The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Mommy Bags at B-Day Parties? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7404 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I agree with Skip.

The topic of giving gifts and souvenirs to all of the children at a party, or giving magic kits (& other gifts) to the birthday child, is a totally different topic from what you give to the birthday mom.

Because it given to a different person, for different reason, and has a different impact.

One other subtle distinction. When taking the Dale Carnegie course 10+ years ago, our instructor taught us about the difference between genuinely being interested in others vs. faking it. The idea of genuine compliments vs. flattery. If you are doing it wrong, it is about manipulation.

Giving gifts, etc., should be about genuinely wanting to help your customer, and being genuinely interested in them and their needs. Don't just do it because others are doing it, and it seems like a cool marketing idea.

Think about your intent.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Very well stated, Donald.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Agreed Skip! Made me think a little deeper of the way I have my offers set up. Thanks Donald
RodHousley
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of RodHousley
Wow great postings. As we market we always want to remember people buy what they think will solve their problem. We all know people don't buy shampoo they buy clean hair. Shampoo is the solution to the problem. No matter how great the giveaways are if they don't solve a problem I am afraid the might do less good than you thing.
Maybe think about having your giveaways help the child with his pride in him self. Have the shirt say "I friends Rodney Housley the Famous Magician" Any kid would be proud to wear that and parent will see the change in him and see benefit at a deeper level than possibly otherwise. That is just a quick example off the top of my head.

By wording your survey a little differently you might be able to dig up some problems moms have and then find a solution that you can really help with. One thing I do warn is not to state you can solve a problem and you can't or its a real stretch to the imagination. Focus on the problem your service provides the best solution for then market that solution.
Chris LaBarge
View Profile
Regular user
Upstate New York
134 Posts

Profile of Chris LaBarge
I put together some bags for my moms this past weekend. I made it fun and part of the show. It went over very well. At the beginning of the show I invited mom up so that she could be thanked for throwing such a great party. I then pulled out a gift bag and told her that it was her after party survival kit and that the first thing she was going to need was Tylenol because these kids were go to make lots of noise having so much fun with me. Other things in the bag included nice chocolates, shout wipes, clorox wipes, a discount coupon for a maid service, hot chocolate, and a few of my business cards inside a thank you card.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Quote:
On 2010-02-07 17:38, Donald Dunphy wrote:
I agree with Skip.

The topic of giving gifts and souvenirs to all of the children at a party, or giving magic kits (& other gifts) to the birthday child, is a totally different topic from what you give to the birthday mom.

Because it given to a different person, for different reason, and has a different impact.

One other subtle distinction. When taking the Dale Carnegie course 10+ years ago, our instructor taught us about the difference between genuinely being interested in others vs. faking it. The idea of genuine compliments vs. flattery. If you are doing it wrong, it is about manipulation.

Giving gifts, etc., should be about genuinely wanting to help your customer, and being genuinely interested in them and their needs. Don't just do it because others are doing it, and it seems like a cool marketing idea.

Think about your intent.

- Donald

http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog/......ift.html

Ed
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7404 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Hi Skip -

Why do you give the Mommy Pack at the show, instead of sending it in advance?

From my experience, customers are very busy at the party, and when you give them things at that time, it just doesn't have the same impact / get the same attention.

There are only one or two exceptions to what I will give a customer at the show.

Sure, you'll have to spend a little more for postage to send the Mommy Pack in advance, but I imagine that you would have a greater impact.

Have you tested it both ways?

- Donald
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
As I said above, Donald -

"The Mommy Pack is that "thoughtful little something extra" that I hand to the mother when I arrive. Things like the cake server, candles, Ghiradelli or Godiva mints and bandaids are visible in the front of the clear plastic bag, so it just takes a casual mention such as "I brought a few things you might be able to use - just in case." If I hear the mother mention that she forgot candles, needs matches or a bandaid I invite her to look in the Mommy Pack. Otherwise, she can explore it later. No loss either way and the courtesy is still very much appreciated.

It's not supposed to be a big deal. The Mommy Pack is simply one extra little touch that helps you be remembered and stand out from the competition."

It's not an overly useful item, it's not the ultimate party aid, It's not the end-all-be-all service kit. It's a simple thank you gift PERSONALLY handed from my hand to hers when I arrive. It's a personal thought that is MEANT to be sifted through AFTER the party...unless she needs something in the spur of the moment.

Don't over think this. It's simply that single little extra touch.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7404 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
In other words, no, you haven't tested mailing it in advance.

- Donald
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Smile I don't want to mail it in advance. I send a PDF copy of my Parent's Birthday Party Survival Guide with my confirmation via email as a gift. The Mommy Pack is designed and intended (at least for me) to be handed to Mum as a gift when I arrive. Mailing it loses that immediate "How Nice of Him to Think of Me" reaction.

It's not a "Party Planning" kit - it's a "Thank you for Inviting me Into your Home" gift.

Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7404 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
What I hear you saying is this. I haven't tested mailing it. AND, I'm not willing to test mailing it.

That's ok, as long as you realize you are making that intentional choice not to test it another way.

We both agree that giving a mommy pack would seem to be a good idea.

I was just trying to help you out with an additional idea, that could mean more success for you and more help for your customers. The idea is based on my experience with something related. You don't have to follow my suggestion.

I make no guarantees or promises that it will work for you. But I have my suspicions that it would. I might even have to test it further myself in the next few months.

- Donald
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
While I do not do anything like this, I would think candles, cake lifer, matches given at the party would be kind of unnecessary. If they have hired an entertainer this usually means they are planners, ie. the cake is decorated, the candles are on it etc. Also, I find the Mom is usually VERY busy with other things and would not necessarily appreciate the thought. That being said, I do think giving the "thank-you for having me" pack is a good idea, and given at the party works for me. When the Mom opens it later after the children have gone (which you could even suggest she do) she would appreciate it (and you) even more.

Donald, as Skip is doing this as a "thank-you" I see no need to send it in advance. AND if it is anything decent re.size, weight (choclates) etc. it would be quite costly to send out here in Canada.

Blair
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7404 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I have no problem with the idea of giving the customer some sort of thank you gift at the party (chocolates work well for me).

The other stuff in the Mommy Pack is best sent in advance, because many items can help with the planning and the running of the party itself. The mom will be more aware of it's existance, and it is actually more useful when given at the appropriate time. She will be aware of the contents, and will likely use more of the contents (or know that they are handy). TOMA = Top of Mind Awareness is also about timing.

Before the party, the moms "think" about the party and "prepare". At the party, they are "doing." After the party, they don't "think" about the party very much (except maybe enjoying memories).

Also, I think that giving a cake lifter at a party, that carries a sponsor's information, is not giving the sponsor the best exposure. It is more likely not to be used and just tossed out or put in a junk drawer.

But again, this is just my personal opinion.

- Donald
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I do appreciate your suggestion, Donald. New ideas are always welcome. But, delivering the Mommy Pack into the hands of the mum when I arrive works for me...and works very well. Why would I want to change it? Thanks for the thought, though. Smile Still friends?

Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7404 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Smile Still friends.

- Donald
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Mommy Bags at B-Day Parties? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL