The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Magic Café Tech Help Area » » Technical problem with Magic Caf� (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bato William
View Profile
Regular user
All I've managed to write is
160 Posts

Profile of Bato William
To Whom It May Concern:

I get a tiny box display with the letters FFFD instead of certain missing symbols, such as apostrophes and the like, on my screen when I'm in 'The Magic Caf�' website.

For instance, the last e in Café, which should have an accent over it, is replaced with the aforementioned tiny box.

Do I need to download a patch to correct this?

Bato William
You're nothing but a pack of cards! - Lewis Carroll (Charles Lutwidge Dodgson)
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
I get this when I use Firefox, but not IE.
~Joe
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
This has absolutely nothing to do with the Magic Café, and everything to do with the way you've got Text Encoding on your browser set up.

If it worked properly before, then you likely did some sort of update or patch which changed your character encoding. If you've got your browser set on "check for updates automatically", then when the software updated itself it also re-set the character encoding (which is a good reason to not have software auto-update itself).

Go to your "View" menu and find either "Character Encoding" or "Text Encoding".
In some browsers there's an "Auto-Detect" option in the Text Encoding menu, try that and see if it works.
If your browser doesn't have an "Auto-Detect" option, you will need to try a setting different than the one that your currently using (which we already know doesn't work).

(typically, in the older version of Firefox that I run for example, you'd use the path: View->Character Encoding->Auto-Detect->Universal

Common settings that tend to work all the time are Unicode and Western.

Note that in some browsers there is a bug which prevents the text-encoding menu change from taking effect until the browser application is re-started, so you'll need to re-start.

There's also a bug in some versions of popular browsers that prevents the change to text encoding from taking effect until the browsers preferences file is trashed. In this case you'd trash the preference file, re-boot the application, and then set the text encoding under the "View" menu.
You'd then re-start the browser application.

You may check and see that you're already set on "Western" or "Unicode" as noted above, and due to a corrupted preferences file in your browser, you're getting gobbledy gook text........in this case you'd have to trash your preferences file as well.

How characters read on your computer screen has nothing at all to do with the web site you're visiting, it's all 100% based on the text encoding settings you have set (or the browser has thoughtfully re-set for you).
This is the basic principle behind the concept of a (for example) Japanese web site being able to display all the appropriate text in Japanese using the identical browser you use.......in their case they'd be setting their browser text encoding to one of the three or four Japanese settings you'll see when you look in your View/Text/Character Encoding Menu.

Hope this helps.
Bato William
View Profile
Regular user
All I've managed to write is
160 Posts

Profile of Bato William
Thank you, Silverking.
You're nothing but a pack of cards! - Lewis Carroll (Charles Lutwidge Dodgson)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Magic Café Tech Help Area » » Technical problem with Magic Caf� (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL