The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Michael Close Devious DVD set (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2586 Posts

Profile of truthteller
The position that only someone who has done something specific can be qualified to criticize something specific is a stupid one - using the common meaning of the word stupid.

I love the genii forum - the people there understand that. (Why don't you advocate this position there, Bill?)
AmazingKeithy
View Profile
New user
Round Rock, Texas
99 Posts

Profile of AmazingKeithy
Any more thoughts on the quality of the material?
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2586 Posts

Profile of truthteller
Keithy,

I have seen Close perform some of this material on multiple occasions. While his work has always been deceptive, I find his later material to be even more deeply so, relying not only on technique and psychology, but also a careful use of structure that really helps direct away from the method.

As a performer, Close is easy to want to mimic and that would be a mistake. I have seen many magicians do 'their version' of the pothole trick, only to see that the only difference is their little man in the hole is italian instead of chinese. I think a lot of magicians see elements of themselves in Close's persona and assume they can readily don that suit. Ultimately it misses in their hands.

Of course, this can be said of any performer we want to emulate - but in Close's case I think people miss those tiny touch points that Close pegs his routine to that make them a perfect fit for his style and personality. It is the subtle differences that are important to consider.

Having said that, his routines stripped down are almost universally strong and can, with just a little work, be used by almost anyone.

I guess what I am saying is just because Close makes these routines look like anyone could step into them, it's not that easy - but at the same time, hardly insurrmountable.

What makes Close great is how he thinks about his choices.

To use his material as effectively as possible you will have to think about your choices as well, but the raw materials you will be building with are of a higher quality and a much stronger foundation that other ideas you might find on the market.

You and I live in the same city. Small world.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6245 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Years ago I took Shoot Ogawa to meet all the greats that live in Las Vegas. Shoot was new to Hollywood and no one had heard of him yet.

I introduced Shoot to Michael at his working area: The Houdini Lounge. Michael decided to do a set in front of Shoot, but wanted to use some real people and not magicians. He gathered a group together at a table and we sat with the group.

Michael proceeded to devastate the group. I got to see most of the knucklebusting routines I had read in his original books. I was delighted. It was a thrill to see all that heavy work just being done flawlessly.

I got to see that monster routine of Michael's where the deck and saltshaker constantly appear and vanish. It was great.

Michael is amazing.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2586 Posts

Profile of truthteller
John Lovick reviewed this item in a recent issue of magic magazine. Interested parties should pick up a copy.
Darwin Ortiz
View Profile
V.I.P.
483 Posts

Profile of Darwin Ortiz
I recently had a chance to watch this set. In my view, it contains some of the strongest card effects you can perform for an audience. Some of theses are Mike’s creations and some are his handlings of others’ creations that appear with their inventors’ permission. His version of A New World is brilliant. It’s the sort of thing that Del Ray might have performed. Another item on this set has been in my repertoire for years and I consider it one of the strongest effects I do.

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz
squando
View Profile
Elite user
444 Posts

Profile of squando
I have not seen these tapes but am sure Mike has done quality work that is worthy of study.
Frank
chappelly
View Profile
Special user
Down Under
744 Posts

Profile of chappelly
Quote:
On 2010-04-03 15:32, Joe Mauro wrote:
Dennis, I have no idea who you even are, let alone who you are friends with.

The routine with the young lady is "The Luckiest Cards in Las Vegas"

During the first part of the trick, Becca picks the ten of diamonds. A card is above one of the luckiest cards and he asks her "if that card is the ten of diamonds, that would be?"

She says "Magic". Which, is a GREAT answer.

He says "That would be... unlikely". Very funny line, delivered with perfect comic timing by Michael.

Then he gets mean." What are you, a child? ".

Dennis, look at her face when he says it. She's embarrassed, insulted and humiliated. And then he continues to mock her answer. Watch her embarrassed expressions.

Dennis, my wife knows nothing of what I've been writing and doesn't watch magic with me. In order to answer your question, I put on the DVD and my wife, who I didn't even think was paying attention, said "that was so rude of him. He's an ***hole".

My wife's opinion of him is correct. Only a bully would do that. That's an example of why some people can't stand Magicians and don't want to participate.

I just looked at the first part of the DVD last night.
I agree entirely with Joe. Calling a beautiful lady a child in front of the audience isn't funny. It was obvious that she was embarrassed. Who wouldn't be.
He kept on goading her about her "magic" comment.
Not keen on watching the rest of it.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Chappelly, did you ever watch the rest of the set?
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
chappelly
View Profile
Special user
Down Under
744 Posts

Profile of chappelly
Yes I did thanks Review.
The rest was fine with good magic and good humour.
The comment in question, seemed to be out of place with the other material?
I found this DVD set to be a good companion to his Closely Guarded Secrets.

Chappelly
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Chappelly, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I quite enjoyed the set. Would never be able to do the material justice, but I think Mike would rather folks concentrate on the thinking behind the effects, then the actual effects.

Chris

chappelly
View Profile
Special user
Down Under
744 Posts

Profile of chappelly
I agree Chris.
I picked up a couple of things here that will improve other effects that I do.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I put on volume #2 today. I really think anyone serious about card magic should invest in this set. LIke me, you may not be able to do 95% of the effects, but the thinking behind them is eye opening.

The Way Of The Duck is the first effect on vil. #2 and as simple as the idea is ( the idea, not the work ) the outcome is unbelievable.

murli
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of murli
I like this Set.
Great Ideas.
Wonderful work.
pierredan
View Profile
Special user
Dai Vernon's birthplace
533 Posts

Profile of pierredan
These are some of the best DVDs I picked up in a long time.
mumford
View Profile
Special user
652 Posts

Profile of mumford
I agree, Close is among the finest in my estimation.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
For me, this is one of the best DVD sets ever released. While much of it I'll never be able to do, I sit watching and shaking my head in amazement and awe.

However, there are some easy, yet killer effects on the set. Any student of card magic should think about investing in this set.

Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
'Bedwell Meets Findley' is a killer effect that is rather easy to learn and the payoff is a mind blowing effect for the audience. I've used it a few times now and folks literally shake their head in amazement. It would also be a fantastic effect if you were at someone's house and you used their deck.

'Devious' was a perfect choice to call this set.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Michael Close Devious DVD set (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL