The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » When to put the female in? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
This may sound like a weird question but here we go.

I originally purchased a pair of doves (around a year ago). The first egg that I allowed them to keep turned out to be male. The original male and the young one really started fighting so I got a new cage for the younger one.

The pair recently (beginning of december) hatched another one which appears to be a female. I was wondering how old she should be until I put her in the cage with her brother.
Also is there any steps that should be taken during the introduction?

Thanks
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5016 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Ryan, you have to wait until she is eating and surviving on her own before removing her from the parents. A word of caution. If you put her in the cage with her brother, there is a possibility they will mate. This can be a problem just like humans mating with family members.
Where the magic begins
Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
I assumed they would mate, however I will not be keeping the offspring as ideally they would both be workers. Would there be an issue with this.

She can fend for herself, however she isn't as strong of a flyer as her folks are. does she sound ready?
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5016 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
If you mean by not keeping the offspring you are going to throw the eggs, if any, away. In that case, there would be no problem. It's just if you let the eggs hatch that there could be genetic problems.

If she is totalling on her own and not looking for rearing by the parents any more, then you can start working with her. At first, you have to go slow as she will not be as strong as the parents and will get out of breath easily. As time goes on, she'll get stronger.

I personally never try to work on the fly back until the dove is strong and can work for longer periods of time without getting tired. The fly back takes a lot of energy on the part of the dove. I work with small feats like jumping from hand to hand, or doing the finger walk. This excercises the wings and builds strength.
Where the magic begins
Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
Thanks dave, yes I would be throwing away the eggs if she goes into the cage with her brother. I haven't really worked with her, just getting her use to being in the hands. One possible option is to move the parents into the smaller cage and move the male into the bigger cage. Then any future offspring from the parents would then be moved into the larger cage as well.

The larger cage is a fairly large parrot cage and the smaller is a small parrot cage. Any thoughts on this would also be appreciated.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » When to put the female in? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL