The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Need disposable lighter for Jos Bema effect (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
I've got a cigarette lighter effect I made from a set of Jos Bema (Tommy Wonder) lecture notes I've had for years, but it's finally fallen apart, and I want to make a new one (or two or three). I originally used a "Super Cricket" lighter, but apparently these haven't been made in ages, with the "Cricket" name long since sold to another company.

What I'm looking for is a plastic disposable lighter with a wide body that's more rectangular (squared at the corners) than rounded. The Super Crickets are roughly 1.25" wide, 3/8" deep, and 3" tall. The height really doesn't matter much, but should be at least 2".

So far, aside from finding one on E-bay http://tinyurl.com/yc483aj , I've found the "Djeep" brand "wide body" lighter, but I haven't yet found their dimensions, and the edges are router than I'd prefer: http://www.djeep.com

Any suggestions?

On a separate note, while searching for a suitable replacement, I ran across this lighter which could have some interesting magic applications:
http://www.bewild.com/stliwisehico.html
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
If this is for the lighter to matches gimmick, I'd imagine most of the cheap disposalble butane lighters out there would work. Most are probably less than an inch wide, but are not round, and should work to make the gimmick.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Less than an inch wide might be a problem for this application. PM sent with explanation.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I just sent for the stash lighter.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On 2010-02-15 14:51, Pete Biro wrote:
I just sent for the stash lighter.

Can you (pretty please) update us on your results?
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
I just wanted to give a public thanks to Michael Baker who's been quite helpful through an exchange of PMs.

I found the Djeep lighters locally and think I can make them work.
Paul.W
View Profile
Veteran user
338 Posts

Profile of Paul.W
Tommy Wonder is my Hero.
Great effect that I use all the time
Paul>W
From Israel
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The trick of a lighter to matches is still available at James Rainho's Simplex Magic site. Here
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Thanks for the link.
The Djeepp lighters have worked out fairly well, though I had to make a larger matchbox out of two standard Diamond ones.
I found some larger matchboxes Yesterday at an "outdoors" store that may make things simpler next time.
tpax
View Profile
Elite user
Columbia, Maryland
443 Posts

Profile of tpax
Where did you get the larger match boxes?
Eldini
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas
127 Posts

Profile of Eldini
Hey all,

Reviving this old thread as I'm trying to make this amazing prop. Does anyone know of a good lighter-matchbox combination that works? The match boxes I can find are too thin (Or the Bic lighters too thick).

I see the post above suggesting to make a thicker box from two standard. That's a great idea too, but a matchbox that is thicker to begin with might be more durable in the long run.

Thank you!

Eldini
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
You don't need to make a thicker box, just glue in a piece of cardboard next to the lighter to fill out the width. They still have flat cheap lighters that will fit in the narrow match boxes. Just remove the fuel, and keep the flint so it sparks. The lighter should stick up a little beyond the box, so you index finger can hold the lighter so you can strike the flint.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Need disposable lighter for Jos Bema effect (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL