The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Sales tax (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Apparently you have to pay sales tax on your shows in West Virginia. Anyone else run into this?
Carducci
View Profile
Special user
Denver
539 Posts

Profile of Carducci
Quote:
On 2010-02-02 16:53, trickychaz wrote:
Apparently you have to pay sales tax on your shows in West Virginia.

Yes and no... Under WV tax law, you are considered an entertainer/artist and, as such, exempt from collecting and submitting sales tax if you're paid less than $3k for an event.

Disclaimer: I'm a magician, and not an accountant or tax attorney, but this is my summary of West Virginia Senate Bill 324, passed in 1997.
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Quote:
On 2010-02-02 18:26, Carducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-02-02 16:53, trickychaz wrote:
Apparently you have to pay sales tax on your shows in West Virginia.

Yes and no... Under WV tax law, you are considered an entertainer/artist and, as such, exempt from collecting and submitting sales tax if you're paid less than $3k for an event.

Disclaimer: I'm a magician, and not an accountant or tax attorney, but this is my summary of West Virginia Senate Bill 324, passed in 1997.

Thanks Carducci
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
It is always best to contact an accountant, or tax office in your area to ensure you are following the rules of your state/province. ie. interpretation of an event? is it a contract? is it a perfomance? is it a series of performances? If you are booked by a restaurant on an open contract and it runs several months (or years as was my case), is this considered "an event" or "a booking"?

Always best to check with the tax office, they may even have other information materials relating to running the business as an entertainer. I know we do here.

Blair
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
The North Carolina legislature is now discussing a "sales tax" on services and labor such as entertainment, plumbing, auto repair, home repair, day care and so on. Naturally, lawyers and doctors are exempt...imagine that! I've avoided retail sales to stay clear of the sales tax bureaucracy. Ah well.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
JordanB
View Profile
Special user
dallas, tx
645 Posts

Profile of JordanB
From my experience, many states that impose a sales tax usually have some kind of exemption for "professional services". They usually define these in narrow terms in the legislation, but it usually includes doctors, lawyers, and CPA's.

For the West Virigina Law, see West Virigina Code Sec.11-15-9(40)

Here's a link:
http://www.legis.state.wv.us/WVCODE/Chap......=9#15#15

Edit: If your state is considering imposing a tax, be sure to write, call, and visit with your state representatives. See if you can get an exemption for performing artists. Get local magic club members and performers to do the same.
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Just filed my business liscence today. I am not exempt from paying sales tax as a magician unless the organziation is sales tax exempt. In which case I have to request their tax exempt form and keep in on file in my office. Each invoice has to show a. tax included b. price + sales tax

I have to file the sales tax quarterly, and if it is late, there are a ton of fees attached! I also had to file a liscence with the city office to run an office from my home. I am allowed 100 square feet of office space and it specifically has to be used for office.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
When I had my Pennsylvania tax number the tax man knew about many of my shows and asked me how many items I sold at each show. I sent them back their tax number, and they gave me back my privacy. I am quite happy with this arrangment.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1297 Posts

Profile of nucinud
Every state has different rules about sales tax
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
Chaz... you might wish to check this out. Publication from your state, specifically about expemption for performers:

http://www.state.wv.us/taxrev/taxdoc/tsd400.pdf
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Sales tax (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL