The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Need some help on pulling a rabbit out of the hat (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mysticalmike
View Profile
Special user
Saratoga Springs, NY
513 Posts

Profile of mysticalmike
I know that you all have been probably asked this. Can you pull a rabbit out of a hat? Well today I was asked that buy a client. If anyone can help me with this problem it would be greatly appreciated. If I need to have something specially made I will be willing to do that. Please help me.
greatscott
View Profile
Special user
595 Posts

Profile of greatscott
There are a few books that show different methods of doing this trick. One of those books is "Tricks With Hares" by U.F. Grant
mysticalmike
View Profile
Special user
Saratoga Springs, NY
513 Posts

Profile of mysticalmike
Now that people have given me some great ideas. The most important thing where do I get a really good hat to do this from.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
Eric Sharp's method for "Rabbit From A Hat" is pretty good. I'm not sure where you can get his books now. I bought mine directly from Eric several years ago. I have not heard from him in a long time.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
You ought to be able to do this with almost any hat, not just the traditional silk top hats of the past. The large floppy hats sold in costume stores (like the striped Cat in the Hat headpiece) can also be used. Wiz Kid Ee-Gee-Fiki (formerly known as Eleazar) describes his method of producing a dwarf bunny from a tissue paper hat he produces from tearing up black and white strips of tissue paper. You would think that is not possible, but it's all in the handling. I would suggest you begin by learning hat loading techniques, either in the Grant Book, in Tarbell, or in Ee-Gee-Fiki's "Top Hat Tear" and practicing with them. You can even practice the technique with a couple of paper bags. Put a large load in one of the bags and twist the top closed. Then practice loading the stuff into the other empty paper bag while watching your technique in a mirror. When you get good with that, you'll know if you need to resort to a trick hat, or are ready to perform it with any hat you can dream up.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Angel_7
View Profile
New user
Australia
66 Posts

Profile of Angel_7
I got my method from Glennn Kinsey's Tricky Business, I'm sure you'd be able to find that book somewhere, but as for a hat I just go with a trilby hat, makes more sense to be getting around with it rather then a full suit mode.

You should be able to find one practically anywhere. I get mine from markets in Sydney.

-Anthony
illusion is a choice
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22175 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
As stated previously by myself, the very best version is Alan Shaxon Rabbit From Hat. See his video tape or book.

They sell collapsible top hats just about everywhere do to Loftus Novelty Supplies for about $40.00. If you need a source, try http://www.stoners.com

As you posed the question from a client. My response, would be that, I do not do that trick anymore. Was this a condition whether they would hire you? If not it may have just been a question to relate to you as a magician. You cannot always take everything literally.

See the Tarbell Course as well for methods.

Then for the Shaxon method you need a top hat, 18" black silk, large foulard or table cloth, rabbit, light weight 3 legged table with top, and lots of practice. Of course you have to make the secret device.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Need some help on pulling a rabbit out of the hat (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL