The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » POLL: Would you use a mat if you could? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I was joking about the bolting and the checking Smile

Great. I'm going to have to get one of these eventually.

I'm always looking for a spot to do things at home as well. Looks like this would work in a lot of places.

You've got me thinking.

Thanks Scott.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Dave Schutt
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Dave Schutt
Well just want to put my opinions out there as well. I try to do as many effects in my routines that happen in the spectators hands or that don't need a table top. I do have a table hoppers mat that I use for card spreads, cups and balls, chop cup, etc. The venue I'm working usually dictates the types of routines I'm planning. For more adult audiences I usually throw in some mentalism effects and family venue I'll usually have the C&B's, and Chop Cup.

There's no right or wrong answers. I want to say I have Scott's DVD, and Cups and Balls Routine and love them both. So I'm sure his table bracket is also top notch. He's definitely a magician's magician and not just out there shilling for a buck like some.
Dave Schutt
Charlotte, NC
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I appreciate that, Dave--really! The reason it took me so long to put this on the market was that I wanted it to be a quality item at a fair price. I tried making it out of cheaper materials but didn't like it. I could have made them in limited quantities, but I would have had to sell them for a couple hundred dollars each. I finally was able to work out a manufacturing deal with a guy who does a lot of work for my father-in-law's business, and he gave me a good deal, so I'm putting this out there.

Back to the original topic: the question wasn't "do you use a mat" it was "would you if you could?" I think it makes sense to use every option available to you. Why limit yourself needlessly? That's why I use my THF. I can still do all the in the hands, chest level, spec's hands stuff, but I can ALSO, do a matrix, cups and balls, shell game, etc. In other words, I can still do ALLL the stuff that doesn't require a mat PLUS ALL the stuff that does! My options are vastly increased, whether I decide to exercise them or not!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Scott Guinn asks, in reply to those who do not use a close-up mat: "Why limit yourself needlessly?"

In that case, why not haul around a closeup table or, for that matter, drag your sub trunk table-to-table?

The point is, when you start adding stuff to carry with you, where do you stop?

I don't consider not invading the customer's space as "limiting myself".

But a more cogent question might be:

Do you stand at the table and perform or do you sit down and join the customers to perform?
Pharaoh
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Pharaoh
I think that a smart close up mat adds an extra something to a performance and perhaps helps to distinguish at the start, the difference between you and their previous bad experience of their friend/family member who showed them a bad 'magic trick'.

The mat also allows a focus of attention.
Mistro
View Profile
Special user
Canada
577 Posts

Profile of Mistro
Definetly Yes! The mat really helps me in performing my trick. I feel more relaxed when my mat is there at my performances.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6586 Posts

Peter,

Did you look at the photo of the item to which I referred? I guess I don't see how that could even remotely be considered as "invading their space."

However, I admit that it's not for everyone and there is room for a difference of opinion here. I personally prefer to use a mat when the opportunity allows. I in no way meant to state or imply that it was bad or wrong if you choose not to, and if I made that impression, I sincerely apologize.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
947 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
Scott,

Nice contribution. I think I'm going to have to get one. I have one question. How much "bounce" would be encountered during the vigorous shuffles required for a story deck routine?

Also in keeping with the thread: Both Sam the Bellhop and my cups and balls routine consistently net me unsolicited tips in the twenty to thirty dollar range. Both those routines are "return to the table" tricks for me.

I have to err on the side of "invading their space" They pay me to do it--retroactively.

Besides, as a spectator, I would be more comfortable watching a magician invade my table with a close up mat to perform solitary effects, than to ask me to drop my baby-back ribs to interact with a two-card monte sequence.

Truth is, we invade their space exponentially more by putting our hands on them directly, as opposed to hijacking a 21 by 16 plot of the table edge.: For sponge balls, watch steals, Monte tricks, and even ambitious card routines. Touching people is a major abrogation of the cultural "bubble." But we do it without alarm, routinely.

Hence, I go with the mat when possible. I have nothing against the contrary opinion.

I do feel like this argument fall along the same lines as those who feel the sponge ball somehow crosses the line of magical jurisprudence--too outside the realms of normalcy. of course they need to explain their Ring-flite, English Coppers and wallet the size of Boris Yeltsin's liver before I dump my squishy little spheres of astonishment.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6586 Posts

Quote:
On 2003-11-09 23:00, Ron Giesecke wrote:
Scott,

Nice contribution. I think I'm going to have to get one. I have one question. How much "bounce" would be encountered during the vigorous shuffles required for a story deck routine?

Virtually none--it's very stable.
My Lybrary Page
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Quote:
On 2002-04-05 12:52, p.b.jones wrote:
Can I just ask those of you that use a mat table hopping, what do you use it for?

you surely do not perform on it, do you?
phillip

What else would you use it for?

I don't use a mat for performing because I have trouble finding space etc. In fact, I don't even like using a table!!!!

With more the a handful of people no one can see whats happening on the table.

I only use as a place to put props for a second. The magic NEVER happens on the table.

I really like table hoppers friend. I don't think it suits me personally since I am more of a get down and dirty amongst the crowd kind of guy. On the big tables I like to walk around alot.

But I know a few guys who I will give the link to.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
I've used a pad for years when table working, for a number of reasons, most of which have already been mentioned.

One really important point is that it designates an area as YOURS and will inhibit the "grabbers" to some extent.

They are also useful for keeping your props dry.

Lee Darrow, C.Ht
http://www.leedarrow.com
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Shane Wiker
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1199 Posts

Profile of Shane Wiker
Yes mats are alot easier to work with than table.
skc417
View Profile
Loyal user
australia
226 Posts

Profile of skc417
Don't you feel much more secure standing behind a close up mat?? I think it's best to have a small magic table you can roll around. You have plenty of room to store and ditch things. And the close up mat acts like an transition zone where you can either perform on, or if you are performing in hands, then it's a place where you would place objects that signal to the audience that they can touch.

It's a buffer zone between you and your audience, and won't you rather them snatching something from the table top then from your body?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » POLL: Would you use a mat if you could? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL