The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » What MUST be in your video? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Comedy Writer
View Profile
Special user
594 Posts

Profile of Comedy Writer
Making a new demo video and got to wondering -- what elements must be in a magic demo video? Music? Reactions? Quotes? Mention Copperfield?
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Audience members having a great time!

Jim
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
jackturk
View Profile
Elite user
463 Posts

Profile of jackturk
Way to kill a thread with the ultimate answer Jim.

What he said.

--Jack Turk
"59 Ways To Recession Proof Your Entertainment Business -- FREE!"
http://www.GetLeadsLikeCrazy.com

"How To Make $25,000 a Year Doing Birthday Parties Part-Time"
http://www.magicmarketingcenter.com/birthdayPT
pearljamjeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Ann Arbor
1249 Posts

Profile of pearljamjeff
Reactions are most important. Get meaningful/emotional ones, not just "shock." If you can get someone who tears up with joy (and make it comes across that way on video), that would be the ultimate. That's the type of stuff that gets me, personally. Might not work on everyone.

There's an old Hallmark commercial that I saw maybe 10 years ago. It was the best commercial I have ever seen because of its emotional impact. I only buy Hallmark cards to this day. I truly believe real emotion is key in advertising.
Jeff Travilla - I own an advertising agency to help finance my magic addiction.
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Sorry, didn't mean to kill the thread, Jack!

Here's a suggested outline for a short demo:

Start with a 30 second opening of show highlights to music to get their attention...

then cut to a segment shot at a live performance. Since it's the first time they see me, I want a a segment showing a strong (the strongest) reaction...

followed by another series of visuals to music, including lots of audience reactions, with a voice over explaining what I do...

followed by another segment from a live show

then cut to a few testimonials from audience members

Finally, close with some rolling credits of clients served or venues where I've performed.

This formula has worked well for me.

Jim
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Check out mine on http://www.conman.com.au
Carducci
View Profile
Special user
Denver
543 Posts

Profile of Carducci
Ditto to what Jim Snack said - people having fun!

It comes down to features vs benefits - Magicians often fall into the trap of wanting to spend too much time showing off their features (i.e. tricks) in their promo videos. Features do have their place in the sales pitch, but benefits answer the all important question “What’s in it for me?” Your benefits are the value you are providing and the core reason you will be booked.

The benefit that you, as a magician, are selling is entertainment. You need to capture the emotions of the people you are performing for.

Before you start work on your video, make a list of everything you want to communicate, try to be as objective as possible and view things from your client’s perspective. Rank these in importance from highest to lowest, then decide what elements you want to use to communicate these things.

If it helps, here is the list I made when I produced my video:

My video must communicate that:

1. Everyone is having fun
2. My magic astonishes people
3. I am friendly
4. My act appeals to a diverse range of people and cultures
5. I can perform in many different situations
6. I have spent many years polishing my act
7. I am skilled
8. My show is sophisticated
9. I am a professional
10. The tricks I perform are interesting (last because it is implied in 1,2 4 etc)

You will, undoubtedly find your own list but I hope this gives you somewhere to start.
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Quote:
On 2010-02-03 13:58, Comedy Writer wrote:
Making a new demo video and got to wondering -- what elements must be in a magic demo video? Music? Reactions? Quotes? Mention Copperfield?

Read Jack Turks free 59 ways...there is quite a bit of info in there. I have no put together one yet, but did read though and found it very interesting.
MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
761 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
Ok so here is the wrench in the gog...

SORRY..

do these videos fall under the new FTC guidelines and do you need video releases of audience members to use it?

I know a lot of the Internet Marketing community is taking the new FTC guidelines to the extreme of no longer having any testimonials.. but would audience reaction fall into that category?

not be rhetorical here, these are things I have been thinking about just havn't had the time to do proper research.. (knee jerk reaction is that it would have no effect on a promo video, but I don't actually know)
its ok.. balloon dogs don't bite
Christophe Rossi
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Christophe Rossi
People having fun!
Yeah I think that is the most important ...
Carducci gived very good advices ...
Here is mine, still thinking if I change it or not but I did with the material I had ...

http://www.youtube.com/user/TVtubeMADEin......qa456UD4

Best

Christophe
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
FTC is all good 'as long as you can PROOVE it' and ONE THING YOU NEED in your video is PROOF! PROOF! PROOF! PROOF! PROOF! (...and be able to prove the proof! If you have numbers. - Heheheh)

The MORE 'proof' you have the more chance you have an getting the gigs.

There are other things... but no proof and you are missing out big time.

Just my experience and .02 cents worth! Do with it what you will.
Deano in Reno
<><

Find Your Passion… DO Your Purpose… Make It Profitable!

REMEMBER;
Celebrate EVERY MOMENT!

I am at your service and in HIS Service,
Deano (Helping You Succeed) in Reno
<><
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
Comedy Writer
View Profile
Special user
594 Posts

Profile of Comedy Writer
Thanks for the input - I am re-editing my promo videos!

Joke writing guy
socalmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
267 Posts

Profile of socalmagic
Standing ovations, live customer testimonials, and TV footage are all great parts of an effective promo video.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » What MUST be in your video? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL