The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Networking (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Fact is...regardless of what some may think or say here on the Café..I do have important information to share, and will continue to do so. Here is an interesting story from today's efforts. I am sure there are plenty here on the Café that have not used these techniques and may find them very rewarding.

I have been meeting with a past customer for the past 2 weeks on an upcomming adventure (showcase)

On my way home, I decided to stop by to see my friends at their local party store. While hanging around and purchasing a few needed things, I was introduced to a lady that owns more than a dozen restaurants in town. Her magician just moved out of town, and left nobody to cover his position. We talked for a few minutes, and then she set up an appointment to meet up with the marketing director.

The owner of the party store said; "We do events for her all the time, and will even close our entire store to do so. She is a very important figure in town...always in the paper, has her own tv cooking show etc."

So, next time you are out and about...stop by and give a friendly hello to business's that cater to your audience. This 15 minute introduction could add an extra booking or two to your calendar, and create rewarding relationships.

Charles
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
696 Posts

Profile of misterillusion
What you say is RIGHT ON. Last Thursday I attended a breakfast meeting of the local Chamber of Commerce. I had a nice breakfast, handed out cards and brochures and talked to as many people as I could. End result:
1. I established email conversation with the town mayor
2. A director of a local company has referred me to some prospects and wants me to stay in touch for an upcoming company event.
3. A local rep asked me for some information to pass around to local schools for magic entertainment programs and this has already created one booking next month.
4. The same local rep at a cell phone store called me today and requested 50 of my brochures that she is going to distribute to some of her contacts.

There may be other developments from this one event, and I haven't even started to make follow-up calls from the business cards I collected.

Bottom line is that I believe one of the most effective ways you can promote your business is to NETWORK and to follow though on the referrals.

Charlie
May every day be magic!

http://www.misterillusion.com
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1073 Posts

Profile of Nash
Good for you making contacts at chamber of commerce. I'm thinking about dropping my membership since the return rate is less than appealing.

But yes, networking is a very strong way to market. You just got to find the right organizations to network with.
Don't give up, don't EVER give up.

NashFung.com/virtual-magic-show
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Quote:
On 2010-02-01 23:43, misterillusion wrote:
What you say is RIGHT ON. Last Thursday I attended a breakfast meeting of the local Chamber of Commerce. I had a nice breakfast, handed out cards and brochures and talked to as many people as I could. End result:
1. I established email conversation with the town mayor
2. A director of a local company has referred me to some prospects and wants me to stay in touch for an upcoming company event.
3. A local rep asked me for some information to pass around to local schools for magic entertainment programs and this has already created one booking next month.
4. The same local rep at a cell phone store called me today and requested 50 of my brochures that she is going to distribute to some of her contacts.

There may be other developments from this one event, and I haven't even started to make follow-up calls from the business cards I collected.

Bottom line is that I believe one of the most effective ways you can promote your business is to NETWORK and to follow though on the referrals.

Charlie


Hey Charlie,

Congrats!!! I am so glad you had the opportunity to meet and greet with businesses that understand the power of relationships.

I have had much success hanging out at the party store for an hour or so and making a few balloons. I always do them business in some sort of way. I can get my balloons online at wholesale cost however I buy from them b/c they put my party planning guides on their counter, jumbo dollars etc. They are they only party store that I work with b/c they understand the importance of working together.

My party planning guides are mailed with my confirmation letter, put on display at my shows, and handed out freely to those I meet. I place a coupon for the store on the back page to help promote there establishment. Goodbags are the perfect opportunity to make extra money, but also put a coupon in there for the party store or pizza shops. It helps your customers, the party store and you.
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
696 Posts

Profile of misterillusion
Quote:
On 2010-02-02 00:22, Nash wrote:
Good for you making contacts at chamber of commerce. I'm thinking about dropping my membership since the return rate is less than appealing.

But yes, networking is a very strong way to market. You just got to find the right organizations to network with.


In my area there are several Chamber of Commerce organizations. The first two I visited generated absolutely nothing in spite of my efforts. The third one "was a charm" and I am excited about what is happening. Like anything else, though, you have to make things happen--not let things happen. By that I mean you have to be proactive and make yourself known without forcing yourself on anyone. I think anyone who is a working magician knows how to do that.
May every day be magic!

http://www.misterillusion.com
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
696 Posts

Profile of misterillusion
Quote:
On 2010-02-02 01:34, trickychaz wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-02-01 23:43, misterillusion wrote:
What you say is RIGHT ON. Last Thursday I attended a breakfast meeting of the local Chamber of Commerce. I had a nice breakfast, handed out cards and brochures and talked to as many people as I could. End result:
1. I established email conversation with the town mayor
2. A director of a local company has referred me to some prospects and wants me to stay in touch for an upcoming company event.
3. A local rep asked me for some information to pass around to local schools for magic entertainment programs and this has already created one booking next month.
4. The same local rep at a cell phone store called me today and requested 50 of my brochures that she is going to distribute to some of her contacts.

There may be other developments from this one event, and I haven't even started to make follow-up calls from the business cards I collected.

Bottom line is that I believe one of the most effective ways you can promote your business is to NETWORK and to follow though on the referrals.

Charlie


Hey Charlie,

Congrats!!! I am so glad you had the opportunity to meet and greet with businesses that understand the power of relationships.

I have had much success hanging out at the party store for an hour or so and making a few balloons. I always do them business in some sort of way. I can get my balloons online at wholesale cost however I buy from them b/c they put my party planning guides on their counter, jumbo dollars etc. They are they only party store that I work with b/c they understand the importance of working together.

My party planning guides are mailed with my confirmation letter, put on display at my shows, and handed out freely to those I meet. I place a coupon for the store on the back page to help promote there establishment. Goodbags are the perfect opportunity to make extra money, but also put a coupon in there for the party store or pizza shops. It helps your customers, the party store and you.


Coupons have not worked too well for me, but your method of face to face marketing is a great way to market. I can't think of a better way. The mom and the kids get to see you up close and for real. As long as they go home with something in their hand that has your contact info on it, you will get some calls. Something else I hand out in addition to the party planner is a small booklet of tricks (folded 8 1/2 X 11 sheet) which is similar to the "dollar" but with more tricks on it.

You have some great ideas which will pay dividends.

Charlie
May every day be magic!

http://www.misterillusion.com
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Quote:
On 2010-02-02 09:16, misterillusion wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-02-02 01:34, trickychaz wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-02-01 23:43, misterillusion wrote:
What you say is RIGHT ON. Last Thursday I attended a breakfast meeting of the local Chamber of Commerce. I had a nice breakfast, handed out cards and brochures and talked to as many people as I could. End result:
1. I established email conversation with the town mayor
2. A director of a local company has referred me to some prospects and wants me to stay in touch for an upcoming company event.
3. A local rep asked me for some information to pass around to local schools for magic entertainment programs and this has already created one booking next month.
4. The same local rep at a cell phone store called me today and requested 50 of my brochures that she is going to distribute to some of her contacts.

There may be other developments from this one event, and I haven't even started to make follow-up calls from the business cards I collected.

Bottom line is that I believe one of the most effective ways you can promote your business is to NETWORK and to follow though on the referrals.

Charlie


Hey Charlie,

Congrats!!! I am so glad you had the opportunity to meet and greet with businesses that understand the power of relationships.

I have had much success hanging out at the party store for an hour or so and making a few balloons. I always do them business in some sort of way. I can get my balloons online at wholesale cost however I buy from them b/c they put my party planning guides on their counter, jumbo dollars etc. They are they only party store that I work with b/c they understand the importance of working together.

My party planning guides are mailed with my confirmation letter, put on display at my shows, and handed out freely to those I meet. I place a coupon for the store on the back page to help promote there establishment. Goodbags are the perfect opportunity to make extra money, but also put a coupon in there for the party store or pizza shops. It helps your customers, the party store and you.


Coupons have not worked too well for me, but your method of face to face marketing is a great way to market. I can't think of a better way. The mom and the kids get to see you up close and for real. As long as they go home with something in their hand that has your contact info on it, you will get some calls. Something else I hand out in addition to the party planner is a small booklet of tricks (folded 8 1/2 X 11 sheet) which is similar to the "dollar" but with more tricks on it.

You have some great ideas which will pay dividends.

Charlie


I think live advertising is the best way to go and networking is the best way to go..I have had several of my business friends mention this rules over all other methods they have tried...not business friends in magic either...insurance companies etc..print advertising hasn't been pulling for the past 2 months....It was great with leads, then OK, then nothing. I may have to test a new publication.
pearljamjeff
View Profile
Inner circle
I live inside your computer.
1243 Posts

Profile of pearljamjeff
I think this speaks to the phrase "always be selling." Now, that doesn't need to mean "selling" in the used car salesman sense, but just always have your ears open, ready to pitch when the opportunity arises.

When I sold healthcare services, I constantly would browse around the local scrubs and uniform shop, trying to meet nurses to pitch our company to. I never approached in an aggressive manner, but would open with something like, "You really look like a dedicated nurse."

If I was out grocery shopping and saw someone in a set of scrubs, I always approached to strike up a conversation. It was surprising to me at the time that my approaching them was never once met with resistance. Display a sense of caring about people's needs and you've automatically went from "selling" to "relationship building."

-Jeff
Jeff Travilla - Author of "The Extractor." I work in advertising and marketing now. If you are a professional worker and need marketing help, feel free to contact my company. JCM Media Group.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
One of our country's top kidshow artists (a man I like and respect) is great with kids when he's in character. But, out of character he reverts to his inner city language and mannerisms - whether children are present or not. This is his nature and I respect that. Still, in my opinion, this hurts his image and that disturbs me.

I've always felt that as performers we are in the business of being minor celebrities. We are capable of being recognized at any time by any number of people. Our conduct at that moment can mean the difference between good word-of-mouth promotion or career-busting gossip.

We can't be "On" 24/7, but we should be conscious of the fact that we are our business' greatest and most visible asset. You just never know when opportunity will knock. Be ready for it.

Regarding coupons - Chaz, you really need to check out Eddy Wade's Mommy Pack. I take one to every party I do and the response is phenomenal. As I said on another thread, the majority of my bookings are from Word-of-Mouth and the Mommy Pack is a major contributor to that. All of the premiums in my Mommy Pack are provided by sponsors like your party store with their advertising copy attached. My cake knives come from a local bakery, candles from a party store, the pens have my logo and info and there are several family-oriented "Welcome Wagon" style coupons included. This pack works.

http://www.wademagicproducts.com/MommyPack.html
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
TheMagicianGuide
View Profile
New user
Wheat Ridge Colorado
90 Posts

Profile of TheMagicianGuide
That is unfortunate . . . we know of a few similar performers who forget how to handle themselves professionally when not in character - its really sad when someone does that - it isn't good for the industry at all . . . in one case we were so apalled at the language someone was using (upon getting out of character), we went up to the customer, on behalf of all other performers at that event etc. and apologized, stating we didn't like the way they just behaved . . . turned out to be the woman who hired entertainment for a large festival series - she fired the other jerk and replaced all his performances with ours for the remainder of the summer season! ha! Smile
TheMagicianGuide.com - National Magician Directory.

The Magician Guide is part of Kids Party Resource network of childrens entertainers and event rentals.
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Quote:
On 2010-02-02 09:16, misterillusion wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-02-02 01:34, trickychaz wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-02-01 23:43, misterillusion wrote:
What you say is RIGHT ON. Last Thursday I attended a breakfast meeting of the local Chamber of Commerce. I had a nice breakfast, handed out cards and brochures and talked to as many people as I could. End result:
1. I established email conversation with the town mayor
2. A director of a local company has referred me to some prospects and wants me to stay in touch for an upcoming company event.
3. A local rep asked me for some information to pass around to local schools for magic entertainment programs and this has already created one booking next month.
4. The same local rep at a cell phone store called me today and requested 50 of my brochures that she is going to distribute to some of her contacts.

There may be other developments from this one event, and I haven't even started to make follow-up calls from the business cards I collected.

Bottom line is that I believe one of the most effective ways you can promote your business is to NETWORK and to follow though on the referrals.

Charlie


Hey Charlie,

Congrats!!! I am so glad you had the opportunity to meet and greet with businesses that understand the power of relationships.

I have had much success hanging out at the party store for an hour or so and making a few balloons. I always do them business in some sort of way. I can get my balloons online at wholesale cost however I buy from them b/c they put my party planning guides on their counter, jumbo dollars etc. They are they only party store that I work with b/c they understand the importance of working together.

My party planning guides are mailed with my confirmation letter, put on display at my shows, and handed out freely to those I meet. I place a coupon for the store on the back page to help promote there establishment. Goodbags are the perfect opportunity to make extra money, but also put a coupon in there for the party store or pizza shops. It helps your customers, the party store and you.


Coupons have not worked too well for me, but your method of face to face marketing is a great way to market. I can't think of a better way. The mom and the kids get to see you up close and for real. As long as they go home with something in their hand that has your contact info on it, you will get some calls. Something else I hand out in addition to the party planner is a small booklet of tricks (folded 8 1/2 X 11 sheet) which is similar to the "dollar" but with more tricks on it.

You have some great ideas which will pay dividends.

Charlie


Where do you get a small booklet of tricks at a reasonable rate? Thanks Charles
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
696 Posts

Profile of misterillusion
Hi Chaz......Last year I purchased from Eric Paul the camera ready copy for the Ed Harris series of pamphlets and materials. Some of the things I may never use, but the two magic booklets have been distributed by the multi-hundreds at just about every event I attend. I have personalized them with my contact information of course. I will attempt to attach a PDF here so you can get an idea of what the Ed Harris package is all about. If that doesn't work, I can email it to you directly. I am not sure, but perhaps Jack Turk is selling this now. I'm not sure.

Charlie

Click here to view/download attached file.
May every day be magic!

http://www.misterillusion.com
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Eric was the ONLY ONE who has/had the right to sell the Ed Harris Art Collection. Now no-one does. Breaks my heart... I miss Eric! (NOT because of his products... as a friend.)
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
RodHousley
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of RodHousley
Sounds like you guys are doing the right things... I always believe it is not one thing you do that works...It is everything you do that works. You have to be a guerrilla in marketing.

If you haven't read those books by Jay Conrad than you miss out on what most professional business people believe is the best kept secret in marketing today.

What you guys are doing is called prospecting and it is only one part of a multilevel plan to attach your market.

Keep up the good work...
Thanks for the ideas
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
696 Posts

Profile of misterillusion
Quote:
On 2010-02-08 22:39, RodHousley wrote:
Sounds like you guys are doing the right things... I always believe it is not one thing you do that works...It is everything you do that works. You have to be a guerrilla in marketing.

If you haven't read those books by Jay Conrad than you miss out on what most professional business people believe is the best kept secret in marketing today.

What you guys are doing is called prospecting and it is only one part of a multilevel plan to attach your market.

Keep up the good work...
Thanks for the ideas


Thanks for the encouragement. I believe in doing those things that will give me the best results for the time spent. Today I am going to start making telemarketing calls to the entire Chamber of Commerce list. I won't be able to call all 2000 today, but I can make a start. My approach is going to be "introducing myself" as a new member of the Chamber. I know if I talk to enough people I will initiate networking results. Thursday this week I will be attending a Chamber mixer and will be prepared to do networking, but will have some props in my pockets too. The best thing about the mixer is that it will cost me nothing except my time.

Charlie
May every day be magic!

http://www.misterillusion.com
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
696 Posts

Profile of misterillusion
Quote:
On 2010-02-08 22:01, TheDean wrote:
Eric was the ONLY ONE who has/had the right to sell the Ed Harris Art Collection. Now no-one does. Breaks my heart... I miss Eric! (NOT because of his products... as a friend.)


I think many of us agree on that.

Charlie
May every day be magic!

http://www.misterillusion.com
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Agreed! I didn't know him well, but the little time we shared at the conference was encouraging, inspirational and motivational.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Networking (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL