The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Early Users of Pyrotechnics in Stage Illusions/Effects (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gmeister
View Profile
Inner circle
1568 Posts

Profile of gmeister
I posted this query in the Up In Smoke" Forum as well since I don't know how wide-spread cross readership/interest is, so I apologize in advance if you've already seen it there.

Anybody know whether Houdini (or any magicians of his era) used some sort of stage pyrotechnics along with illusions?

Thanks!
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I do know that some of the early guys used ground flare materials in cremation illusions. As for the era, I am not sure.

I find hard to believe that the Chinese conjurors would have not used it in some of the larger productions pieces. I do not recall reading anything about Houdini specifically using anything like pyro.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
gmeister
View Profile
Inner circle
1568 Posts

Profile of gmeister
Thanks, Richard, that's a great lead. Supposedly Albert Marchinsky did this illusion with flare (ouch!). I'll check into others.

Thanks again.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Houdini was strapped/chained to the end of a loaded cannon. Does that count? The local police wouldn't let the sailors lite the fuse though. Probably a very wise decision.

Houdini did write a book called Miracle Mongers and Their Methods. It has many entries on fire walking, eating etc. You may want to pick that up.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
gmeister
View Profile
Inner circle
1568 Posts

Profile of gmeister
Thanks, Kevin. Know MIRACLE MONGERS but didn't know about the loaded cannon. When and where did that occur?
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
I THINK 1904. It's in the Houdini Spy Book. Here's the link.

http://books.google.com/books?id=mIV7qFY......&f=false
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
gmeister
View Profile
Inner circle
1568 Posts

Profile of gmeister
Hey, Kevin, thanks so much! Had gone through the Houdini book when it first came out but obviously that incident didn't register. Really appreciate your taking the time to pinpoint it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Early Users of Pyrotechnics in Stage Illusions/Effects (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL