The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Coin Balloon-acy DVD - Ian Garrison (Magic Ian) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Adam Hince
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburgh, PA
509 Posts

Profile of Adam Hince
Apparently this was released back in the late 70s, but I'm not familiar with it. Perhaps the "I was born in the 80s" thing is working against me here.

Anyway, the demo for this looks fantastic. Murphy's has it, so shops everywhere should be able to get it.

http://murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=44917

Can anyone familiar with this provide any additional insight?

Thanks,
-AH
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
The original effect was introduced in 1978, and received 4 stars in Genii magazine. Prior to this DVD, the instruction was only available in print and in Magic-Ian lecture DVD.
The content of the DVD is from edited lecture material and in addition to the coin balloon-acy effect there is other balloon material using silks, coat hanger, pens, knitting needles all from the magic-Ian lecture. This week is the first release of the DVD. Informal instruction.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Adam Hince
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburgh, PA
509 Posts

Profile of Adam Hince
Thanks Magic-Ian. Is the effect practical for walkaround?

Thanks,
-AH
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
It is perfect for walkaround. I Pm's you with details.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
This was released on Monday, and shops will start to receive this this week. No-one has it til probably Thursday.
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1946 Posts

Profile of ted french
Ian this and the Diminishing Sponge Balls look really great.
P3
practice practice perform.
magicman1
View Profile
Inner circle
1183 Posts

Profile of magicman1
The coin through balloon looks awesome, has me fried!!

Don
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Been frying since 1978 (lol).
4 stars in Genii in 1980, and featured in Tannens Topics and their catalog almost 8 years (of course I taught everyone at Tannens personally which made a big difference), this release is the first time on video (will hit the shops this week, or direct sales at my site).
Thanks for the comment.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2010-02-17 11:49, ted french wrote:
Ian this and the Diminishing Sponge Balls look really great.

Those were my two latest releases. Coin Balloon-acy the sponge trick. The sponge ball effect can be used with any sponge routine. The Coin in Balloon can be used in any walk-around or closeup setting, walk-around is ideal. Borrow the coin, insert the coin and hand them the balloon as a souvenir.
Those were my earliest creations and have stood the test of time since the 80's. I would love to see some-one on youtube post a performance.
ades888
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of ades888
This looks great and is on order, can't wait to receive it! Lovely pieces to tie into a needle through balloon routine.
Will provide a review once received.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
If you wanted to routine the effect with needle thru balloon, you would first push the quarter thru, then the needle, and then have the quarter spinning around the needle.
The other effects, you could do the dollar bill or card in balloon, then needle.
I like doing the pen thru balloon, and tell the spectator I forgot to sign the bill and then sign it while its in the balloon. Just a fun sequence.
Order from you favorite shop, or direct.
Café members get free balloons with their order.
msmaster
View Profile
Special user
522 Posts

Profile of msmaster
Great ideas.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
If you get a chance to view the demo clip again, what are your comments on the silk thru balloon method (one of the bonus effects from my lecture - about 45 seconds in). Has anyone seen a silk tossed into a balloon like that?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzpbh0xOOxQ
cairo
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of cairo
The silk thru balloon is intriguing. How did you come up with that?
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2010-04-08 15:01, cairo wrote:
The silk thru balloon is intriguing. How did you come up with that?

I PM'd you.
AntonDreaming
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
622 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
I love this!
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
This was the very first, and still the best method for doing this illusion. The variations and extras on the DVD are lecture material. The coat hanger thru balloon was devised in 1978 when the very first commercial needle thru balloon came out. I was a dealer, and always had magicians who kept popping the balloons. The always said that the needle had a dull point. I sympathetically took their needle and then shoved the other end thru balloon.
The coat hanger was just for theatrics.
The coin in balloon was popular as a great way to lead into the needle thru balloon, kind of an accessory to an item every magician had.
All the rest of the DVD material is easy stuff, to shock and wake up magicians during a lecture.
Years passed, and youtube imitators started to emerge, but without my instruction, there was a lot of bad guesswork. Some of it was the natural evolution of thought that I had covered during my experimentation. There was, of course, a few elements that no-one figured on their own.
noble1
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of noble1
More people should know about you.
Red Neck Magician
View Profile
Regular user
Down Yonder
190 Posts

Profile of Red Neck Magician
After reading the review I believe I will give this a try. I will write a review after I recive the dvd.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
The thrill of performing this was heightened for me when I did a convention in Hartford, Ct. in the 80's. John Kennedy and I had booths opposite each other, and he and I were the only ones with crowds.
I would ask magicians for a coin (any coin), and I would take their coin and perform the effect. They would have copper/silver, Mexican coins, Chinese coins with holes and pure silver coins.
The mechanics and misdirection allowed me to do the effect under a lot of heat, the kind of heat you would never find under normal performance for general audiences.
There is very bold misdirection when doing this effect for magicians, non-magicians haven't got a chance.
The follow up moves with needle thru or the ink pen are just icing on the cake to drive the spectators mad. The cool thing is, that when performing the alternate penetrations, the spectator assumes that all methods are the same whereas they are all different. To the layman, what was outside is now inside and that is all they know.
Here is a photo at a National convention in Los Angelos in 1983 with Don Wayne and David Copperfield watching (I am the sleepy fat guy at the left).

Talk about heat!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Coin Balloon-acy DVD - Ian Garrison (Magic Ian) (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL