The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Mommy Bags at B-Day Parties? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Chris LaBarge
View Profile
Regular user
Upstate New York
134 Posts

Profile of Chris LaBarge
I read on another thread that they hand out an evaluation in the Mommy Bag. Have I totally been missing the boat? What is this Mommy Bag and what goes in it?
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1813 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
The first person I saw discuss this was Eddy Wade and he sells a package of templates to use for it:
http://www.wademagicproducts.com/MommyPack.html
Chris LaBarge
View Profile
Regular user
Upstate New York
134 Posts

Profile of Chris LaBarge
Michael,

Thanks for the heads up...thats a great idea.

Anybody do anythings else...anybody get good responses from this?
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I've been using Eddy's Mommy Packs for nearly six years now and I manage roughly 80% of my bookings from word-of-mouth. All I can say is, Mommy Packs really work.

My initial problem with them was the cost of putting them together. It wasn't bad - around $6.00 per bag - but, I wanted a way to cut the cost while increasing the perceived value of the "gift." I went out and found cross-promotion partners to share the cost of the bag. A local bakery provided the plastic cake knives with their advertising copy printed on the handles. A local camera shop provided the disposable cameras with their ad copy. A local party store provided the candles and safety matches with their ad copy. A local babysitting service provided Sitter Information fridge magnets. I also collected "Welcome Wagon" style coupons from a local ice cream shop, party store, science toy store, museums, play zones and so on.

In addition to my strong customer service and ability to entertain younger children, these Mommy Packs have been a major reason for my word-of-mouth access to the upper income areas around me.

Eddy's kit will explain everything with camera ready forms and artwork. It is worth EVERY penny.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
I've never done Eddy Wade's kit, but I've handed out small "kits" to moms for years. At first I called them "mommy relaxation" kits! Then I changed to more of a Thank-you kit. I don't think it's very common among magicians, so Chris, I don't think you're missing the boat!
I don't give away a camera, most of the people who hire me are using digital cameras these days, and I always have mine with me in case they forgot one. I've heard of others handing out everything from gift certificates to the spa to chocolate, relaxation teas, candles, cake cutters, candles, custom scrapbook pages, and more!
I think it's a great idea, it's worked well for me, it shows you go above and beyond what most other entertainers will do.

Best Wishes!
Kevin
Chris LaBarge
View Profile
Regular user
Upstate New York
134 Posts

Profile of Chris LaBarge
I've always kept an "emergency kit" in my case with candles, batteries, disposable camera, and Shout wipes but this is a whole new level. I've done some quick research and at least one other guy in my area uses Eddy's kit. I may pick it up and try to modernize and customize it for my market. Thanks guys
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Like Kevin, I no longer include the camera for the very reason he states. Between cell phones and digitals, EVERYONE has a camera these days. Other than that and the occasional material updates and remakes, my bag has remained pretty much unchanged over the years.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
Wow what a coincidence that this topic came up. I was just starting to put together mine. I have had Eddy's product for at least 2 years but have finally got to the point in my business where the initial up front cost is warranted. Also some of the other items in there can be used for other promotional activities as well. I wont be going the camera route as the expense is too high and as kevin said everyone uses digital now.
Great ideas as always from Skip, I may look into partnering with some local business as well.
jiayi
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
323 Posts

Profile of jiayi
Hi Skip, what kind of deals do you work out with the local businesses? Do you charge them a small fee to be included in the Mommy Pack?
Alikzam
View Profile
Elite user
433 Posts

Profile of Alikzam
Interesting... I've never even heard of this before but I do something similar. In the pre-show mailout for birthday parties I include a printed checklist, as well as a guest list sheet with a section for recording which gifts came from who, and also a brochure that includes my up-sell items as well as 10 "tips" for a birthday party. You can see the tips, and the downloads that I include in the FAQ on my birthday site. http://www.HassleFreeBirthday.com
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Quote:
On 2010-02-04 15:29, jiayi wrote:
Hi Skip, what kind of deals do you work out with the local businesses? Do you charge them a small fee to be included in the Mommy Pack?

Jiayi, No deals...I just explain and ask if they'd like to be included. They provide everything at no cost to me so why should I charge them. It benefits them and it enhances the perceived value of this gift to the party mom. I hand out maybe 5-8 packs in an average week - not a HUGE market share that would justify charging for a "service."

Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1600 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
Skip,

I've got Eddy's materials, and if I remember correctly (it's been awhile since I read it), he says that he brings the paks with him on the day of the show. Is this what you do, or do you send them out before the show?

I usually arrive at the party *after* the party is already started, and mom is busy controlling the mayhem. By that time it seems that she would have no time to look through a package that I would bring to her, and wouldn't get a chance to go through all the materials until the party is over.

Brian
Chris LaBarge
View Profile
Regular user
Upstate New York
134 Posts

Profile of Chris LaBarge
Brian,
That's the concern I have. I send a party guide and checklist with my confirmation via e-mail. I have often thought that it would be nice to bring something for mom that she could look through later on after the party. The question is what? I thought of doing chocolates and and other goodies like that but I want to be sure it doesn't look cheap but also doesn't cost me a ton.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
As with anything in this business, if you find an idea you like then adapt it to your style. When I book a party I send a confirmation email with a Party Planning Guide PDF file. The color Ebook includes hyperlinked ads for my Mommy Pack cross-promotion partners. The mother gets this right away. My Post-show survey is sent out as an email link after the show. I gave up on stamped post cards and envelopes years ago.

The Mommy Pack is that "thoughtful little something extra" that I hand to the mother when I arrive. Things like the cake server, candles, Ghiradelli or Godiva mints and bandaids are visible in the front of the clear plastic bag, so it just takes a casual mention such as "I brought a few things you might be able to use - just in case." If I hear the mother mention that she forgot candles, needs matches or a bandaid I invite her to look in the Mommy Pack. Otherwise, she can explore it later. No loss either way and the courtesy is still very much appreciated.

It's not supposed to be a big deal. The Mommy Pack is simply one extra little touch that helps you be remembered and stand out from the competition.

On a side note, I used to take a "Birthday Star" kit for the birthday child with a personalized top hat or tiara, wand, my custom coloring & puzzle pages, fruit snacks, a magic bank, "I'm the Birthday Star" pin and T-shirt. I stopped because my little bag usually got shoved aside by the general avalanche of gifts, favors and treats at the party. It just had no real impact. I'm still brainstorming ways to change that.

jiayi
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
323 Posts

Profile of jiayi
Great advice, Skip! For the birthday star kit, have you tried to do it right after the show? I bring the birthday child on stage, have everyone to give him/her a big round of applause and then hand out the birthday party kit, but make sure everyone knows what's included in the birthday kit. Personally I only give away a little pocket book of magic and a magic wand. I explain because it is his/her birthday so he/she is the only one getting the kit and everyone else will only get a mystery dollar bill.

This achieves three purposes, first it makes the birthday child feel really special, secondly the parents will really appreciate this and more likely to tip you, and lastly now all the other kids will want the kit as well so they will want you for their party.
Chris LaBarge
View Profile
Regular user
Upstate New York
134 Posts

Profile of Chris LaBarge
I have tossed around giving the birthday child a small magic kit or something of the like...and the Mom and few chocolates and other goodies. I do all of my confirmations, thank you's, and feedback via the web so this would be just a little something that would give a personal touch to my service. I am try to get away from being seen as a commodity.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7404 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
While I don't send a Mommy Pack, I do send a happy birthday banner to the Mom in with my show confirmation letter. I've been doing that for years.

This is the type of banner that has jointed cut out letters that read "Happy Birthday." I buy them in bulk from a local dollar store (he brings in a bunch for me, I pay a lower price). Also, when I'm out and in a pinch, I can find them at WalMart for a little more.

I don't buy the cheapest... I chose ones that looked nice and were reasonably priced. The letters have a coloured metallic look to them.

It gets a really nice response, and I nearly always see it up at the party.

It's the little things that count.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Skip, here's an idea, I don't know if it would help. I bring the child a plastic top hat (gift-wrapped) and after my opening routine, show the present, and then explain what the child is getting. ("...Tommy also gets a magic trick where he can make a flower appear! Would you guys like to see that?") By introducing one of the magic tricks the child is getting, it's the perfect segway into starting the show, plus I tell all the kids that later in the week Tommy might be able to show them the trick, so I'm setting up future excitement for magic.

I've done this at younger parties for years and it seems to work well!

Great thread!
Kevin
TheMagicianGuide
View Profile
New user
Wheat Ridge Colorado
90 Posts

Profile of TheMagicianGuide
Just hand "something" out to the kids and the audience - its a perfect time and chance to do some additional marketing and many performers gain a huge percentage of their bookings from these types of hand-outs. Always, give the birthday kid a t-shirt or something with your contact info/website. . . kids love shirts and there's a good chance they will wear it for awhile and get you some more calls if its a good quality "cool" shirt that lasts awhile . . . don't go cheap there . . .PM us if you need a vendor to talk to about branded items to give away - we have someone who we use who gives us ideas as well on things to use to promote shows/events etc.
TheMagicianGuide.com - National Magician Directory.

The Magician Guide is part of Kids Party Resource network of childrens entertainers and event rentals.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I'm with you on giving the kids a memento (I prefer my color autograph cards and so do they) but, don't make the mistake so many other magicians make - don't stop there. Keep in mind two things:

1) Kids will treasure something ONLY if it has a personal, sentimental meaning for them and

2) Kids don't plan and book parties - mothers do.

Most of the "stuff" you give a child will be dropped, left behind, stuck in a drawer or lost. If you make a great impression on the child, an autograph card MAY wind up framed on their bedroom wall. The younger brother of a close friend of mine visited the apartment of a young lady he was dating. Framed on her wall was an autographed photo she had received from my buddy when she was younger. A connection was made between performer and fan that lasted years!

You also want to generate talk among the neighborhood mothers. The most common question I overhear at my parties is "Where did you find this guy?" This is the perfect opportunity for the mother to add, "...and do you know what ELSE he did for us?" Comments like this give your word-of-mouth campaign huge honkin' wings.

My policy: Connect with the kids but PAMPER the moms!

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Mommy Bags at B-Day Parties? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL