The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Story Stack (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
BenSimon
View Profile
Regular user
Munich, Germany
137 Posts

Profile of BenSimon
Buying an instant download with my credit card, entering my cc number I had an idea, as I almost have it memorized by now, since I'm buying a lot of magic ebooks these days...

I've been contemplating learning a Sam The Bellhop type effect for quite a while now. I'm only struggling with making up the story... Anyways, my idea was, once I have the effect down, I can use the story in my mind and the exact same deck to perform countless different effects, using the now memorized stack without telling the story. I am aware that in STB usually only values are used, not suits, but I think when I keep the suits stacked too, after performing the story effect for a few months, the stack will be stored in my mind forever, being able to name the successor of any card. To memorise long sequences of numbers, from what I know, these folks make up stories to attach to the numbers. It only makes sense to use it in both ways.

Does this make sense? Am I missing something here? Did I say too much?
Probably this is in Sam The Bellhop by Bill already, I guess I will have to get it...
Bill Ma-Lone! He's just great!

Cheers,
Ben
the dealer
View Profile
Regular user
las vegas
188 Posts

Profile of the dealer
Arent you concern about the deck not appearing random?
BenSimon
View Profile
Regular user
Munich, Germany
137 Posts

Profile of BenSimon
Oh, thanks for mentioning that. Since I don't plan to use the original Sam the Bellhop plot, I would write my story with that in mind. Might get a little tricky, but I think possible, to make it both useable to produce a story and to still have the deck seem shuffled. The finale, that is the royal flush in STB might be problematic there, but hopefully I'll have an idea for that. Probably it was just a weird idea.
the dealer
View Profile
Regular user
las vegas
188 Posts

Profile of the dealer
Maybe I'm not reading this right, forgive my ignorance, you want to use the STB stack, for different other effects as well, but you are definately keeping the stack right?
BenSimon
View Profile
Regular user
Munich, Germany
137 Posts

Profile of BenSimon
Not *the* STB stack, but one for a story I yet have to write, that maybe produces a more random-looking stack. Smile
the dealer
View Profile
Regular user
las vegas
188 Posts

Profile of the dealer
Ahh I see, ok cool....
Doug McKenzie
View Profile
Veteran user
New York City
326 Posts

Profile of Doug McKenzie
Only problem is you won't know the corresponding number associated with the card. You would know the sequence and that's about it. If you are going to put that much work into it, just learn a stack.
Cohiba
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
749 Posts

Profile of Cohiba
I think his point is to make his MD the same stack as his story stack.

There's an individual who has done that with the Aronson Stack.
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1369 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Quote:
On 2010-02-05 22:13, Cohiba wrote:
I think his point is to make his MD the same stack as his story stack.
There's an individual who has done that with the Aronson Stack.

I would love to hear that story.
I just can't imagine a (sensible ) story that you can derive from an Aronson , Tamariz or any stack that looks like a normal shuffled deck.
In (almost) every story there are many pairs, triples and even 4 of a kind groups.
The idea itself is of course very good and it would be very nice, but I am afraid that it is a pipe-dream.
Maybe a short story is possible with a certain group of cards of the stack.
BenSimon
View Profile
Regular user
Munich, Germany
137 Posts

Profile of BenSimon
Maybe something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyV7n4WstMY
:) Smile Smile Smile
I think I watched that video, a day before that idea crossed my mind, might have been influenced by it. I don't have any experience with stacks apart from Si Stebbins, so I was looking for something that would make memorising a stack easier. But I'm getting the Tamariz book, although my brick and mortar guy said, it's really hard.
Cohiba
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
749 Posts

Profile of Cohiba
It's called The Legend of Southside Johnny, by Paul Thomey. Maybe he'll chime in here - it's not mine to share.
Magicmike1949
View Profile
Special user
643 Posts

Profile of Magicmike1949
Tamariz has some stories with his stack. There in Mneumonica.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
My computer guru and I are hard at work on a big update to my web site. A part of that will include some new articles in the mem-deck section. Thanks to Paul Thomey, they will include the story routine you do with the Aronson Stack... The Legend of Southside Johnny. I think it's excellent and for those of use that work with the Aronson Stack, it's wonderful to be able to do this story routine at any time. And, at the end, your stack is still intact.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
magicdano
View Profile
Regular user
Danny Habel
144 Posts

Profile of magicdano
I am wondering if there are many "stories" around that do use a Si Stebbins stack?
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
To magicdano,
I doubt it since the Si Stebbins stack rather gives itself away if you deal the cards face up on the table. The first thing that is noticed is that Red, Black, Red, Black sequence, then the regular suit rotation, and then the progression by threes of the values.
Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
BenSimon
View Profile
Regular user
Munich, Germany
137 Posts

Profile of BenSimon
I wrote the original post when I still didn't know any stack, hoping I could somehow circumvent memorizing a stack, by simply knowing a story.

Since then I've started learning the Aaronson stack and am surprised how well it goes. I had the first 15 cards down in a little under an hour, then added 5 more over the next day, and another five a few days later, after rehearsing the first 20. Now I've got almost half the deck in very short time and can't wait to have the rest in my memory forever. I'm not using any mnemonic system, but I simply go through my cards, (shuffled face-up/down mixed) with the numbers on the back, and try to link both the card index images, the images of the cards themselves and the loudly spoken names of the cards to the numbers, the spoken out numbers and the visual of the numbers, both in order and in random order. Seems to work for me.

So I'm very excited about The Legend of Southside Johnny, Dennis, as you can imagine. Thanks for all your input everybody.
Eric Richardson
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Eric Richardson
Hi Ben,

You will really enjoy the Aronson stack! Southside Johnny is great. There are so many great things you can do with this stack.

Eric
churken
View Profile
Regular user
California
199 Posts

Profile of churken
Thank you Cohiba, Dennis and Eric for your kind words about The Legend of Southside Johnny. I am extremely flattered that my story continues to get mentioned here and that so many people have seemed to enjoy it.

Paul
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Hello churken, I just want to agree with the others about "Legend of Southside Johnny", it has a great story line. Thanks for letting me in on this one churken.
Magic is a vanishing art.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Quote:
On 2010-02-26 08:23, Eric Richardson wrote:
Hi Ben,

...There are so many great things you can do with this stack.

Eric

And Eric should know... because he's created tons of amazing things to do with the Aronson Stack. Memdeck workers ALL need his book: It All Depends. Many great things to do with the Aronson Stack in there. Thanks, Eric, for your marvelous work on my favorite card magic tool.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Story Stack (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL