The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Never rush.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Never rush from one presentation to the next. Give the audience time to experience what they have just perceived as 'other'.

Best,
Brad Burt
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3629 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Good advice Brad. Also, never rush the presentation itself. I have to constantly remind myself to slow down.

Jim
BenSimon
View Profile
Regular user
Munich, Germany
137 Posts

Profile of BenSimon
Despite of being a beginner I can only agree. Insecurity about the impact of the current effect often led me to rush into the next. I wasn't sure whether I had somehow failed, flashed, or bored the spectators, and tríed to cover up with the next effect, while often they only were in the process of registering what they'd just witnessed, which I misinterpreted as a reaction not being present. (Sometimes I did fail, though Smile) I force myself to wait a while and actually look for reactions instead of anticipating them. Rehearsal and confidence helps. Always good advice, thanks.
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
That’s one of the hardest things to learn in any presentation, especially Magic. Throughout your performance, you are building a kind of tension, whether drama, boredom, suspense, or whatever, and (hopefully) building toward a climax. Once you have arrived at the moment, your audience is actually looking for a release. It is you who will allow (or not allow in certain specific cases) them to relax into applause.

And sometimes (if your ending isn’t especially strong) you may have to cue them to applaud. You can do this with a verbal “Thank You” or “TADAH!” (if you’re doing comedy), it can be a well formed stage bow, or a “Star” pose with your hands and arms straight out to your sides.

An almost overworked method that many professionals use is “Let’s have a big hand for our volunteers”.

Slow it down, and give them time to digest one course before serving the next.

Thanks, Brad
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
That's what difference many "magicians" from Cooperfield, Burton or McBride! The transition, the slow paced but on time transition from one effect or routine to next one.
The build up to the experience is like many sensations we have in regular life... not to fast, not to slow but both of us ( Magician & Audience ) at the same time.
Best,
Hansel!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Thank you all for the comments. I 'almost' included another quote about 'pacing', but rejected it....was trying to put something out there that was simple, but not simplistic.

The other side of the coin as pointed out above is the 'pace' at which we perform our routine or act itself. Nervous energy at the outset will very often cause an acceleration of our performance to the detriment thereof.

I used to rehearse my show deliberately SLOW..... Slower than I actually perform on the theory that I would do my show at my more normal speed. For the most part it worked.

I can't recommend enough though taking the time between effects or routines to take a short bow, acknowledge the audience, etc. Let THEM react fully to what you have done and thereby enjoy it along with you. Experience and OBSERVATION and ACCEPTANCE of what the audience is TELLING you by their reaction will give you all the information you need to move smoothly onto the next part of your show.

Don't PUSH them along.....TAKE them along with you. Best,
Brad Burt
bicycle66
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of bicycle66
I have heard this from many of my friends as well as on many DVD's Malone, Ortiz they are always saying to just pause a few beats and let the magic sink in, let the brain realize what just happened....to many times I find myself jumping to the next effect not giving the one before enough time. I guess I'm always thinking that there is a fine line between enough time and too much time....
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Try this out for size. Ask yourself this question: WHY do I 'feel' that I 'have' to rush to the next presentation???? This in my opinion is the crux of the matter.

My answer for myself was this: I was NOT confident that the magic routine I had just performed was good enough to allow folks to become fully cognizant of the effect. Fear.

Rushing from one routine to the next is caused by a fear that the material will not stand on IT'S OWN!!! So we try to GANG UP material hoping internally that QUANTITY will make up for what we perceive as the lack of QUALITY.

That's often just not the case. Many times the material is better than what WE perceive! TRUST it! Trust what you have worked on.

Think it over. Do you trust the material you are doing? Then give it a chance. LET folks react. Let it sink in. Watch the audience and you'll move on at the correct time. THE AUDIENCE WILL ..... TELL ..... YOU ...... WHEN IT'S TIME TO MOVE ON TO THE NEXT ROUTINE. Experience will tune up your ability to perceive what the audience is telling you.

WATCH the audience. Listen to the Audience. Learn from the audience. Place ego aside and make changes based as much on the reality of what your audience is telling YOU about what YOU are doing. If you do so you can not help, but become a better performer. Best,
Brad Burt
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
While I am no expert, I have seen magicians who perform slowly and totally blow people away with what they do.

Just saw the memorial video on Reel Magic of Cellini doing a very slow linking rings routine and it was fabulous. Other magicians over the years have done the same thing and had me stunned, wondering how they did it.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
pradell
View Profile
Special user
Alaska
559 Posts

Profile of pradell
It's the space between the notes, the uncolored portion of the painting, the pauses in our sentences, and the moments of silence between the fireworks in our magical performances that define the true artists.

A conductor of a symphony uses the tools at his or her fingertips: Fortissimo, pianissimo, crescendo, lento, allegro, etc. i.e., loud and soft, building up, bringing it down, fast and slow . . .to lead your audience to feel the emotions, to relax and breathe before heading to the next climax in the routine.

As the Doric saying carved on the front of the temple at Delphi states, "Nothing in Excess". So there is a time to be slow. And a time to speed up.

:magicrabbit:
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Never rush.... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL