The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Clones... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
As I do many other street performers, I look up to James, James & Charlie Caper last year Todd was helping me inprove my whip cracking. Pop the Ballon man even thoe he is a Ballon twister (One of the best that I know, may I add ) He is able to give addvice from his broad experiance. When ever I bump into these guys we just kick of and have a ball.

It should be a natural elermant of the streets where we encorege each other. I remember asking Pop and James to give me feed back on my show. Visa versa, great part of street life.

The streets belong to anyone, as Chris Capheart said, No one invited you any way.

So if the streets belong to every one. Then we can seek inspiration any where and from any one. About 10yr ago I remeber this guy promting RAC for years in Cardiff. He siad to me I loved your routine with Rocky the Raccon, you use to ballance a pole on your chin, with a tray on top which had rocky sitting on top, while playing that tune on a Kazzo, he asked why don't you do it no more. Well another busker (a bitter mine artist) he told me he thought it was crap routine and shatered my conferdance doing so. Well I disagree this he guy said I thought I was the funniest part of the show. So who do you listen to a bitter performer or the RAC man who repersents the public. I put Rocky in the show again. Not only that I remeber asking Noel Britan if I can use one of his one linners in referance to Rocky. He agreed I can use it, partly because my Routeen with rocky was diffrent so the joke puched with a diffrent outcome.

Mario
PS If you are ever in Bath UK, go on Noel Britian's walking comedy tour it is called Bizzare Bath. It is the funniest comedy tour I have ever been on, Briiliant.
Walking street thearter and it has been running for 19yrs, genius.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2010-02-14 14:17, Mario Morris wrote:About 10yr ago I remeber this guy promting RAC for years in Cardiff. He siad to me I loved your routine with Rocky the Raccon, you use to ballance a pole on your chin, with a tray on top which had rocky sitting on top, while playing that tune on a Kazzo, he asked why don't you do it no more. Well another busker (a bitter mine artist) he told me he thought it was crap routine and shatered my conferdance doing so. Well I disagree this he guy said I thought I was the funniest part of the show. So who do you listen to a bitter performer or the RAC man who repersents the public. I put Rocky in the show again.

This sort of confidence shattering situation has happened to me on a few occasions. I don't know how or why is happens, but it does. I can get mocked or heckled or ignored dozens of times --but one well placed word, occasionally, can cause me to pack it up and go home.

It's a strange component of my personality, but there it is...
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Sir Richard
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of Sir Richard
Quote:
On 2010-02-14 14:33, gaddy wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-02-14 14:17, Mario Morris wrote:About 10yr ago I remeber this guy promting RAC for years in Cardiff. He siad to me I loved your routine with Rocky the Raccon, you use to ballance a pole on your chin, with a tray on top which had rocky sitting on top, while playing that tune on a Kazzo, he asked why don't you do it no more. Well another busker (a bitter mine artist) he told me he thought it was crap routine and shatered my conferdance doing so. Well I disagree this he guy said I thought I was the funniest part of the show. So who do you listen to a bitter performer or the RAC man who repersents the public. I put Rocky in the show again.

This sort of confidence shattering situation has happened to me on a few occasions. I don't know how or why is happens, but it does. I can get mocked or heckled or ignored dozens of times --but one well placed word, occasionally, can cause me to pack it up and go home.

It's a strange component of my personality, but there it is...

I listen to my audience; I watch my audience; their reactions tell me more than a "competitor." Mario, I'd love to see your "Rocky" bit!

Sir Richard.
"In the land of Murphy there is but ONE law!"
Pizpor
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of Pizpor
Maybe it would be more helpful if the conversation turned from "how much borrowing from someone else's act is ok so I'm not considered a thief or a clone," to "how to create original material that's you." Isn't striving to be original is what sets you apart from the other acts?

Or maybe not. I dunno. Just thinking.
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1424 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
Pizpor, that was the point all along. The goal is to ultimately be entirely yourself, but it helps to start somewhere. Mario brought up a good point about becoming original by drawing influences from areas outside of magic, naturally his influences where comedians instead of mimes for example.

I think the idea of influences outside of magic happens to be lost on many magicians today, myself included. I've never really taken inventory of who my favorite comedians are and what type of humor I enjoy most, I think that would be an important step to any performer trying to find their own style. Not that everyone should be influenced by comedians, silent acts for example would do better to study mimes or even dancers.
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Quote:
On 2010-02-13 09:42, JoeJoe wrote:
Haven't we beaten this horse to death already??

-JoeJoe

Yes.
I was the horse.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Robert,
Glad to see you're still in the race.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
vernon
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
559 Posts

Profile of vernon
Ha ha Robert...funeeeeeeeee...and Mario, I remember the year well...I remember free spots coming up sometimes two at a time and me looking at Charlie, or Charlie looking at Todd or Todd looking at you and working it all out in a nano second...one would take the spot and the others would wait...and guess what another spot would come up...it was a great year. ZVery fond memories indeed...I think I still have the footage of your indoor show...

JJ
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Clones... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL