The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Mentalist Dream Box by Max Krause » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
kenwebster
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of kenwebster
Well where do I start, product, customer service, routines that are possible ???

First of all customer service...Absolutely fantastic Max, has always answered my emails straight away, he has always been available on the phone. No matter how many questions were thrown at him he answered ! Max goes into the same bracket as Craig Filicetti from Pro Mystic (if anyone has had dealings with Craig you will know exactly where I am coming from ) Its a shame not everyone had the same customer service as these two guys !!!

The Mentalist Drean Box is a dream. The workmanship is superb, crafted with true skill. The mechanics are faultless. The mentalist DOES NOT TOUCH THE BOX ! This is completely clean, you can concentrate on your performance and not IF the box will work because it will !

It honestly is a work of art. I cannot rave on enough about this prop, excellent.

As for routines, well they are endless ! Forget other billet collection devices you can`t beat The Mentalist Dream Box.

Thanks Max you are a gentleman and a true genius.
Ken
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
It does look good, but the difference between an envelope and a box is that when you have a fancy box, everyone wants to look at it, and it screams "trapdoor" or something of the kind. When you empty an envelope you can crumple it. Smile
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2044 Posts

Profile of aligator
Sorry magicFreak2, I have to disagree with you on this one.
kenwebster
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of kenwebster
Hi Magicfreak

Let them look at the box they will see nothing !
kozmic kettle
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of kozmic kettle
If you could duplicate the same conditions so that the performer never touches the envelope - I think you would have a point.

The strength of Max's Dream Box is that the spectator collects the billets, opens the box himself and then just tips everything out without the performer ever touching a thing. It's the performer never handling any of the props that makes it so strong. As far as I know, nobody has ever come up with a method that can duplicate those conditions using an envelope.

I'd say, a box that you never handle is less suspicious (and much more powerful) than an envelope that you do. If you don't agree, though, Karrell Fox's "Another Book" has a method where the billets are collected in a big envelope instead of a box. You do have to handle the envelope - but the book costs slightly less than $650!
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
I apologize everyone, I was thinking of a totally different box (with a significantly higher price tag). For some reason I think that the name had something along the lines of "Dream ... for mentalists" or something like that, I got them both mixed up. The other box was much flatter and shinier. Sorry for the confusion.
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3085 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Place the box on the front of the stage. Never touch it again. Have audience members write 'whatever' on pieces of paper and walk up and place their own paper inside the box. Finally, have a randomly selected audience member open the box and remove one of the pieces of paper.

Yes, there are myriad bag/envelope billet s********g devices available, but none can provide these hands-off conditions.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2010-02-15 15:17, Eric Samuels wrote:
Place the box on the front of the stage. Never touch it again. Have audience members write 'whatever' on pieces of paper and walk up and place their own paper inside the box. Finally, have a randomly selected audience member open the box and remove one of the pieces of paper.

Yes, there are myriad bag/envelope billet s********g devices available, but none can provide these hands-off conditions.

Actually Francis Carlyle has a clear change bag that approximates this pretty close.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
kenwebster
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of kenwebster
Hi Greg

I have that bag and it is no way the same. Totally different.
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1600 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
Quote:
On 2010-02-15 16:46, Greg Arce wrote:
Quote:

Actually Francis Carlyle has a clear change bag that approximates this pretty close.

Greg

Greg,
Do you mean E. Raymond Carlyle?
Best regards,
<BR>Tony Razzano, Past President, PEA
Winner of the PEA"s Bascom Jones and Bob Haines Awards
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On 2010-02-15 16:46, Greg Arce wrote:
Quote:

Greg

I do believe it is E. Carlyle and I have the bag and I must say, comparing Max's Mentalists Box to anything is like comparing a Lightning Bolt to a Lightning Bug.

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2010-02-15 07:33, magicFreak2 wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-02-15 06:59, kenwebster wrote:
Well where do I start, product, customer service, routines that are possible ???

First of all customer service...Absolutely fantastic Max, has always answered my emails straight away, he has always been available on the phone. No matter how many questions were thrown at him he answered ! Max goes into the same bracket as Craig Filicetti from Pro Mystic (if anyone has had dealings with Craig you will know exactly where I am coming from ) Its a shame not everyone had the same customer service as these two guys !!!

The Mentalist Drean Box is a dream. The workmanship is superb, crafted with true skill. The mechanics are faultless. The mentalist DOES NOT TOUCH THE BOX ! This is completely clean, you can concentrate on your performance and not IF the box will work because it will !

It honestly is a work of art. I cannot rave on enough about this prop, excellent.

As for routines, well they are endless ! Forget other billet collection devices you can`t beat The Mentalist Dream Box.

Thanks Max you are a gentleman and a true genius.
Ken

It does look good, but the difference between an envelope and a box is that when you have a fancy box, everyone wants to look at it, and it screams "trapdoor" or something of the kind. When you empty an envelope you can crumple it. Smile

Mr. Freak, Once you begin performing regularly and for large audiences (more than 20 or 30!) you will learn to handle these situations and learn to USE a prop NOT as a prop but as an incidental item in the show.

Why do you suppose so many WORKING PROS own and use this box when they could simply do it with a piece of paper?

J
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
What I'm saying is what the audience will perceive... not magicians or mentalists.

I said it once before, there was a story about a mentalist sitting in an audience with his wife. They were watching another mentalist perform. The performer did some sort of contrived book test... one that has a lot of steps to get to the page, line and word. His wife turned to him and said, "Hey, he's doing that trick you do."

The mentalist fumed. He does the MOAB, but yet his wife perceived it as the same thing.

I'm assuming this box is great. It sounds great. But don't let magician thinking make you think that an audience will see the difference between that and any other OM box. If you asked a regular group from two shows that saw this box and an OM box what they saw... well, they'll practically say the same thing: "We wrote stuff down and then someone picked one of our slips at random and the guy knew what that guy was thinking." More than likely, in both cases, they would probably not mention the box. To them it's just a container to hold the slips.

But if it makes you happy to fool other magicians then go for it. Like I said, I'm sure it's an excellent product.

greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
KBLV
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas
188 Posts

Profile of KBLV
Although I don't have one of Max's boxes, I have seen one and examined it thoroughly.

Bottom line is, this is a GREAT prop that will repay you many times over for it's initial cost. It's built to last, and is absolutely gorgeous. The method is ingenious, and will not wear out.

I give this one Five Billets Up, on a scale of 1-5
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
I am partial to the Cassidy Cigar Box OM box Smile - but one day I'll have to collect this one too
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Sorry to kinda hijack, but saying about using everyday objects and the difference in perceptions..i've been getting away with murder with a billet pencil I'd been road testing...i bought the full on kit last week, and it came today...a quick mini-review here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=109&0
I've asked to be banned
gphrenol
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of gphrenol
Yes E. Raymond Carlyle does sell the New Working Mentalist Forcing Bag It is great and pack small.
Max's box does give a much higher level of technical purity.
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1409 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe I could accomplished the same outcome with my Larry Becker box.

Walk out, set ou the table, never touch again.
Have several spectators insert their billets into the box, have the last or different audience member open the box and take out a random billet.

Sound right?

JerryB
Oyama
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR.
1054 Posts

Profile of Oyama
I agree with Greg!

No doubt about it...he is correct.

Aaron
"it's better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb."
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Jerry - Becker blessed Max's box as the next evolution - I own Becker's and you have to be holding it when things are inserted....MBD - you never touch it at all except to set it down for test conditions Smile
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Mentalist Dream Box by Max Krause » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL