The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Polishing/cleaning Blue Gun Cups? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
I don't know if I have the name of the metal right, but thought it was like Blue Gun Steel, or something like that. RNT2 made a couple of sets in this metal, and I have a Sisti set.

One set has tarnish or rust on it, not sure... wondering if I can use like Brasso or something like that to clean them.

Suggestions?

RevJohn
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24252 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
These are steel cups, basically without any sealing. There is a special oil you can get from gun shops called "RustePrufe." This comes in a 2 oz. bottle and will remove surface rust and seal the metal. It is especially good for removing the rust that occurs on firearms due to perspiration.

The first impulse would be to use a rust remover, such as Naval Jelly, but DON'T DO IT!!!!! Naval Jelly turns the rust to a bluish form of iron oxide, and it is as ugly as sin once that happens.

Once you have removed the rust, you can either give the cups a light rubbing with RustePrufe or you can remove the RustePrufe and seal them with Renaissance Wax. I don't think the Renaissance Wax will go on over the RustePrufe.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
padre rich
View Profile
Special user
521 Posts

Profile of padre rich
FLITZ!
God's grace rocks! It makes a good cups and balls routine look pretty boring in comparison.
padre rich
View Profile
Special user
521 Posts

Profile of padre rich
FLITZ AFTER RUST IS REMOVED -PM ME FOR SOME TIPS HOW TO DO THAT WITH MINIMAL TOOLS AND EFFORT.
God's grace rocks! It makes a good cups and balls routine look pretty boring in comparison.
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Bill, thanks for the information. I will look for the the RustePrufe.

And Padre, I will PM ya for some more info.

RevJohn
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24252 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If the rusting is light and has not begun to crust, RustePrufe will generally remove it with a simple wipe-on, wipe-off.

Flitz may change the way the surface looks. It depends on how much elbow grease you put into it. But it will also seal the surface. RustePrufe is a penetrating oil.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
It is very light... so RustePrufe sounds like it might be the way to go.

John
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
I contacted the makers of Rusteprufe, and there are no stores that carry it in my area. They can ship it to me, and shipping is the cost of the product itself.

Will still probably go that route! Or see when I visit Portland if I can find it there.

John
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1122 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
John,
You must have a gun shop or little sporting goods store near you. You're in Blackfoot, Idaho! Visit them and ask them what they have that they recommend. Bring the cups if you like, I'm sure they will be more than glad to help you.
You might even want to re-blue the cups and they can help you with that.
Learn the form, but seek the formless. Learn it all, then forget it all. Learn the way, then find your own way. Rings-N-Things
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Oh, we do... C.A.L. Ranch store is the place to go for supplies.

What would be the alternative to RustePrufe? They had plenty of cleaning solutions. They had stuff for re-bluing.

I will bring in the cups(only one of them has this rust on it).

So what is the re-bluing? I collect cups but have no experience in the gun/rifle/metal area....

John
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24252 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Some of these cups were not actually blued, per se. The metal has a bluish tint.

Bluing is a method of coating a piece of iron or steel with blue or black ferric oxide. Browning is a method of coating a piece of iron or steel with normal rust, but in a controlled manner. The idea of both of these processes is to keep the piece from rusting any further.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Bill,

Would you recommend ordering the RustePrufe, and going that route?

I am opening to trying different things, but would like to try what seems to be the best option first.

John
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24252 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I've used RustePrufe on bare metal, blued metal and browned metal with absolutely no problems. It certainly won't hurt the cups.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Ok, that is great. Will look into placing an order. Talking with the owner of Rusteprufe, via e-mail and seems like a nice guy!

John
dcjames
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of dcjames
Update -

I recently acquired this set of BGS Sisti cups.

The rust is very light indeed and while visually distracting is not heavy enough to feel beneath your touch. This leads me to believe that there is no real pitting involved. That said, I have tried RustePrufe with little success. Although the color of the rust itself faded somewhat, the spots and blotches are still readily apparent on the surface of the cups.

I then removed the RustePrufe with Dawn dishwashing liquid and hot water and tried again with WD-40. No joy there either.

Removed the WD-40 with hot water and Dawn. Tried removing the rusted areas with white vinegar. No further improvement.

So, now I have cleaned all three cups with very hot water and Dawn dishwashing liquid and applied a protective layer of RustePrufe to prevent further oxidation. While the rust may be arrested at the moment, I am still left with 3 awesome little cups that are freckled with rust.

It\'s almost as if the rust has stained the unfinished metal. Hindsight being 20/20 I believe these cups would have benefited greatly from some sort of clear coat as a final finish.

I have ordered a sample of a product called Innosoft B570. http://www.emergo-metal.nl/en/b570.html

I will keep you posted once I have tried the Innosoft product.

Any advice on how to proceed is greatly appreciated.
“Magic is very easy to do - poorly.”

Tommy Wonder
The Books of Wonder
Volume 2
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Doug,

This site: http://www.ehow.com/how_5118662_remove-gun-barrel-rust.html
Mentions gun bore cleaner. Not being around guns I am not familiar with the product but perhaps someone else on here could advise?

Perhaps you might want to get them polished and then treat them to an anti corrosion product?

Bri
dcjames
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of dcjames
Cheers Bri -

Just ordered the other product and if it fails to do the job, as you suggested physical polishing is next on the agenda.

I am actually toying with the idea of taking these to local gunsmith and have them blue the cups. Not sure specifically what metal this is, so that may not be the wisest choice. Of course, \'blued\' guns are actually more black than blue, so I suspect the result would be something similar in appearance to the Darkness Falls cups.

I\'ll keep you posted.

Doug
“Magic is very easy to do - poorly.”

Tommy Wonder
The Books of Wonder
Volume 2
Kevin Gardner
View Profile
Regular user
Richboro, PA
177 Posts

Profile of Kevin Gardner
I had some spots of rust on my RNT2 Phoenix II cups in Blue Gun Steel, Jake gave me this advice in an e-mail and it worked great:

"The blue steel cup can be touched up with a scotch brite pad, green. They can usually be found at your local supermarket or hardware store, this will take the rust off. To prevent this from happening again, you can use an auto wax on the cups maybe 2x a month for 2 months and they should remain pristine."

I used Turtle wax it worked very well, I've been rust free for one year and three months so far.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24252 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Hello I'm Kevin, and I'm a rust a holic

CHORUS "Hello Kevin!"
;0
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
I often drink upto 2 bottles of rustohol a day.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Polishing/cleaning Blue Gun Cups? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL