The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Glass magic (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24274 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The old timers used to get several really good glasses, normally with faceted surfaces, and have a person who did repair on glassware and/or crystal do the necessary modifications. Donald Holmes produced a particularly nice M***** glass that was made of high lead content crystal. The glasses often show up without the gimmick.

I think Mephisto Huis was the Belgian source of many good magical items.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
reynold
View Profile
Elite user
Puerto Rico
492 Posts

Profile of reynold
Kent:
No, but still I think they are excellent routines with glasses!
Sorry if I'm off of topic,
Hansel!
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Kent:
No, but still I think they are excellent routines with glasses!
Sorry if I'm off of topic,
Hansel!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Metatron
View Profile
Elite user
Port Orchard, Washington
436 Posts

Profile of Metatron
Hansel how did you post as Reynold Smile ?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24274 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
It's magic.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
It's ventriloquism, you silly wizard. Smile He can even do it while drinking a bottomless glass of water.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
LOL! He is practically my brother! I'm using his computer and reply when he is Signed On!
Sorry for that,
Hansel! Smile
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6011 Posts

Profile of motown
In the old Stevens Video Series: The Magic of Spain, there was a cups & balls type routine using clear glass. I think it may have done by Vanni Bossi. It was excellent.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9005 Posts

Profile of funsway
My nephew broke my 'glass' slot glass years ago, and I would like to get another, if anyone knows a current source or wants to sell one. Half-dollar size
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24274 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Go to the nearest big town that has a person who specializes in making leaded glass windows. They have tools for cutting and polishing glass. Tell them what you want.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Magic Researcher
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Magic Researcher
I had three types of mirror glasses, a ball glass, a slot glass, a bottomless glass, a stage sized penetration frame, a rising card glass, and an elegant dribble glass made several years ago by Riser. His main business is high end crystal engraving and he has the equipment to do the job correctly. There is too much snow plowed in front of the storage unit to go measure them right now. They are a decent size though. I think he provided a plain glass to match the others. I did not order it at the time. Find a glass cutter or engraver for the job.
MR
Repeating a falsehood often and loudly does not make it true.
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1794 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Old web site I think, but here the book previously referred to:

http://trickster.com/catalog/c-bookpage8.html

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
TomB
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of TomB
Kanters Magic Shop in PA sold the demons glass copyright 1947 Mitchell Kanter.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1836 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Gimmicked glasses are not usually suitable for close-up work and don't really fit the category of "Ever So Sleightly" ("Discussions on magic that uses sleight of hand skills") , however , because I noticed earlier in this discussion thread (10 years ago !!) Gene Gloye's books on trick glasses were mentioned I wanted to point out that anyone interested can purchase a PDF version of these Gene Gloye books on Lybrary.com.

These are actually tricks with plastic cups (such as the popular "Solo" cups and similar types of disposable plastic cups) not with glasses as such.

https://www.lybrary.com/eugene-e-gloye-m-112116.html

The books are "Fantastic Tricks with Plastic Cups" and "More Fantastic Tricks With Plastic Cups".
(similar material is covered in Sam Berland's "Tricks with Paper Cups" - https://www.lybrary.com/tricks-with-paper-cups-p-273.html )

The thing is , some of these gimmicked plastic cup ideas can be adapted to using heavier acrylic or lucite tumblers, which look similar to real glass (especially from stage distance) , but are unbreakable. The advantage of the disposable plastic cups is they are so easy to work with (easy to cut with an X-acto knife or small shears). But if you have tools and patience to cut acrylic (or have the job done by a local plastics company who have the proper saws, drills, and expertise to work with acrylic) , you could adapt some of the ideas in the Gloye books (and Berland's book) to heavier acrylic tumblers. Although in some cases using a common item like a disposable plastic cup is an advantage . These disposable cups are so common and apparently "free from guile" , that most audiences won't suspect them of being gimmicked in any way.

-----

Quote:
On Feb 18, 2010, Bill Palmer wrote:
The old timers used to get several really good glasses, normally with faceted surfaces, and have a person who did repair on glassware and/or crystal do the necessary modifications. Donald Holmes produced a particularly nice M***** glass that was made of high lead content crystal.

Yes, I agree in many cases nothing beats using real glass. Particularly heavy fluted glass for a B_ttoml_ss glass or M***** glass , or glasses with a "waffle" or "diamond" cut pattern used for a M***** glass. The heavy fluted or diamond cut glass pattern creates a subtle distortion that disguises the presence of the gaff better than a similarly fluted plastic glass in my opinion. It's a subtle difference. This pattern, by Libbey, called "Radiant", is particularly good for a M***** goblet or M***** tumbler. See:

https://www.replacements.com/p/libbey-gl......64148201

and

https://www.replacements.com/p/libbey-gl......64156421

This pattern has the upper edge of the glass clear , then a diamond cut pattern , then a fluted pattern below that which effectively disguises the presence of the M***** . The M***** edge is positioned so it is below the upper clear part of the glass, just below where the diamond cut pattern starts, so there is little danger of flashing the edge of the M***** .

I made one from the Libbey Radient water goblet. Here's a photo of it with the M***** in place:

Click here to view attached image.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Glass magic (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL