The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Seeing is believing » » Optical illusions for shows? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jwscott
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of jwscott
Love the expanding head optical illusion-- works itself, packs flat, always wows the crowd and keeps them talking after the show.
What other optical illusions can anyone recommend like this? Looking for a wow factor that is easy to do or use on stage in small and medium size audiences.
Is anyone doing an optical illusion show for schools? thanks for any suggestions you might be able to share.
Hmmmmm
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Hmmmmm
Here is a pdf blueprint for the Jerry Andrus "Paradox Box" illusion. Try to print it out large, and color it on photoshop.
http://homeschoolvideos.com/downloads/il......dout.pdf

I hope it works for you.
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
I'm also interested in showig Andrus illusions or similar things, but I don't kow how well they would be recieved or how to present them, etc. I also would like to get more patterns - do you guys know where to get Andrus patterns?
Also, I have the growing head illusion, but I've shown it to my 6 year old and my wife and it doesn't work on them, any tips? How fast do you spin it? Do you have it attached to a drill? Thanks
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
If the Growing Head Illusion doesn't work there are at least three likely culprits

1) Audience is too close. The farther away they are the better it works. A living room is usually too small.

2) Speed of the spin. Don't spin it too fast. they have to see the spiraling clearly. I use a cordless drill which works well but I have been told that it should acrually go a little slower. I agree because I get better results when my battery is getting low.

3) Getting them to focus on the spiral for the right amount of time. Go to utube and watch the presentation. You should talk for about 20 seconds and then count to 10 so that the audience is focusing for about 30 seconds.

Some people just don't follow directions. When I watch the audience I always see one or two people looking at my face while I am telling them to look at the spiral. I look right at them and tell them to look at the spiral and they do but a moment later they are watching my face again. Other people watch the spiral but then only look at my face for a moment and then declare that they didn't see anything. I have to repeat and tell them to STARE at my face.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Ive used it for years and some will never see it. Just go with the ones that do and play it up. I know I posted this before but if someone knows where I can get a more sturdy plastic one made, please advise. Thanks.

Decomp
Rex
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Rex
Quote:
On 2011-02-10 11:31, Decomposed wrote:
Ive used it for years and some will never see it. Just go with the ones that do and play it up. I know I posted this before but if someone knows where I can get a more sturdy plastic one made, please advise. Thanks.

Decomp

Decomp,
I have made sturdy ones out of aluminum that spin on bicycle hubs. I had them printed onto the metal at a sign making shop. One is 18 inches in diameter, the other is 24 inches. I would consider selling, but I don't know how long it will be before I can get a few more made.
204rags
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of 204rags
For a school assembly show called "Seeing is Deceiving" I had large banners about 6 feet square covering two prop trunks and sound equipment on each side of the mike and table in the center. On these banners were optical illusions drawn and painted large so there could be seen fomr the rear seated children. Reference was made to each of them during the show.
204rags
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of 204rags
I probably should have said that one of the optical illusions I had drawn and painted in color on one banner was the "rabbit/duck" optical illusion. The other banner had the optical illusion which figure is taller with two figures the sanme on expanding parellel lines.
Xpilot
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
464 Posts

Profile of Xpilot
Quote:
On 2011-02-10 11:31, Decomposed wrote:

If you're still looking for one in plastic:

http://www.tophatprod.com/store/product.......ler=YOld thread
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Seeing is believing » » Optical illusions for shows? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL