The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Magic Café Tech Help Area » » Search question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14072 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I don't understand why often when I do a search, it says "You can not run a search so soon after your last search."

Problem is, sometimes it has been several HOURS since my last search! (And it still tells me it is too soon.)

Can you clarify this for me?

Thanks!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4893 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Doug, the wait time between searches is only 2 minutes. This has been discussed many times before. This is the first time a complaint of HOURS has been reported.

Are you clicking on your own name to see your posts? That is the same as a search.
Where the magic begins
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14072 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Actually, between times (searches) I was away from the Café for a few hours visiting other sites.

I had not done any activity on the Café during those hours. Yet, when I finally came back, the very first thing I attempted was a search for a product. (No searches with my name for my posts.) It immediately gave me the notice that not enough time had elapsed. Yet, it had been hours. I then tried refreshing the page, but still no dice until the next day. At that time everything seemed to be back to normal.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4893 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Let us know if you see the wait time exceeding a few minutes again. Hopefully you situation was a one time thing.
Where the magic begins
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14072 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
O.K. Will do!
mindshrink
View Profile
Special user
Delhi,India
916 Posts

Profile of mindshrink
I have been facing two problems:
1)The search engine directs me to something totally different.Like I wanted a follow up on my own topics which I had posted...i was directed to mnay other pages.
After some time(more that 5-6 minutes(as that is the time taken to watch a youtube video on candle levitataion) and when I repeated the search I recieved a reply (You cannot .....)
2) Same as above
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4893 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
When you searched your own posts, what criteria did you type in and did you type your name in the search user name area or key word?
Where the magic begins
mindshrink
View Profile
Special user
Delhi,India
916 Posts

Profile of mindshrink
I tried both....but same problem
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4893 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
If you type mindshrink into the keyword section, you will see every post that has your name in it. In other words, if someone responded to a post you made and said something like "mindshrink, I disagree with your statement", you will get that post in your search.

If you enter your username in the search by username section, you will only see posts made by you. To see your post, click on the "view this post", to see the entire thread, click on "view entire topic"
Where the magic begins
mindshrink
View Profile
Special user
Delhi,India
916 Posts

Profile of mindshrink
I have done this again...it does not work.I wanted to find an old topic of mine on <deck changes>
I typed <mindshrink> in user name.
Ticked <topics>
Searched...but came up with lots of topics...none were by me and none had <mindshrink> in them.
When I try again.....it says you cannot search.....
What do I do?
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4893 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Mindshrink, I don't believe you understand how the search engine works. If you type you name in user name, you get every post you have made. If you type your name and click topics only, you will get no results as there are no topics titled Mindshrink.

There are also no topics with a title of deck changes. You need to narrow your search parameters down a bit and type in a topic title or portion of one. If you just type in deck changes, you'll get every post that mentions deck or changes unless you click on exact phrase. Then you get posts that have the words deck changes in them.

And yes, after you do a search, you must wait 2 minutes before trying another one. This has been discussed many times before.
Where the magic begins
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14072 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2010-02-07 11:30, Dave Scribner wrote:
Let us know if you see the wait time exceeding a few minutes again. Hopefully you situation was a one time thing.

It's back. I left the house for several hours today. Came back home, got on my PC, came to the Café, tried to do a search, and it immediately told me I can't run a search so soon after the last search. I don't understand. A few hours should be more than sufficient for it to re-set.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14072 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Update. It is working fine again, now.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4893 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I haven't got a clue what's going on Doug. There's no way it should take hours to reset. The time frame is 2 minutes.
Where the magic begins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Magic Café Tech Help Area » » Search question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL