The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Fellowship of Christian Magicians! » » Mark Wilson Lecturing at the Los Angeles Chapter (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rdwat92284
View Profile
New user
Rob Watkins
12 Posts

Profile of rdwat92284
On March 29, 2010, one of the foremost experts on the subject of magic is scheduled to lecture at the 7:30 pm meeting of the Los Angeles Chapter of the Fellowship of Christian Magicians. The lecture is scheduled to take place at the Hollywood Magic Castle and should prove to be a very memorable event.
Kif Anderson
View Profile
FCM forum Staff
1961 - 2012
386 Posts

Profile of Kif Anderson
Well...the lecture mentioned above took place last night with Mark Wilson and his wife Nani Darnell. She was delightful and ran his product table...as well as corrected him from the sidelines when he said something wrong. Mark...starting to show the signs of age (he's 80 or at least will be next month at some point) but his talk was incredible for a man of his age. He took advantage of video to help teach things...one was a scotch and soda effect with a sugar packet and a Sweet & Low package. A pre set up gimmick for a restaurant trick...that starts by taking two packets, they change places, and one is left with the packets to return to the sugar container. Easy bit of magic that starts and ends clean. He also demonstrated live the torn and restored paper napkin effect...with perfect misdirection. Neither was WOW magic for the magicians in attendance, but his point was magic makes on special...and by doing a trick or two for folks, like the folks at the reception desk at a doctors office, the waiters or waitress at your favorite restaurant and the service you receive is "star quality." I thought that was an interesting perspective. Now we sift through the rest of the information they shared and an article about the evening will eventually be in "The Voice of FCM."

Interesting note...his first national magic television show began October 1, 1960 and so this is its golden anniversary. He made an interesting comment about selling the show to folks who said, "Magic won't work on television, they will think it is trick photography." So he assured them he would tell people that at no time would they cut away from the tricks and would tell folks it was not done with trick photography...then added the side note..."not like that fellow in Las Vegas."

It was a wonderful evening...they both were quite charming. Mark also played a clip of showing Nani in various illusion in the past. It was a wonderful tribute to the lady who has been is loving wife for 57 years.

And no, they are not Christians, but the gospel is always shared at the LAFCM meetings...so we hope seed got planted.
We are not cisterns made for hoarding, we are channels made for sharing. - Billy Graham
<BR>
<BR>Sharing the gospel with Comedy & Illusion www.ozandwilde.com
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2875 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
When I was a kid, I convinced my Dad to drive me all the way to the other side of the State to the Michigan State Fair in Detroit- to see Mark Wilson appearing there. Great stuff- if I remember correctly there was some kind of corporate hand out which I clutched for the rest of the day. Huge outdoor stage in front of at least a thousand people- first class magic show and totally was spellbinding to me... The Magic Land of Alakazam!
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Mark and Nani Wilson have brought joy to SO many. While they may not be Christian in name, we know from the Gospel of St. Luke that the Kingdom of God is within all of us.

Eastern Christianity states that while we KNOW where the Church (the body of believers in Christ) IS, we do not know where it ISN'T. Only God knows their hearts and only God can judge. We can pray which is of course a VERY good thing Smile

+In Christ,
Vlad
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
KIf,

Mark was the first one to spark my interest in magic. I was a little boy five years old sitting in front of the three channel black and white TV set with rabbit ears, (The TV, not me!) watching the Magical land Of Alakazam, amazed and starry eyed!

I took a handkerchief and put it in my metal school lunch box and said the magic words like Mark, and when I opened it, lo and behold,. it was still there!

I cried!

Just could not understand why it would not work for me.

I admired him so much I later changed my middle name to Mark in honor of him.

long live Mark and Nani! (and Rebo!)
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Fellowship of Christian Magicians! » » Mark Wilson Lecturing at the Los Angeles Chapter (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL