The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Ballycast # 035 - Lizard Men and Folk Art (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2449 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
I barely escaped with my life! Imagine my horror when I discovered that I wasn't in a hospital December - I was actually a captive in the Lost City of the Lizard Men! I got away just as they were readying me for some hideous sacrifice!

In Ballycast Episode 35, you'll learn about the lost city under the streets of Los Angeles, and you'll hear some thoughts on sideshow performance as a folk art worthy of much more respect.

The podcast web page is HERE
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
Hello Wayne:

You have made another great podcast. #35 with the old time bally and your TERRIFIC bally for the Amazon Creatures Show . I enjoy all of the podcasts, all are very well done! Thanks for posting these valuable bits of history for the show world.

ROD
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2449 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Thanks, Rod! (Okay, now sit down ... I'll give you the ten bucks after the show).
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
OH BOY!!! a saw buck! I am heading straight for the pie car.
jeremysweiss
View Profile
Special user
744 Posts

Profile of jeremysweiss
Festival of fun! Well done Ross! Really great work!
The Shock Doc
<BR>www.TheShockDocShow.com
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>http://ballycast.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/ballycast-024-2009-03-21.mp3
<BR>
<BR>"....Jeremy Weiss has the greatest card trick of ALL TIME!"--Jamie D. Grant.
<BR>Start listening to iTricks 11/12/09
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Regarding the Amazon Show...I got this eMail:

"...(Terrors of the Amazon) that Amazon Death
Worm is your Atomic Worm. I gave Wayne permission to use the grind on his
bally cast, (and) heard the episode today for the first time. I built that
show for larger festivals and fairs and it has been very successful, you can
quote me on this, your shows not only always makes the nut, but turn a
profit even in these bad economic times!"
James Long

Anyway, just for the record, that identifies an exhibit. Smile
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2449 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Quote:
On 2010-03-04 09:41, Doug Higley wrote:
Anyway, just for the record, that identifies an exhibit. Smile

Doug, I'm not sure I quite gather your meaning ... in the past, you've asked me not to write/podcast too specifically about the details of your 'Zibit exhibition plan, and I believed that this grind, as James Long works it, is different in some very big ways ... enough that I wouldn't be stepping on your toes. If I was mistaken, I apologize.

To the readers at large: I've studied Doug's exhibition plan (he sells it for very few $$$) and it is not only a brilliant insight into the way today's crowds think in today's venues, it is simple and very clearly explained. I think you'll agree with his reasoning and you really canb't argue with his experience. Pay him the pittance he asks, and at least start 'Zibiting your 'Zibit the exact way he suggests.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Im meant that at this stage...as the Café creates a record that will last long after we are gone...Sideshow World and your Bally Cast as well. I just thought maybe that a simple dopey thing like an exhibit would be able to be identified some day. I know in some of the OLD shows I hear about or read about, I'd love to know the origin of some of the 'things' that were used. I always consider what is put in the Café to be a 'record'. It will always exist as long as cyberspace exists. I am and have been also very proud to be included in your bally casts in whatever ways I show up. Smile

Yes...James Long changed it (the plan) considerably for his Amazzon show. I had printed the FULL eMail explaining this somewhat in another thread so rather than fully duplicate I put an edited (albeit self serving) version here. But here is the full version:

"I will call you on Friday, my phone has issues. Any comment on Wayne's
Bally cast episode 35 grind tape, (Terrors of the Amazon) that Amazon Death
Worm is your Atomic worm. I gave Wayne permission to use the grind on his
bally cast, heard the episode today for the first time. I built that
show for larger festivals and fairs and it has been very successful, you can
quote me on this: your shows not only always makes the nut, but turn a
profit even in these bad economic times! I didn't listen to everything you
taught me on this one, but it made me realize how right you are in the field
manual. The simple strange thing (mer) has made just as much and was cheaper
to build. It puts a smile on my face the money a tent, box, table and
exhibit makes compared to other vendors at the shows I do.

Thanks for sharing the fun,
Jim L."

I'm also proud of all the showmen/women who are out there making names for themselves using my stuff...I like to remain the Phantom so to speak, but amongst the 'fold', I don't mind a little nod. Smile

Thanks Ross...you're doin' just fine. Smile

By the way...my plan is only written in stone IF it is to be followed at all, it should be unchanged. BUT of course showmen like James can riff all they want to and it's encouraged once some milage is under the belt. The Plan is really all about getting STARTED and for little money compared to a bigger show design. Once these basics are understood and a new shoman/woman knows what is possible and the dynamics of the biz...then they should if motivated do their own thing. They can always revert back to the basics if that was more comfortable..
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Ballycast # 035 - Lizard Men and Folk Art (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL