The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Mikame Products, Company History, Etc. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

trainwing
View Profile
New user
Hendersonville, TN
44 Posts

Profile of trainwing
Tenyo has an official site, but not Mikame. A rather complete Google search reveals nothing either. Does anyone know anything of the Mikame company history? It would be nice to see a list of their products, who created them, when they were originally released, etc. (just as you can at the Tenyo sit).
Billgussen
View Profile
Elite user
Central Japan
498 Posts

Profile of Billgussen
Your search must have missed this:

http://mikamecraft.ocnk.net/

Unfortunately, it doesn't have their history, who created their products, or when they were originally released. Still, it does have a good list of their present products and some other info.

Bill
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24226 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
One of the e-mails that I got last year that really made me feel nice was this one:

Here is massage from Mikame.
I'm very happy to take opportuity to intoroduce myself for you.
I am Yonezo Mikame, an owner of Mikame Craft.
I was very impressed by your beautiful and Great Collection.
I wonder how you keep such the huge collection on your hand.
I hope to see them someday.
Thank you.

Mikame

It was posted by one of his workers.

I would love to meet Mikame-San.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
trainwing
View Profile
New user
Hendersonville, TN
44 Posts

Profile of trainwing
Thank you, Billgussen, for that link. Really, Google does not bring this up - not at least in the first few pages - go figure? But I do wish the site contained the history, etc. that I mentioned.

Another beef: Although Mikame products are outstanding and treasured by me and many others as works of art - their instructions are mediocre. Rarely is there a credit for who invented it, it's history, a copyright, etc. Tenyo does a FAR SUPERIOR job in this department. I have many Mikame effects that I have accumulated over the years, and I know of what I speak.

An example (among many) the Mikame Card Case - instructions don't mention creator or copyright (year of release). The drawings are crude. But - the case itself is a masterpiece.

Thanks again.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24226 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Since they don't post their e-mail or their physical address on their web site, it might behoove you to contact them with whatever address you find on their instructions, if any.

There is, of course, a very great difference in the two companies. Tenyo's market is not limited to magicians. They are basically a toy company that sells magic tricks. They make nice toys. Mikame's material is made for the advanced amateur and/or the professional. They have a mixture of original and classic magic. Often, they leave the instructions out completely. This may be because they expect their recipients to understand how to use the props already. For example, why on Earth would anyone purchase a jumbo card houlette unless they already knew how to use one? The same is true of their cups and balls.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Quote:
On 2010-02-03 14:40, Bill Palmer wrote:
Since they don't post their e-mail or their physical address on their web site, it might behoove you to contact them with whatever address you find on their instructions, if any.
hey already knew how to use one? The same is true of their cups and balls.

Actually, there is a "Contact" link in the animated menu in the center of their home page. If you click on it, you'll be directed to an email address.

I did just that with an inquiry about one of their tables last year, and got a nice reply within a few days.
trainwing
View Profile
New user
Hendersonville, TN
44 Posts

Profile of trainwing
Bill Palmer: I agree, but your misunderstood my original complanit. I have no real complaints with the instructions included with Mikame Magic, and as I said I admire them and own quite a few. My gripe is only that no credit is given for the specific creator, and often nothing is said of WHEN the product was copywritten and/or released. Tenyo's instructions include all of this (with the exception of some of the very early ones.

By the way, you are exactly right when you compare Tenyo being a "toy company" as opposed to Mikame being a magic prop producer aimed at "pros" or advanced amateurs. However, several of Tenyo's "toys" are masterpieces which many "pros" use every day. That is why Tenyo Elite is making several high-end reproductions. Tenyo's Fortune Sticks, Moonspinner, Flash Dice, Birdwatcher, and Unusual Suspects are all "toys" that when coupled with a great presentation and a performer who knows what he/she is doing, can be miracles!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24226 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
By "copywritten," I assume you mean "copyrighted." There is no copyright on magic tricks. Copyrights apply only to graphics applied to them and to their instructions. There have been many discussions about this on the forum.

Here is some material about IP law and magic.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=171&4
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=171&5
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=171&4

And, to a lesser degree, this one:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=171&0

Now, regarding when the various Mikame effects and props were created and/or who was directly responsible for them, an example from another company comes to mind. Who created the Sony Trinitron? Was that not as important a piece of creation as the creation the various Mikame pieces? It certainly affected more people.

Japanese corporate creations are the property of the corporation. The crediting of specific tricks that Tenyo manufactured have more to do with acceptance over here than they do with the acceptance of them by the Japanese public.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24226 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I should add that many of the Mikame products are based on ideas from classic sources. For example, their locket trick is based on an item that was published in an American book on mentalism. Some of their borrowed items have major improvements.

It wouldn't take long to track down the origin of their roll-on table or their folding table (Harbin). However, when you start dealing with international IP laws, it's important to bear in mind that unless something had valid protection in Japan, it wouldn't make much difference to whatever corporation copied it.

Remember Tenyo's "Miracle Board"? That came out, as far as I remember, without attribution to Hen Fetsch, who invented "Mental Epic." This may have been the item that caused the magic community in the US to react strongly when it was first released over here.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

trainwing
View Profile
New user
Hendersonville, TN
44 Posts

Profile of trainwing
Yes, it bothered me too when Tenyo came out with the "Miracle Board" which I considered a cheap knock-off that made a classic somehow "less effective." Of course people are still doing Mental Epic (I saw Copperfield do his version of it on stage a couple of years ago)so I was wrong there. But it still bothers me and I never bought one.

Recently, Mikame came out with "Final Penetration" which they claim is the ultimate "examinable" block penetration effect. It IS a beauty, but certainly not the first to work the way it does - not even close as they seem to imply in their ads. Although I can't give away how the Mikame effect works (the exact technique is probably original), the effect itself is identical to a brass "Plug Through Rod" sold by Daytona Magic for years. All of those components can be examined too (by different people). Ultimately the effect is the same, by the Daytona effect is close-up, and "Final Penetration" can be done for larger groups. I've actually used both using the same Gospel patter (one in Sunday school, the other in services).

Bottom line is still that Mikame usually makes beautful props.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24226 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The effect is not necessarily the method.

The Gene Anderson Newspaper Tear, the Slydini Newspaper Tear and the Karrell Fox's Newspaper Tear are the same effect -- a newspaper tear. The methods are different, though.

In some of their most recent advertisements, Mikame has credited the inventors of some of the tricks. I don't believe these ads are on their site, though. They show up on the Murphy's site.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Rick Fisher
View Profile
Elite user
Rick Fisher
467 Posts

Profile of Rick Fisher
..and Tenyo came out with a water suspension effect..copy of Water Lu originated by Lester Lake..no credit given there either.
Rick Fisher, President FAB Magic

"One of the largest magic shops in the world!"

www.fabmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Mikame Products, Company History, Etc. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL