The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » The Best Close Up Mats In The World! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
OK, recently I asked about Close Up Pads. I've been using Close Up Pads for about 30 years now and when they stopped making Apollo Pads, I bought several because they were the best pads in the world.

Not anymore. After getting several recommendations I contacted Pattrick and we exchanged emails. I ended up buying several of his pads and after having used them for a day or so, I not only endorse them, I have no hesitation in saying that they are the best in the world. They even exceed Apollo Pads.

Not only that, Pattrick allowed me to pick from new colors that he's introducing-- I selected Casino Green and Navy Blue. The Casino Green is as close to the green felt of the gaming table as you'll ever get.

If you care about your equipment, then you'll order one of these pads. Average size is only $20.00 plus shipping.

IMPORTANT: If you want one of the new colors, like Casino Green, you have to ask for it-- DO NOT order the green that's on the site-- it's a different color.

Here's a link: The Best Close Up Pads In The World

SEY

P.S. I was not compensated for this endorsement in any way. Not only that, I volunteered to do it-- they're that good.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Glad you got hooked up!

I have read and heard NOTHING but glowing reviews on these mats!

MMc
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Anybody have a good source for a pad with a hard/firm bottom?
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!



"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2010-02-04 12:14, kcg5 wrote:
Anybody have a good source for a pad with a hard/firm bottom?


Dean Dill


SEY
allen_m
View Profile
Veteran user
Alpine, TX
349 Posts

Profile of allen_m
Posted an order to Pattrick's site a day or two ago; but, haven't heard back yet... Nice to know I can expect a good product!

-A
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2010-02-04 12:34, allen_m wrote:
Posted an order to Pattrick's site a day or two ago; but, haven't heard back yet... Nice to know I can expect a good product!


Not just good-- THE BEST!

SEY
allen_m
View Profile
Veteran user
Alpine, TX
349 Posts

Profile of allen_m
Quote:
On 2010-02-04 12:47, Steven Youell wrote:
Not just good-- THE BEST!
SEY


LOL, OK, got it! And Steven, your site is the BEST, too!

Thanks to your site and instruction I am passionate about cards again in a way I hadn't been for years...

-A
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Does these pads have a "grain"? In other words, with the ones I'm using now is if want to slide a cards under another one, in one direction it's very easy but in the opposite direction, the card's edge doesn't slide easily.
The ones who use the Mexican Turnover and some subtle ribbon spreading technique will understand my question well.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
John Pilotzi
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of John Pilotzi
I recently saw (bought) one in Chicago from Taylor's. It's not a magic shop, but this mat (a mouse mat) works fine... It folds but doesn't crease. I'll try & find the part number (and maker) and post it! JP
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2010-02-04 13:10, John Pilotzi wrote:
I recently saw (bought) one in Chicago from Taylor's. It's not a magic shop, but this mat (a mouse mat) works fine... It folds but doesn't crease. I'll try & find the part number (and maker) and post it! JP


Are you saying that people should use a mouse pad instead of a pad designed for Card work?

SEY
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2010-02-04 12:59, Lawrence O wrote:
Does these pads have a "grain"? In other words, with the ones I'm using now is if want to slide a cards under another one, in one direction it's very easy but in the opposite direction, the card's edge doesn't slide easily.
The ones who use the Mexican Turnover and some subtle ribbon spreading technique will understand my question well.


Lawrence,

I understand full well what you are describing. To be different (and elegant), about 20 years ago, I bought a genuine mini oriental carpet (with the knotted fringe string border) from the local oriental rug dealer. It was 12" X 12" and was great...except for one thing. The "one-way" grain you described. Not bad for some things--but sliding coins on it or doing most card turnovers or card spreads was next to impossible. Sadly, I had to retire the carpet piece for use as a close-up mat. (sigh)

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
John Pilotzi
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of John Pilotzi
Quote:
On 2010-02-04 13:34, Steven Youell wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-02-04 13:10, John Pilotzi wrote:
I recently saw (bought) one in Chicago from Taylor's. It's not a magic shop, but this mat (a mouse mat) works fine... It folds but doesn't crease. I'll try & find the part number (and maker) and post it! JP


Are you saying that people should use a mouse pad instead of a pad designed for Card work?

SEY


It looks just like a close-up mat. Folds into 4 and can be pocketed. But, NO creases when opened! Lovely! A lot of the local guys are now using it. JP
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2010-02-04 12:59, Lawrence O wrote:
Does these pads have a "grain"? In other words, with the ones I'm using now is if want to slide a cards under another one, in one direction it's very easy but in the opposite direction, the card's edge doesn't slide easily.
The ones who use the Mexican Turnover and some subtle ribbon spreading technique will understand my question well.


I think the question is not in grain but in what is the nap like? I could be wrong but the grain isn't the question it's the nap the pad has.
milesg
View Profile
Regular user
(of experimental medications)
160 Posts

Profile of milesg
I used a custom cut Pattrick-Pad for my close-up table project. As Steven mentioned, the quality is unparalleled. The pad feels thick and sturdy, while the working surface is soft and smooth.

Lawrence, the pad does not have any directional grain/nap that I have noticed... Unlike a velvet or similar material which hasdirection to the way the hairs stand, these pads do not. I will give the pad close scrutiny when I get home, but if there is any directionality to the nap it is almost 100% imperceptible.


Posted: Feb 4, 2010 4:46pm
-----------------------------
Hmm, no edit button...

Okay, I checked out the pad. It does have a slightly different feel when stroked in either direction along one axis, but not when stroking it (in either direction) on an axis 90 degrees from the first.

If a totally smooth surface was 0, and velvet was 10 as far as a grain/nap scale, I'd give the Patrick pads a 1.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Another vote for Patrick's fine work. I have 2 custom pads and will probably be making it 3 soon with my logo embroidered on it.
shuren
View Profile
New user
Barcelona (and Sweden)
52 Posts

Profile of shuren
Quote:
On 2010-02-04 14:00, John Pilotzi wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-02-04 13:34, Steven Youell wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-02-04 13:10, John Pilotzi wrote:
I recently saw (bought) one in Chicago from Taylor's. It's not a magic shop, but this mat (a mouse mat) works fine... It folds but doesn't crease. I'll try & find the part number (and maker) and post it! JP


Are you saying that people should use a mouse pad instead of a pad designed for Card work?

SEY


It looks just like a close-up mat. Folds into 4 and can be pocketed. But, NO creases when opened! Lovely! A lot of the local guys are now using it. JP


Hi John,

I for one would be very interested in this portable pad. Since I don't live in the states I would be very grateful if you could find the name a manufacturer of the pad/mat. Perhaps it can be ordered from somewhere.

Thanks,

Shu-Ren
Metatron
View Profile
Elite user
Port Orchard, Washington
436 Posts

Profile of Metatron
Does anyone make a Close-Up pad that has a small "flip-out" SERVANTE. That would fold flat underneath the pad when not in use?

Just wondering,

Metatron
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2010-02-06 06:20, Metatron wrote:
Does anyone make a Close-Up pad that has a small "flip-out" SERVANTE. That would fold flat underneath the pad when not in use?

Just wondering,

Metatron


I've made myself this type of pad with servante. It's really easy to do. Take some wide woven cotton ribbon. Stick it to the inner lower side of the mat over about two inches. Stick a plastic semi-rigid electricity flat strip (about 1" wide and substantially shorter than the length of the mat) at the ends of the ribbons, keeping the length of the ribbons between the mat and the strip pretty small (like 2"). Have three SMALL cloth self opening pockets of the size of an envelope (equivalent to an inch less than the width of a playing card). Slide a wide magnetic rubber strip of the inner size of each pocket and stick it to the lower side of the pockets (the one that will be towards the audience). The rubber supplies relative rigidity and catches coins easily. Stick these pockets to the strip at the position where your hands will naturally come when they get in rest position on the mat (you'll find that it's not evenly spread).

Now I did write on the outer back of the mat in big bold white letters: "You're lucky, I'm the best!" (I did try other funny texts and settled for the versatility of this one). Before getting into performance, I fold the strip and pockets (with their load) on the surface of the mat and then I roll the mat up towards the outside. When getting into performance I come with the mat rolled under my arm and let it unroll with it's inner end passed the inner edge of the table but keeping hold of what will be the outer part of the mat and I look up as if checking the light. People think that the text they read is the reason for this position (a nice misdirection) and smile as I lay the mat down on the table discretely lining up, without looking the inner end (you very soon get the feeling because the ribbons supply a small resistance). Then I rub the surface with my right hand which allows me to check the alignment, and if need be I nonchalantly adjust it forwards or backwards.

One thing you may want to do if you go this way is to rehearse the proper moves to ditch into and/or steal from the pockets. What I did is to read Slydini's lapping technique and readapted the moves and misdirection to fit such a standing situation.

It's great to use in semi formal types of situations. You can even have people around as you can prevent them from finding the pockets suspicious, and, if your misdirection works well, they will not realize the ditching or stealing during a routine. If you are a little devious (I admit that I am), you do initial effects without using the servante but ditching in your pockets (or theirs) or using a hold out or a topit so that they register that the servante's pockets are not contributing to the deception but are there only for practical reasons like a drawer in a table (however you NEVER want to use the pockets as drawers for the servante should remain in the shade: keep taking your props from your pockets)

Now I work more strolling so I use it less, but it's a great tool well worth the fun you have making it.

PS: I need to give credit to Ross Bertram's Welcome Mat which was my inspiration for this but I wanted one that could be rolled instead of folded in order to avoid creases marks on the working surface. I also owe credit to someone whose name I forgot for the magnetic rubber (a phenomenally useful improvement) that he would stick before the show to the inner side of the table: here you come with a self sufficient mat. In the US, Stapples sells these wide magnetic rubber strips for paper or black boards. I would think that the are easy to get on the net
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Is the number you're thinking of...
1557 Posts

Profile of elimagic
These look great
van
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of van
How about a picture?
Later Ya'll

Van
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » The Best Close Up Mats In The World! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL