The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Website critique (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
Good day fine folk,

I truly enjoy sharing the great ideas here and thought now was the time to ask for a critique of my own. It is awe inspiring to see some great sites shown here and the improvements made on them from suggestions from everyone.

I'm in the final stages of a new site for my performing and wanted to get some thoughts on your first impressions.

Please take note that the "show description" page is unfinished. It is on this page that will explain a bit more about the "magic" that is performed.

And in time I plan to add much in the way of additional photos and video. But that is all in due time.

http://NothingUpMySleeves.com

Thank you in advance for your thoughts!
Scott
MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
752 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
Scott.. WELL DONE!!

site looks nice and clean
1 thing I noticed quickly
the description tag needs to be rewritten..
its kinda short and when it shows up in the SERPS just doesn't grab me..
"Angie Jordan Digital Caricatures"

and look at some title tag ideas to get the click, using things like (advantage, gain, help, solve) these are good trigger words to get a higher click through from the serps

I would think about adding a curved glare elipse to the header and the box right below it with the idea of a brighter color could draw the eyes from the logo down through the content.. (I think I explained that right) this would have to be split tested though

the other thing to look into

http://www.easyvideoplayer.com/

to have a short video with a call to signup for the newsletter
---

Other than the description though.. I say lets throw traffic at it and start testing..
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Whoops!!! YOU THE MAN. I created this theme by using the wordpress theme from the site I designed for my wife, who, yes, is a caricature artist.

The keywords are fixed. Thanks for pointing that out!

I think I see what you mean about the glare.

And yes, video is going to play a major part of this site. Just have to get the basics down first, then add more content over the next few days, then months, and years, too. Smile
MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
752 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
Hehe .. the first things I look for when I review a site are the top things the search engines look at

Bang up job scott....

Make sure html is "SPIDER" Compliant
-
Text link nav at bottom of the page (to get proper anchor text in place.. DO NOT KEYWORD STUFF PEOPLE)
-
Title tag..
every page needs to be unique
-
Meta Description
part 2 of what people see 1st.. the title and description is your 1st place for good sales copy
-
make sure your using CSS (external file people)
-
Heading tags (h1,h2.h3 and so on) these help with on page seo
-
use of keyword phrase in H1 tag and throughout the context..

Scott, you know most if not all of this.. I posted it for the others reading..
these basics will usualy increase rankings on their own.. add it with a link building system.. you dominate
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Great breakdown. You bring up a great point about CSS. Talk about the way to go. I'm SUCH a HUGE fan of CSS. In fact, I'm in the process of writing a CSS file so this site is optimized for my iPhone with smaller graphics to load faster and display better on a smaller screen.

Though I'd still like to tweak the copy, I've started to open the floodgates to the site and will start doing some google A/B testing on the titles.

My biggest concern is how I take a swipe at other magicians. I'm not directing it at anyone specifically, but I've got strong feelings about this and feel I have a strong advantage with my niche, so I'm taking a risk with it and jumping in feet first with this strategy.

We'll see if it works. Smile
jackturk
View Profile
Elite user
463 Posts

Profile of jackturk
Hi Scott,

I very much like the clean look and easy navigation.

Who exactly is this site targeting? Do you have a specific customer in mind?

I would presume based on your testimonials that it's event planners, entertainment directors, and corporate folks. If that's the case, then you may want to make that a bit clearer in the copy and also weave in some notes that make clear you understand their challenges and can help to solve them.

In addition, by taking a stand on the audience, this will let you more specifically target your email newsletter - which would give it more of a draw for someone to sign up.

"Get cool things in my newsletter" is okay, but ... I'm swamped with email already and cool stuff like photos of kids and flags and politics and such.

Howzabout something like, "Want to stay up on the latest hot trends in keeping meetings fresh and informative, while boosting productivity and profits? Sign up here for my bi-weekly ezine: 'Secrets Of Business Meeting Success' "

That may not be perfect, but consider something that would offer a clear and focused benefit for your customer -- and phrase it in a way that's compelling enough to get them to give you their email address.

You could also add what's called a "Lead-Generation Magnet" which would reward the customer for offering their email / contact information. A special report on making your next event successful for way less than you ever imagined, tips on hiring entertainment from the inside, or maybe even "5 Magic Tricks YOU can do to liven up your next meeting!"

Give it some thought.

--Jack Turk
"59 Ways To Recession Proof Your Entertainment Business -- FREE!"
http://www.GetLeadsLikeCrazy.com

"How To Make $25,000 a Year Doing Birthday Parties Part-Time"
http://www.magicmarketingcenter.com/birthdayPT
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Hi Jack,
Thanks a ton for your (as always) great insight. I appreciate the comments on the design/navigation/layout. That was a key area that I wanted to have stand out to stay consistent with the 'high class' and 'retro' feel of my show.

As for market, I am not ashamed to say it is the typical dinner evens, family get-togethers, and anniversary/wedding/retirement parties. Shows most all of us do on a regular basis.

That said, I did want to narrow it down to folks who are already in the "let's hire a magician" phase and have likely typed that into Google or Gigmasters.

So my main concern is separating myself from the herd, not trying to convince them to hire a magician.

Call me silly, but I wanted to be the Apple of magicians, if that makes sense. That and the retro callback to the days of class, with Carson, Martin, Hope, et. al.

As for the newsletter, I'm not placing too much of an emphasis on that right now, as I firmly believe that email newsletters, while effective, are becoming less effective.

That said, I agree a hundred percent that the "Get Cool Stuff" needs reworking. However, I have a bigger plan than just building a newsletter database:

So what I am working on is building a fanbase instead of the database. Sure, I'll still build that database, but I am going to be spending much more time on the fanbase side of it.

For those who have read Godin's work, think of it as finding the "sneezers." My work has been mostly word of mouth and repeat business and that's where I want to continue. Building upon that group of "sneezers."

As for lead generation magnets, oh, boy do I have some cool things in the works. First off is my iPhone App. I wrote my wife's app for her caricature business (http://AngieToons.com) and I'm now making one for myself to set myself apart and create a foundation to build this fanbase upon.

Overthinking the simple magic show? Never! *grin*
JordanB
View Profile
Special user
dallas, tx
645 Posts

Profile of JordanB
This isn't a swipe at all, but a minor observation.

I would change the front page picture to one where I was wearing a long sleeve shirt that is tucked in and fully buttoned.

It seems you are trying to set yourself apart from the casual "street" magic and/or clown(comedy) type magicians and give a more sophisticated appearance, but that photo seems very casual. Your other pictures on the other pages seem great.

Website seems fine. I know next to nothing about web design, so, lol.

Good job.
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Good point, Jordan. Thanks very much for your comment. I chose that to match the site's name, "Nothing up my sleeves."

However, I do want to stay away from the street magic feel, so I'll go digging through and find another image. Great point.
pearljamjeff
View Profile
Inner circle
I live inside your computer.
1243 Posts

Profile of pearljamjeff
Verbiage needs cleaning. I think I saw the word "funnest." In general there is a bit of overuse of "hype" adjectives. First example that comes to mind is "incredible excitement." Strikes me as a bit redundant.

Also, things like this:

"Just imagine this incredibly fun entertainment."

They don't paint a picture. You ask people to imagine things without helping them imagine it.

Instead of "Just imagine this incredibly fun entertainment," maybe try something like, "Imagine the childlike excitement on the faces of your guests as they see two cards visibly melt together or feel a coin bend in their own hands."

See the difference? Whole site needs to have more pinpointed language.
Jeff Travilla - Author of "The Extractor." I work in advertising and marketing now. If you are a professional worker and need marketing help, feel free to contact my company. JCM Media Group.
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Thanks for your thoughts.

As for "funnest", that's on purpose. And regarding the redundant hype, it's just how I build an emotion around something; by drilling it in repeatedly.

I study and even model some of the best speakers and you'd be amazed at how often they choose a small number of points or emotions and just use those descriptions constantly, over and over. After the speech those few words really stick in your mind.
pearljamjeff
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of pearljamjeff
Meant no offense in my critique. You have to reflect you in the writing, but it didn't come across as compelling. It comes across as almost desperate sounding. It's trying to sound grandiose, but that's the problem, I sense the "trying."

On a side note, the layout and cleanliness of graphics are quite good.

If you think I'm off the mark in my assessment, keep it the same, but my day job is not magic, it's marketing. Not that it matters, and not that I'm an expert, but I'm not just talking out of my rear. I care about people's success and wouldn't be taking the time to post here if I didn't care about yours.

All the best,

Jeff
Jeff Travilla - Author of "The Extractor." I work in advertising and marketing now. If you are a professional worker and need marketing help, feel free to contact my company. JCM Media Group.
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Jeff,

I took no offense at all! It takes a lot to offend me. *grin* I do appreciate very much your insights and will definitely use your suggestions in an A/B test with Google's website tester.

I believe in the numbers and my pride can accept when I'm proven wrong! On a side note, it means a lot and I can appreciate your being in marketing. I chose to go back to university (I'm in my mid 30's) to add to my education a BS in Business Marketing not too long ago. It's amazing how quickly one can get a BS with class overlaps from courses I took years ago for Communications!

Thanks again!!!!
pearljamjeff
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of pearljamjeff
Be careful with simply checking numbers. I love quantitative analysis too, but many times qualitative is the better indicator. For example, maybe the A/B test shows that the site pulls amazing viewership because of the language and key words. What if all of those viewers are turned off by the language? The A/B test won't tell you that. If your booking rate doesn't increase proportionally with the increase in viewership of the site, re-evaluate to target harder.

All the best,

Jeff
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Yes, I do a full "funnel track." Every prospect email/call is logged and tracked from where they found me, if they called from the site, etc. which I ask as part of my phone script.

I then add them to my funnel, as per "Book Yourself Solid" by Port.

But yes, it's a bit trickier when the call to action isn't perfectly measurable like how many times a video was viewed or PDF downloaded.

In addition to that part of the funnel, every link TO my site that I control is created through Google's URL Builder so I can track the quality and effectiveness of various sources.

You're a man who knows his stuff! Again, MUCH appreciated.

Scott
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1588 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Agree that "funnest" looks like a mistake.

- Even though you know it's deliberate, everyone else will think it's a mistake.
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Better tell these guys to fix the last tag in this commerical, then:

http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/gallery/ads/

We all know how bad Apple is with their marketing. *grin*

In all seriousness, I can see from where you are coming, and I appreciate your thoughts. On this one, I'm going to stick with what I have and see how it pans out.
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Like the concept but don't like the site

No colors to grab me, nothing visual to hold my attention

Too monocromatic in feel, lot of plain black text on a white page that is too long to read

No videos

IE Error message on every page in box on right side of screen

and the big center graphic is linked back to the front page from the front page?

Are you really PA'a top entertainer? You provide better entertainment than the Pittsburgh Steelers? Better entertainment than the Phllies?
If so who gave you that award? Maybe express who awarded you

Intimate Magic Show pic is not flattering

I want to like it because I like the concept (great domain and like the card grifter) but it's too bland and still no videos,
in this age I don't know if I'd hire without seeing a video

and of course there is always more than one way to skin a cat

Good luck with it

p.s. 3rd parties just came in and looked over my shoulder and thought it too business like and nothing grabbed them.
The pictures except in your headers don't stand out, nothing special
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Website critique (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL