Buddhas' Aksobhya, Ratnasambhava, Amitabha and Amoghasiddhi. However the vajra can be in theory anything from one (the original mace representing diamond/wisdom/thunderbolt) to ten (the 'crossed vajra' Vishvajra which is normally used for ceremonies centred about the protection of the Dharma.)

Five per 'dual head' is also the standard representing the five wisdom jinas. (Wisdom of equality, mirror wisdom, distinguishing wisdom etc). All these wisdoms are of course contained in the mantra of Manjusri "Om a ra pa ca na dhih!"

http://www.himalayanmart.com/VajraGhanta.php

The Terton seeking process is very secretive. I understand this much.

Normally the dying master leaves a letter hidden/sealed in a heart locket or small chest/conch. It is quietly and without any fuss given to a 'heart disciple' who by tradition is not to open it or even tell anyone that he has it until the appropriate time comes (which is normally at least a couple of years after the death of the master).

The letter is always in Tibetan and written in the form of a veiled poem. The disciple then spends many months in deep meditation. Images will come to him. He may receive a visitation from the deceased.

When he has insight a meeting of the highest ranking 'high Lamas' in his respective sect (eg Sakya, Kagyu etc) then takes place. If a consensus is reached (and this is not always as with the current 'throned' 17th Karmapa)they then formally notify the Dalai Lama who although not strictly having any authority in a Nyingma matter (being from the Gelupa sect) blue stamps the decision.

In deepest secret a group of Lamas then visit the prospective boy arriving by tradition at night.Included in the group is normally a recognised Terton and ideally an elderly monk who was a boyhood friend of the deceased.Various possessions are shown to the child after they are first blessed.The Lamas make their decision. Perhaps I am too jaded and cynical but frequently the 'peasant boy' will be related in some way to someone important such as a high Lama.

I agree with the Dalai Lama that the whole philospohy of Tulkus while interesting should not be encouraged.The Dalai Lama himself has instructed that he does not want to be found by way of this process. It would be sod's law that China will say that he has reincarnated there and have the Panchen Lama find his Tulku!!!.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3824 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Thank you very much Andy, it's very helpful.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3824 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Here's the basis of my next Hauntique.
As usual, I'll mix historical facts and second degree references to movies, comic books etc.

Quote:
On 1995-05-14, The Dalai Lama wrote: We collected the names received from various sources at different points in
time. We had the names and details of about twenty boys. We have the details
of all these boys. Of some we also have photos. We have rough descriptions of
auspicious signs concerning these boys. It then became apparent that no
additional names were going to come. There were signs that the time had come
to confirm the reincarnation. Therefore, I made this decision.

Coming to the process of making the final decision, I did a mo (divination)
to find out if the reincarnation was among the candidates whose names had
been submitted. The divination was affirmative. After selecting the more
likely candidates, I threw the divination dice while pronouncing the young
child's name. I did it three times, as is my usual practice. The divinations
showed extremely good indications.

My initial hope of all of us meeting together did not materialize as this had
to be kept extremely secret. However, I did not rely solely on dice
divination. I also rolled the dough balls while uttering the child's name.
The dough (with the reincarnation's name hidden in it) emerged as if jumping
out on its own. Not relying on the first draw, I marked this particular dough
ball and made another rotation. The same ball came out. I was now convinced
that this was the authentic reincarnation. So I made the decision.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3824 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Very interesting subject, full of possibilities.
Kuten = Medium

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/sociop......a01a.htm

Quote:
Section 2: Testing the Oracle’s Validity

As was mentioned above, the Nechung medium is believed to be possessed of the spirit of Dorje Drakden when he enters his trance. When they have to find the a new medium following the Oracle’s death, therefore, it is very important for the Tibetans to be sure that the medium they choose is the one that the god has chosen to speak through. For this reason, there is an extended series of tests that the prospective Kuten must go through before being confirmed as the Nechung Oracle.

The way in which the mediums are discovered is not the same every time, though in each case it appears that Dorje Drakden takes possession of the new medium he has chosen. For example, the Thirteenth State Oracle, Lobsang Jigme developed a strange "illness" around his tenth birthday, in which he would sleepwalk and go into seizures where he would shout and thrash about. Then, when he was fourteen, during one of his trances he began to perform the honorific dance of Dorje Drakden.

This, however, was not enough to put him up as a candidate for being the new medium since he was an unknown, adolescent monk. Normally candidates are well known mediums of other deities. The Gadong medium, however, insisted while under possession by Shinjachen that Lobsang Jigme was the chosen medium.

The monks of Nechung monastery tested this proclamation extensively by putting Lobsang Jigme’s name, along with the names of all the other candidates into a vessel and spinning it until one of them came out before they accepted this prophecy. Lobsang Jigme’s name was always the one that was ejected. (Avedon, 1997 p203-210)

The present State Oracle, Thupten Ngodup, was also possessed by Dorje Drakden before being recognized as the chosen medium, though he experienced no sleepwalking or seizures. During the ceremony to ask for the blessing of Nechung monastery, which was being performed without a medium since Lobsang Jigme had died and a new medium not yet been found, Thupten Ngodup found himself possessed of by the spirit of Dorje Drakden.

After the medium has been discovered, he must still be tested before he is proclaimed as Nechung’s new Oracle.

The test consists of three main parts.

In the first part, which is considered easy, the prospective Kuten is asked to name the contents of sealed boxes.

Next, he is required to be able to recite verbatim prophecies that he had given on a previous occasion the monks specified. All of the Oracle’s prophecies were transcribed in massive written texts. This test was considered nearly impossible to pass unless Dorje Drakden is actually present, as his prophecies are very cryptic and poetic in style.

Thirdly, the medium’s breath is checked to see if it has the faint odor of nectar that is characteristic of possession by Tibet’s Protector. This last test is considered to be the most accurate and the most definitive.

A final sign that reveals that the spirit of Dorje Drakden had actually possessed the medium is the appearance of the imprint a dorje on the top of his head for several minutes after the trance has ended. (Avedon, 1997 p211-212)

chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1904 Posts

Profile of chmara
The representation of the "Eye of Mara" is of interest -- in that my eyes are hazel as opposed to the picture. However, I guess someone seeing me with a completely open pupil (as when under a tree in shadow whilst tempting others) might mistake the depth of darkness there for this color. This goes all the way back to Sid (forgive me shortening his name.)

BTW - Sid now lives in Manhattan -- under the name Sid Arthur. He is often in central park sitting under trees there, very still and quiet.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3824 Posts

Profile of The Curator
I think, the ring should be better named "the eye of Maya", (illusion).
Plus, the "eye" is a really nice antique dzi bead, not a modern made chinese copy.
The tulku concept opens a lot of possibilities in a bizarre/mental frame.
Instead of makind meaningless "predictions", spectator's choice of items proves to be linked to a previous incarnation...
The Mantra Oracle Die has "Om Mani Padme Hum" written on. So, not only it can find tulkus, but also give information about your next reincarnation... The mantra is linked to the Wheel of Life. Will you reincarnate into a God, an Asura, a human, an animal, a hungry ghost or a demon in hell ?
Van Helmont
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of Van Helmont
After this crash course in Tantrism, I could use a whiskey on the rocks... Smile
But something tells me you got that covered already!
The Epiphany Before Christmas: this day (12/23/13) I leave the Café for good!
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3824 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Catch of the Day, nothing about tulkus, but a very nice Bon/Bonpo Shaman Belt similar (but nicer) than the one on the photo.
Mine has boar tusks, vultur claws, brass bells, iron cutouts and bells, shells and other amulets on it.

IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
You may want to speak to john riggs...he's a buddhist I believe...
I've asked to be banned
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Tulkus (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL