The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Favorite kids show opener (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I do some speaky warm up type stuff and do this for my first effect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNpzC-0zp_A

I love this routine and still do it but am not entirely delighted with that particular performance. Ah well.

G
magic mccurry
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of magic mccurry
Old school! I believe the opener should always be one of your best.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12089 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2010-02-11 11:17, magicgeorge wrote:

I love this routine and still do it but am not entirely delighted with that particular performance. Ah well.

G

That's the way you do it son! That was great.

J
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2740 Posts

Profile of John Long
George:

Thanks for sharing that video. I enjoyed seeing how you took a standard set of manipulations and used the "look-don't see" technique to turn it into an entertaining piece for kids.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Jef Eaton
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of Jef Eaton
I,too, thought it was great.
It showed any adults in the audience you are a talented magician and got the kids involved right from the start.
Some great manipulation moves too.
Great job...keep up the good work.
kandumagic.com
<BR>jjeaton@aol.com
<BR>Creator of what my Mom thinks are the funniest kid show props around!
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Thanks guys, much appreciated. It certainly is old school, as credited on the video the routine is based on Roy Bakers "Yell up for kids". And although it's quite different now it's his idea to do the "look don't see" on the multiplications that make this trick work.

In the script he suggests it as a routine to be done later in the show but I like it as an opener. I'm not too keen on doing too much look-don't-see or suckering but I think it works well here as it is near the start of the show and also they're not just shouting about some nonsense but something interesting is actually happening.

The routine has changed a lot since I made the video. I've been doing it for 10 years and it is still evolving. I'll see if I can get an up-tp-date recording of it. It's a lot less shambolic now.

George
DrGoodkin
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of DrGoodkin
I use 3 Duck monte, a variation of Bob McAllister's 3 Frog Monte. I use it to explain how paying attention in a magic show will make sure that they don't miss anything.

I've been using this as my opener for about 3 years and getting consistant reactions from it.

cheers !!
- Sincerely,

Dr Goodkin
magic.ian
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of magic.ian
My adaptation of Quentin Reynolds 5 minutes with a pocket hankerchief (there's so much you can do!). For all shows, but especially school and library shows I always greet the kids at the door as they enter the performance room, and I always spend a couple of minutes crouched down at their level, just saying "hi, nice to meet you, have you ever seen a magic show". As a result, the kids are already familiar with you, and you've connected with the kids up front. It also gives you a chnace to scout out potential volunteers and troublemakers.
Flymo
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of Flymo
Quote:
On 2010-02-11 11:17, magicgeorge wrote:

G

Fantastic routine George!

I don't really see it mentioned on here all that often but I love opening with Professor Cheers comedy rope trick. Very funny prop which, although a bit bulky, really has the kids going crazy by the end of the routine.
idomagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Chad Wonder
255 Posts

Profile of idomagic
I open to music and an appearing cane. It gives the kids a "wow" moment. I then go into a 2 minutes of appearing silks from a temple screen (sounds long, but with the jokes and interaction, it works). Halfway through the music I produce a professors nightmare from the screens and complete it to a comedy musical finale. A very nice 6 minute opener set to music I've done for 20 years now (I have changed the music a few times...).
Chad Wonder (Chad Wonder Magic, Inc)
Past President SAM 37/IBM 131 (Mile High Magicians)
https://www.idomagic.com
http://www.ChadWonderMagic.com
ddeckmann
View Profile
Loyal user
Paraguay
202 Posts

Profile of ddeckmann
The sorcerer's apprentice (mcbride misers dream) with a few modifications. Builds up curiosity, gives me time to study the audience and it gets some laughs. Plus its very theatrical and I'm a big fan of silent magic (only with music)

I admit it is not the strongest in my repertoire but is perfect for me.

p.s.: I oredered the 5 card opener and I'll try it at least once to see the reactions, but I think I'll stick with the miser's dream because I like to start very slowly for the kids show.
LVMagicAL
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of LVMagicAL
I do the Bill Abbott 5 Card Opener for virtually all shows, from preschools to senior centers. Love it to death! There are layers and layers of psychology built in and I love the tone it sets for the show.

When I do a repeat show, I still do the 5 card opener, but I do it with an adaptation of Paul Romhany's 5 Bunny Repeat. Same style and effect, with a different set of cards/photos and story line...keeping the Abbott psychology in the effect. Love it!!
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1255 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Quote:
On 2010-02-05 18:23, shomemagic wrote:
Silver Scepter!

Can you elaborate on why this is a good opener for your show? Is it comedy (i.e- everytime you look away the rod moves under the hankerchief and you're telling the children they must be imagining it)? Just curious. I really like the looks of this (and price!) Smile
The Great Zucchini
View Profile
Inner circle
1347 Posts

Profile of The Great Zucchini
George, you're one of my favorite cats on the forum-Depends on the show, if it's a bday party, sometimes I spend the first couple minutes trying to find bday kid, as well as shaking wrong kids hands, etc. Love the topper wand big time to start out as well.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I attended a Daryl lecture last week, and he did a fabulous new version of the old toilet paper balls trick. I have now rearranged my whole show so I can start with this comedy killer. If you want to know more about this fabulous trick all you gotta do is hire me. LOL
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2120 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
For the 3-7 crowd, I always open with 'discovering the audience' : I come out and start straighting out my props with my back to the kids. Sooner or later (INVARIABLY SOONER) one of the kids will say something, and I stop and look around, wonder aloud "what was that?" and then go back to work. AS you may imagine, that's ALL the encouragement the kids need! They start saying "HEY!" and "OVER HERE!" And I react to all of it by looing for the source of the sound under my table, in my hat, behind the curtain...everywhere but behind me, and with comments like "I must be hearing things", or "are there ghosts in here??" Finally I slowly turn around, give a frightened yelp at seeing the kids, and ask them why theyre here, someone or several say "to see a magic show" or "to see a show" and I say "Oh great I LOVE magic shows!" And I try to take a seat for it with the comedy chair. Eventually the kids manage to straighten me out on who's supposed to be WATCHING the show, and who's supposed to be PERFORMING it.

With a tip of the hat to Kyle, I'll admit there are no actual tricks involved here, just a routine which establishes me as funny & friendly. After this I do off-the-meter, and then the first actual effect is the miser's dream.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
The Great Zucchini
View Profile
Inner circle
1347 Posts

Profile of The Great Zucchini
Quote:
Love this, fantastic
On 2013-05-26 15:01, The Mighty Fool wrote:
For the 3-7 crowd, I always open with 'discovering the audience' : I come out and start straighting out my props with my back to the kids. Sooner or later (INVARIABLY SOONER) one of the kids will say something, and I stop and look around, wonder aloud "what was that?" and then go back to work. AS you may imagine, that's ALL the encouragement the kids need! They start saying "HEY!" and "OVER HERE!" And I react to all of it by looing for the source of the sound under my table, in my hat, behind the curtain...everywhere but behind me, and with comments like "I must be hearing things", or "are there ghosts in here??" Finally I slowly turn around, give a frightened yelp at seeing the kids, and ask them why theyre here, someone or several say "to see a magic show" or "to see a show" and I say "Oh great I LOVE magic shows!" And I try to take a seat for it with the comedy chair. Eventually the kids manage to straighten me out on who's supposed to be WATCHING the show, and who's supposed to be PERFORMING it.

With a tip of the hat to Kyle, I'll admit there are no actual tricks involved here, just a routine which establishes me as funny & friendly. After this I do off-the-meter, and then the first actual effect is the miser's dream.
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
Only 99% of users have more than
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
Quote:
On 2010-02-07 17:25, Scott O. wrote:

...sets you up to be more clown than magician...

:)
Click for Free Resources for Performers

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2120 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Granted I would NEVER use that opening for a crowd of ages 8-12. And thanks for the compliment Zuke...it's an honor!
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I have a I.5 minute warm-up piece if music
Yes it's used for secretly putting the birds where they belong but the purpose, as the audience sees it, is to banter very specially about the appearance and behavior of that audience. Then the real music starts and birds are appearing and vanishing.

The purpose of the initial banter is to let them know that I'm going toninteract AND if they think they can just talk at any time , there will be a response.
So to recap: A short warm-up helps to condition them to my existence and that we will have fun but there are limits.

That goes for the adults too. Maybe I should write that it especially includes adults.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Favorite kids show opener (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL