The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » AGT (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5112 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
They're trolling again, same deal as before...90 second slot, producers tell you how to do it, no pay, and their contract essentially makes you a slave.

I'm not interested. Again.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1054 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
Terry Fator has done well with his exposure from that show, essentially guaranteeing that no other ventriloquist ever will. Not that I'd be interested anyway (and not that they're asking). Terry wouldn't have gotten past round one without the extroaordinary singing/impersonation/vent combination. A comedy vent is unlikely to get far. I have heard from a couple performers who have verified that it is not really a talent competetion, it's a reality show.
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Again? I was contacted a month or so ago... then late summer before that. The show is on a downward spiral, people are getting a little tired of judge/panel shows... at least I am.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5112 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
They're having trouble getting anybody to do this. Gee, I wonder if it has anything to do with the way they've treated those of us who've been there? I guess they figure we don't talk with each other.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Cindi
View Profile
Loyal user
Palm Bch, FL
285 Posts

Profile of Cindi
I have told them to "Hit the Bricks" twice already. Smile
Cindi
The Curator of the Unusual
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Profile of The Curator of the Unusual
Believe it or Not!...They actually contacted Me!...I E-mailed back I would gladly if I could drive stakes thru the stage to set-up my prop/tent....never heard back from them...
You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself.
Evel Knievel

Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1054 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
I have to hand it to AGT though, they got it half right. People still like variety entertainment, and a talent competition can still get viewers. The half they got wrong... people don't want the competetion rigged and dramatized like a reality show, and variety artists won't put up with their art being treated like some big company's 'product' with the big company being the only one's who profit by it. They should take their cues from Ted Mack and Ed Sullivan, not from American Idol.
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
Cindi
View Profile
Loyal user
Palm Bch, FL
285 Posts

Profile of Cindi
Not to mention they're RUDE and Disrespectful!
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5112 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
And they wonder why we won't do it?

www.bladewalker.com
jeremysweiss
View Profile
Special user
744 Posts

Profile of jeremysweiss
Ha! Believe it or not they contacted.....ME! VIP audition (so I would have to wait in line with the rabble). Hmmm...how far would I get? Hmmm, would that type of exposure be a good choice? Let me think about it for all of a femtosecond....
The Shock Doc
<BR>www.TheShockDocShow.com
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>http://ballycast.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/ballycast-024-2009-03-21.mp3
<BR>
<BR>"....Jeremy Weiss has the greatest card trick of ALL TIME!"--Jamie D. Grant.
<BR>Start listening to iTricks 11/12/09
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
They contacted me last year. I told them I would if I could play the harmonica in a tutu. They asked if I was a serious harmonica player and I told them I had never played the harmonica but I was very serious. Haven't heard from them sense. I'm not about to go on that crap show with my baby just to let them call it a ugly, red headed, step child. Certainly not.
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
2589 Posts

Does anyone here remember the TV Show from the 80's "That's Incredible!"? We need something like that to happen again.

BTW, to Brett, Erik, et al. "That's Incredible!" was during the era of 8 track tapes, typewriters, payphones (rotary at that) and other things you will never see again.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
Michael K
View Profile
Loyal user
Hazleton, PA
251 Posts

Profile of Michael K
I really looked forward to "That's incredible" but my mother used to call it "That's incredibly stupid."
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
Just got contacted by them again. My response-

"Hi Lisa-

Thank you for contacting us. We are a professional sideshow troupe, so if AGT has changed there policy and now compensates performers to appear, please let us know."
~Les S. Moore, The Dapper Dipper
Swami Yomahmi and Cheeky Monkey Sideshow

"Comedy is a man in trouble." ~Bill Irwin
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
2589 Posts

Stephon, that is wonderful. We are glad that you have made that point. If they contact you, please let us know.

;)
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
Well, they did respond, to my surprise:

"Hello!

Thank you for responding to Lisa and Deb!

I am one of the producers for the show and they were kind enough to forward this to me. Technically we are not legally able to compensate any performer for appearing on the show because it is a competition. But a lot of our contestants are in fact very successful professional performers with major hotels and cruiselines, cirques etc..."

"We will however take care of travel, room and perdiem id you are selected for the show and we only hold you a dew days at a time unless you make it farther in the rounds and then it may be a week at the most."

"I would love to see what it is that you do if you are interested. We have over 20 million viewers per episode right now and the national exposure for your company would be staggering...thus increasing your buisness and potential contracts with just one performance! that's always a point to consider for just 2 days of your time when you obviously love what you do!"

Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2915 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
If the perdiem is $1,500 a day, then I say do it.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5112 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
"...a week at most"

I wonder what that could possibly mean?

www.bladewalker.com
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
Ok, so I responded to the letter I posted above (I know the thing about exposure sounds a little arrogant, but I wanted to be clear that they can't just say "exposure" and expect us to do a happy dance):

Hi Tyree-

Thank you for the reply.

I am surprised to read that you're not legally allowed to compensate performers because AGT is a competition, as one of our performers was compensated for her appearance on The Gong Show. Several of our members are union, so actually, compensation would be legally required, if we appeared.

As you say, we do love what we do, and we also value it. While exposure can be useful, potentially being a quick-cut in a montage hardly balances against the time, effort, and work we put into our show. Besides, Cheeky Monkey Sideshow has already been featured internationally in books, movies, on television, and in the news; exposure alone is not a strong draw for us.

However, we would consider submitting material for the show, provided that, before appearing, we had a contract stipulating that Cheeky Monkey Sideshow and its performers would retain all ownership, rights, and control of our material, and have final say on our costuming and act presentation on the program.

Thanks again for your reply and your interest.

Today, I received this reply:

Thank you Stephon!

As much asd I would like to be able to promise those things to you, I can not. That would have to be something that if you wanted to participate in the show, you would have to discuss with legal. They are the ones that can actually define all of your questions and concerns clearly and with reasonable accuracy.

I appreciate your reaching out to me and I totally understand your position. As unfortunate as it is, we may not be the best fit for your troupe at this point in your career.... and I applaud you for your successes!!

Thank you,
Tyree McLyn

A little patronizing, but still, better than what I was expecting. Didn't address the compensation issue, tho.

Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
I don't think she'd be at her job long if she said the simple truth: "Sorry, but we're only interested in booking desperate unknowns with little or no actual stage time."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » AGT (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL