The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Gary Jones 'No Frills' Lecture DVD Live (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
Mini review - all IMHO..

I ordered this from Gary direct, and it arrived very quickly. I do not know Gary, and paid my own hard earned cash for this. I already have 'Pocket This' & 'Flying Tonight' (from Blackpool last year).

Production wise, it's pretty good. There are no multi angle over shoulder camera shots, but having watched it a few times now, I think it is fair to say that everything is taught clearly, and captured well on (a very clear) camera. Last year's Workers Corner DVDs suffered from a little bit of 'arty movie syndrome' e.g swooping cameras, which did detract perhaps just a touch from the overall product.

So, here we go: (blurb will be edited in places)

The blurb:
1, Coins to Pocket...A coin repeatedly vanishes from the performer's hand and appears in many different pockets of the spectator. This is a real lesson in sleight-of-hand, audience management and misdirection. This routine will teach you how to load coins, cards or just about anything into people's pockets with ease!

Me:
Yes, an accurate description, and not that hard.

The blurb:
2, Starter For 10...You show an order pad ..and instantly the pad changes into a full deck of cards. This is a superb opener for the restaurant magician! Easily made up in less than one minute...

Me:
Accurate description again, super easy and fairly visual. Not sure I'd use it, but it does look pretty good.

The blurb:
3, 3Fly Plus...This is Gary's version of this classic. Three silver dollar coins are magically produced... ...each coin now completely vanishes in a most magical way. You are now left 100% clean and reset for the next table!!

Me:
Looks great, but I don't do 3 fly. If I did, I would study the routine's flow and construction.

The Blurb:
4, Sponge Ball Surprise...If you do the sponge balls then you will love Gary's solution to the 'multi ball' climax without the hassle of picking up the balls.... ...now a firm favourite with many professionals!

Me:
The climax is very good (as long as you don't have an idiot spectator / participant). I have a climax to my sponge ball effort, but this ending does add a very theatrical / visual aspect to the routine (more so than my own). I might well try this ending...

The blurb:
5, Prediction Die.. ..prediction on view, spectator throws an imaginary die and calls out the number it landed on, prediction matches, or does it?! 100% self-working.
6, 3 Coin Prediction...You predict the outcome (Heads or Tails) of three coins tossed into the air before they land. 100% self-working.

Me:
Both of these are fine, not really something I would do. Item 6 requires.. Actually, I'm not telling.

The Blurb:
7, Repeat Signed Cards to Pocket...Three cards are selected, signed and lost in the deck, one by one each card jumps to a different pocket, now without any moves the cards instantly jump back into the pockets. ... This is a stunning routine and a real magician fooler!!

Me:
I don't care if it is a magician fooler, I have been doing this off and on for the last year, and I love it. I also practice this using the DPS (not because it is a better sleight, but because I like the routine's construction). The first phase is good; the second phase is just sublime...

The Blurb:
8, Ring and Pins...A borrowed finger ring jumps off a MARKED safety pin held in your right hand and onto another safety pin held in your left hand, everything can be examined. Visually stunning and very easy to do!

Me:
Fine, but not a routine that appealed to me.

The Blurb:
9, 6 Cards to Pocket...Arguably the best method for the cards to pocket out there...

Me:
I don't perform this, but it is a great routine, and I do practice it now and then as a 'workout'

The blurb:
10, Pseudo Hypno Coin... ...This a quick and funny routine...

Me:
A visual comedy opener type effect. I could see this being a laugh.

The blurb:
11, Coins Across...Performance only.

The blurb:
12, Pop Up Phone...The magician openly places two coins into his hand, instantly the coins change into a mobile phone. Very easy to do and 100% impromptu!

Me:
Looks fairly visual, probably wouldn't do it myself, unless I could segue it in with another effect.

The Blurb:
13, Mindful Coins...You show a small metal box which contains a prediction (a coin) ... You now bring out a handful of different coins from all over the world, a spectator chooses any coin (no force). Both coins match. Remember no forces of any kind.

Me:
Easy, looks reasonable. Don't think I'd do it.

The blurb:
14, Telephone Prediction...A pack of cards is shown to have 52 different telephone numbers written on their backs. The magician writes a prediction on the back of his/her business card and this is given to someone to hold on to. Any card is now named and removed from the deck, the spectator who's been holding onto the business card is asked to read out what is written on the card, but cannot find any writing, all they can find on the business card are the magician's contact details....Yes, the freely selected telephone number matches the performer's contact details!! This is an excellent way of handing out your business card in a very magical way!

Me:
Agreed. Does what it sets out to do. An effect you also could use / adapt for trade shows etc.

The blurb:
15, Ambitious Card (Incorporating Pocket to Pocket)...This is Gary's take on the classic Ambitious Card but...Gary's Pocket to Pocket sequence will have both magicians and lay people scratching their heads in bewilderment. Stunning!

Me:
Pocket to pocket is a lot of fun to perform, and fun for the audience (as long as they are not drunk!). A great way of performing ACR with a difference.

The blurb:
16, Ring and String Climax...When Bobby Bernard saw Gary perform this in Blackpool he said " You caught me that was excellent!" If you do a ring and string routine then this is the ending you have been waiting for!!

Me:
It's all lies. This is rubbish. Honest. Don't even watch it.
Are you still reading this?
Ok ok.. I really love this. A great quirky way to finish. It seems to me that this is best done (as Gary did it) with a lace / string and a big ring (ninja size), rather than a finger ring or rope. Perhaps Gary will correct me on this. I can't wait to try this on real people. Sorry, no clues as to what it is..

The blurb:
Also included on this DVD is Gary's Top Con Control, a very deceptive card control which is very easy to do. Plus loads of tips on misdirection, audience management, timing, pocket management, working tables, working pre dinner drinks receptions etc.
Every effect on this DVD is instantly reset and ready to go again immediately, so if you're a strolling magician you won't ever have to keep disappearing and having to reset your props or pockets.
The advice and tips on this DVD will help the magician who is trying to break into the 'Close-up' market, but the full time professional magician will also find many of Gary's tips extremely useful.
To view the trailer - http://www.themagicattic.co.uk

Me:
I do use the Top con control now and then. Its very reliable, angle friendly and easy. 'nuff said.
The advice and shared experience is not earth shattering, but IS very useful. As a part timer, I picked up a few tips. A few tips Gary covered, I had learnt through hard earned experience.. (Especially tip 11 – Booked for close up / strolling? Always go prepared for ……..).

So, final thoughts:-
Constructive cons:
Hmm.. I always try to put something in this section of my reviews. It's fairly hard here, as it is a lecture DVD, so I can't criticise the lack of 'real' performance footage, or multi camera angles. Where has the sausage from 'Pocket This' gone? Erm.. some of the routines did not appeal to me, but then there are pleanty of others.. Sorry, but I can't really pick any holes here.

Pros:
I'll probably see more once I watch it a few more times, but this is a very good DVD. It is a thorough lecture that has been captured well on camera.
A very broad range of routines ranging from easy to intermediate-ish in skill level, with discussion regarding why as well as how. Useful real world hints and tips (If you want to start 'working' and don't have a good mentor, you really should get this just for the advice).
Gary proves to be a very skilled performer (and teacher) with great chops, and comes across as likeable, funny, but modest.
Despite having some of the routines already, this has proved to be a very worthwhile purchase, and long term addition to the collection.

Nice one Gary. V.Good product at a more than fair price.

Charlie
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
I forgot to mention that Gary e-mailed me some lecture notes & updates by return when I ordered this (see latest and greatest for free lecture note offer).
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Thanks for the great review puggo!
I got the DVD today but haven't had the time to watch it yet.
Also got his lecture notes free sent to me as a PDF.
Will watch and read this during the weekend.
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
974 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
Thank you Charlie for taking the time to review my lecture DVD.

As I mentioned at the beginning of the lecture, this DVD is a mixture of magic for the pub, dinner/private parties and also for the pro magician. One of the things about doing a lecture for a magic club is, most magicians are hobbyists and just like to do easy to do magic for friends and family, so I pitch my lecture at all levels of magician.

As for the salami, it WILL make its appearance at Blackpool!!!!!!

Once again Charlie thank you for taking the time to do the honest review.

Kind Regards,

Gary Jones.
PS All orders will receive my lecture notes, plus you will also receive updates and additions as and when they're available.
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

DVDs/Effects; The Unknown - iCandy - More iCandy 1 & 2 - Dupes - 52 0n 1 Project - 74% Self Working - Flying Tonight - Pocket This - 6 Pack Coins - 6 Pack Cards - Thought Wave - Noted - Duality - Live Lecture Vol 1 - Pseudo Pickpocket - iContact - Shock Twist - Thought of Cards Across Plus - Touched - Colour Diffusion - Look No Hands Wayne Dobson - Automata - Box Pad - No Frills Lecture Notes 1 & 2 - The Ammo - Double Cross - Initial Here - Automata 2 - Black Market - Trick Soup - Automata 3 - Penguin Live Lecture - Upper Hand - Cartoon Capers - At The Table Lecture - Life's a Beach Vol 1 - Life's A Beach Vol 2 - Alas Chris and Jones.
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
I can't believe I haven't bought this yet. Shall I order it now or wait for Blackpool? I think I'll order it now.

Gary, will you be lecturing in Blackpool this year?
gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
974 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
Quote:
On 2010-02-07 13:48, Andi Peters wrote:
I can't believe I haven't bought this yet. Shall I order it now or wait for Blackpool? I think I'll order it now.

Gary, will you be lecturing in Blackpool this year?

Andi, I lectured at the Blackpool Magicians Club in January, I'll be 'performing' every day at the convention on the Worker's Corner stand alongside Mark Southworth. Come and say "hello!"

Gary.
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

DVDs/Effects; The Unknown - iCandy - More iCandy 1 & 2 - Dupes - 52 0n 1 Project - 74% Self Working - Flying Tonight - Pocket This - 6 Pack Coins - 6 Pack Cards - Thought Wave - Noted - Duality - Live Lecture Vol 1 - Pseudo Pickpocket - iContact - Shock Twist - Thought of Cards Across Plus - Touched - Colour Diffusion - Look No Hands Wayne Dobson - Automata - Box Pad - No Frills Lecture Notes 1 & 2 - The Ammo - Double Cross - Initial Here - Automata 2 - Black Market - Trick Soup - Automata 3 - Penguin Live Lecture - Upper Hand - Cartoon Capers - At The Table Lecture - Life's a Beach Vol 1 - Life's A Beach Vol 2 - Alas Chris and Jones.
Mark Southworth
View Profile
Veteran user
u.k
353 Posts

Profile of Mark Southworth
It will be a pleasure to be along side Gary he is a great guy !!
The material on the dvd are great mix for everyone. Just like the videos of old, there's nothing better no matter what level your at you will learn & use something from this dvd !!

Not many dvds have you reaching for your cards & coins !

I'm a 3 fly junkie & having seen Garys routine........ well I was reaching for my coins !

A Great Guy, Great Material a Great dvd !!

Mark
olaf911
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
104 Posts

Profile of olaf911
Just wanted to chime in with with puggo/Charlie. His review expresses my opinion pretty good. I mainly bought the DVD because of Gary's 3 Fly routine, and I do not regret it. Saw it, grabbed my coins and started practicing. The rest of the DVD is useful too, but the 3 Fly is my favourite. This money is well spent.

Thanks, Gary!
Lee Smith
View Profile
Elite user
420 Posts

Profile of Lee Smith
Gary is without a doubt one the the best working magicians out there, and everyone should watch and learn from Gary and his material.

His skill and teaching is faultless, and the routines on this DVD are among the best I have seen for the working performer. Gary has given me advice in the past and it has always proven to be invaluable.

Everytime I meet the guy he shows me something new and is one of the few people who still fools me on a regular basis.

I cannot reccomend this DVD enough, the number of routines and and effects for the price is great value. If you are are working pro or a keen hobbyist there will plenty for everyone.

Another great product from mr Jones I just hope he keeps them coming.

Lee.
www.walkaboutmagic.com
www.facebook.com/walkaboutmagic
Effects.
STEP SYSTEM vol 1&2, iCandy, iPhone 10, strike 2.2 and lecture notes. All available on my site.
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
Quote:
On 2010-02-24 12:35, Lee Smith wrote:
Gary is without a doubt one the the best working magicians out there

Alongside Paul Gordon. Did everyone pick up Paul's new DVD at Blackpool? If not, why not? You're missing out on some great instruction.
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
I've just been watching Gary's DVD and nearly spat out my tea!

During the spongeball routine the guy in the blue shirt is asked to say a magic word.

He says 'crumpledf**eskin!'

Gary's face is classic. He doesn't know where to look.

Hilarious!!!

Only the Brits, eh?
gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
974 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
Quote:
On 2010-03-06 05:10, Andi Peters wrote:
I've just been watching Gary's DVD and nearly spat out my tea!

During the spongeball routine the guy in the blue shirt is asked to say a magic word.

He says 'crumpledf**eskin!'

Gary's face is classic. He doesn't know where to look.

Hilarious!!!

Only the Brits, eh?

Lol! It did take me by surprise Andi, just didn't see it coming haha! Now you see what happens when it's a live DVD, no retakes or dodgy edits, warts and all!!

Gary.
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Gary Jones 'No Frills' Lecture DVD Live (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL