The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Interesting Discovery (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

AEdwards
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
106 Posts

Profile of AEdwards
Since I stopped performing full time as some of you who actually can testify too. I decided a few years ago to answer my calling in law enforcement. Well me and the squad were bored the other day and I had 1 of the guys clock my muscle pass on radar. What we figured was 131 mph out of the palm of my hand at its fastest and 91 mph at its slowest. I just thought that would make an interesting post.
http://www.antonedwards.net

Shattering Reality
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Did you write yourself a ticket?

You could probably beat that in court if you wrap the coin in aluminum foil.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1062 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
"but officer, my coin wasn't going over 65, the silver must have messed up the radar"

I love it!
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I don’t do the Muscle pass (and yes, you can probably also read that as "can't do the Muscle pass!), but that seems awfully fast to me. Especially the 91 mph as its slowest point.

131 mph = 192 feet per second (fps), while 91 mph = 133.5 fps. Nothing like the muzzle velocity of a firearm but I would think that coins moving at speeds like that would cause some pain to the catching hand of a Muscle pass!

Makes me wonder if I was really speeding when that radar gun was aimed at me... Smile

Jim
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
I'll claim the record on the other end. In a sleight called "Snatch" one hand leaved the coin hanging in mid-air to be picked up by the other hand in a body swing. Speed 0 mph. Inattention of Vision and Directed Attention insure that the coin is never seen, even though completely visible to a camera.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I was thinking 131 mph was a pretty fast speed, even 91. At those speed you could probably muscle pass yards not inches.

Tom
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3349 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
I do not doubt the speed. It does seem impossible as even up close standing next to people doing this pass and doing it well, it would appear to me that at a speed of 91 mph I should not clearly see the coin jump to the other hand only 12-18 inches away,yet I see it. Is it that these people doing it are no where near 91mph? Just asking,not doubting.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
It could be extremely fast - and probably is - at the moment it leaves the palm. But then I would expect it to slow down tremendously as it rises due to gravity and the fact that the initial force propelling it isn't quite that great. Let's face it, how much force can we deliver by just squeezing our thumb muscle in toward the center of the hand?

Jim
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
131 miles/hour = 192.1333 feet per second.
Wes
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Radar gun needs to be re-calibrated............no wonder folks complain about speeding tickets! Smile

My muscle palm has been clocked at the speed of light- real magic. Smile
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On 2010-02-14 18:26, Wes65 wrote:
131 miles/hour = 192.1333 feet per second.

I had that plus the 91 mph above. Smile

Jim
jhereg
View Profile
Regular user
Petaluma California
121 Posts

Profile of jhereg
My guess is the spinning of the coin confused the results.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
A little physics calculation would reveal that an object going even 91 mph would travel for a very long distance up in the air (imagine if you could throw a ball straight up in the air at 91mph). I haven't done the calculation, but could, but I would imagine it would be 100's of feet.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
I would think that a person would need a catcher's mitt to cushion the catch of a coin travelling 131 mph.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Not really. Plus that would only be the velocity immediately after launching. It would then slow down quite a bit - not very aerodynamic!

That said, I too believe these speeds are high.

Jim
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
With heavy sterling silver coins the speed would have probably been within speed limit so let's keep our precious coin for our magic so that they don't get flashed speeding or flashed in any way.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Interesting Discovery (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL