The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » (more) about me (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

newtomagic
View Profile
New user
Merion, Pa
78 Posts

Profile of newtomagic
I am a 26 year old whom just graduated from college a month and a half ago. I am currently substitite teaching, and getting work everyday of the week. Being a sub is really nice because I do not need to write lesson plans which is very time consuming. With this extra time I am able to practice and study magic.

I finished reading Jay Sankey's "Beyond Secrets" 2 days ago and I think Jay has some very interesting insights. However, at this point in my life I feel you do have to take everything with a grain of salt. People need to ultimetly make their own decisions and judgements of everything they incounter. Don't get me wrong, reading whats on a magician/entertainers mind like Sankey is a pleassure.

Seeing as teachers get the summers off I would love to fill those summer nights with performing magic. In fact, I would love to be a paid magician. I would like to do bar/bat mitzvas, birthdays, gatherings and restaurant and bars where I can let my "silly" side out.

I have in the recent past gone out to bars and randomly performed, usually egged on by friends whom know I do magic and like when I perform for stragers.

Long story short, I would very much like to perform magic reguarly and natuarally get paid to do so.

I said that I graduated college recently and I am living at "home" with mom, etc... I am in fact practicing some new stuff now. But, what do you think (advice do you have?) about this?

There are 3 local bars within walking distance of my house, one in which I would frequent years ago before I moved to live at college. I think it would be very neat to perform at this/these bars. I want to go in offer a "magic night/nights in which I could do my walk around/close up magic.

Should I go in and tell the owners (whom I know from before) that I do magic now and want to do it at their bar??

HOW DO I MAKE MY MAGIC HAPPEN??...you know in terms of me performing which I enjoy greatly.

I am nervous before I start but once I get going I get going

Would love/need advice!

-Ari
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
Ari, having promoted many show's, of various types, at bars the only advice I can offer is, the bar owner will book this sort of thing on an off night than in prime time like a Friday or Sat. Here what I would do get some of your magic buddies
together and offer to due a show with the door proceeds going to a local charity. Charge a small cover. The key is to get as many people to the show as you can. This will, if done well, get you invited back to do another show in the future.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
First thing I would suggest is to learn some 'parlor' magic along with the close up.
Better for larger groups and offers more possible venues like company picnics.

Don't overlook the lunch crowds at the local taverns.

You should find some useful tips in "Tricky business" in the 'Special Interests' section.

There's also an article here that you want to look at:
http://magicgizmo.com/home/Business-Side......ips.html
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » (more) about me (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL