The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Criss Angel Magic Kits » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
http://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=45668

I guess anything goes when it comes to making a buck.

I can't get a set of nice spirit slates from Murphys, or a decent set of table legs...

but hey... I can load up on Criss Angel magic kits!

:/

Im looking at this and seeing cheap props that look like dollar store kit items.

Best part is on the image of the back of the box it says "over a $450 value"
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1172 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
I didn't even know there was an award for Best Magic Kit. How is it voted Best Magic Kit if it is only hitting the market just now? Or is it the same magic kit that is a winner and just repackaged with Angel's likeness?
Tim Trono
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of Tim Trono
Mark it's a shame you are commenting without actually seeing the kit itself. This is probably one of the nicest magic kits I have seen. Criss and his team have been working on it for quite some time as they wanted to provide THE best kit possible. I can assure you Criss is NOT doing this for the money - he certainly doesn't need the money from some magic kits. But he wants to make a difference. He sees the influence he has and he sees the many who want to learn magic. He wants to raise the bar. Critique him if you will but simply look at what he has done. I think this kit is perfect for the beginner. We are proud to distribute it - of someone wants to learn magic I want to give them the best possible tools. In talking to Criss he has many many young people wanting to truly learn magic and he wanted to give them the best kit possible. Certainly the magic field puts down people like Blaine, Angel, etc. and I consider that a real shame. If you truly SAW the influence these guys have on all walks of life you'd be amazed. I've seen over 2000 fans of all ages, ethnic backgrounds, etc. waiting in line for a picture and an autograph from Criss. I've seen how encouraging he is and how seriously he takes his position to the public. Likewise with Blaine. He has changed people's live outside of magic and he wants to encourage those who truly want to get into magic in the best way possible.

Well I am off to Blackpool but I'd encourage you to actually take a look before judging. Have a great week.

Tim
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Tim,

I appreciate your comments.

To be fair, I will order one of these on my next murphys order. I would like to see what is being put out there for kids.

I guess what bothers me is that we have things like this with the gothic, rockstar, chains and handcuffs vibe.... yet when people try to get the time proven classics of magic, they are no longer around...

Look at the Murphys Catalog - find a set of decent spirit slates, options for performers table legs, a decent mirror glass, quality manipulation balls, the list goes on and on... the really good items are not out there for us...

It saddens me when there are so many other items that are in dire need of being available and things like this continue to come out. I have not seen it - but I will order one to take a look and get first hand knowledge... but heck... murphys just came out with all of their own magic kits ... how many beginner kits are needed??? and then... what happens when these kids get past the beginner stuff and really want to use some of the classics I mentioned that are hard to find?

I love you guys at Murphys - you know that - we have spoke a few times in the past... I say these things out of desire to see the passion back in magic and what is offered by and to dealers. I'd love to see you guys get some focus back to the classics of magic and bring some of them back to life... the beginners coming into this deserve it...

Again Tim - I appreciate all you guys do - and have a blast at Blackpool!
Mark Reed
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4145 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Michael, I ordered you one for your birthday. I hear it comes with a special booklet called: "Camera tricks for beginners." Awesome.

(sorry. I just couldn't resist)
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1934 Posts

Profile of ted french
Well I don't think that it is murphys fault that companies are not producing good tradtional effects like the spirit slate. I am sure that if some company wanted to produce a spirit slate that was of good quality that murphys would carry it. The criss kit looks like it is great for beginners and I am sure the 3 dvds will have a ton of stuff that don't involve a camera trick.
P3
practice practice perform.
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
I guess I need to clear some things up in regards to my initial disgruntled ramblings...

Not to sound like an ideological bigot, but the bigger issue I have is Criss Angel in general. I struggle EVERY DAY to overcome the false impression of magic this guy puts in the heads of kids everywhere. All the video edit magic is very damaging to the magic community and especially the younger folks. These kids get a very false sense of what magic is about by the way Angel delivers his video creations. I have kids passing over Tarbell, thinking linking rings are lame, and ask how they can learn to walk across a swimming pool or across the sky from roof to roof.

I guess this is what really sparked my disgruntlement – the choice of who is represented in this kit. I hope you would agree that video edits and gothic rockstar looking “hit and run” magic is not what the community is about. With all the Blaine and Angel stuff being put into kids heads, they think magic is about running up to strangers and “doing something mindfreakish” I consider Angel a poor representation of what magic is, and to now idolize him with a kit to put out to kids to reinforce that even more, is a bad move in my opinion. I know his face sells… his rockstar good looks genes sell… but it all isn’t about the money when it comes to the magic. We need to keep the youth from going in the wrong direction – even if it means less money.

Murphys didn't make this. However, I would have rather seen them pass over stocking this as a way of speaking out against Mr. Angels poor representation of magic.

Just my opinion.. I know Angel has many fans... Smile
Mark Reed
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2586 Posts

Profile of truthteller
Tim,

What award did this win exactly?

Not sure that someone who seems to regularly inflate and exagerate statements of success concerning themselves is necessarily the strongest role model for the kids.

I saw Believe. No one was lining up for autographs.

There is no doubt Criss is popular. But so is Paris Hilton.

Yet I don't think any of us would suggest a youngster turn to her for acting (or life)lessons.

I have no problem with anyone putting out a magic kit. Who knows, it may be great.

But being a celebrity, being a magician, and being talented are three very different things.

Just because someone has achieved one, does not mean we have to agree that they have achieved the others.
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
And, what does Blaine have to do with it? (lol) Blaine's name should never be used in the same sentence as Criss Angel's in my opinion. Blaine and Angel are as different as day and night.

I would never consider Angel a healthy role model, but I would call Blaine a healthy role model.
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Blaine and Angel are known for similar styles of approaching strangers and performing with no presentation script... many call it "hit and run" magic.

I agree Blaine is steps above Angel.
Mark Reed
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1934 Posts

Profile of ted french
I think Dan is right. Blaine has been great for us and he is a talented performer. I think at this point its kinda foolish to debate whether Blaine is deserving at this point.

MMReed, I spend some time in our local shop and I hear laypeople all the time ask silly questions like "how does angel walk on water" and others but these are not people serious about magic. There is something that about Angel that really iritates magicians. I'm not sure what it is because I have no problem with him but I noticed blaine hate is nothing compared to Angel hate.
P3
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2586 Posts

Profile of truthteller
I think the debate is still very much open.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
It says "Winner - The Best Magic Kit" - International Magicians Society.

I bet some kids got interested in Magic after watching Bill Bixby in The Magician. He was an actor and it was camera work doing the magic. Was that bad that it got kids interested?

The late Bill Bixby or Criss Angel have no drug busts or other "hero worship crushers". Isn't it better for kids to worship a camera trick magician than a golfer with a dozen mistresses? A ball player that gets nailed for cheating with steroids?

I'm not into Goth myself ( unless she's 21 and can put her ankles behind her head ;-) but that's Angel's character and it works for him.

Has anyone seen this 'Magic Kit"? I'd rather read a review on the kit than Angel bashing. No matter what folks think about him, do you know how hard it is to get a show on TV? It's like Steve Martin's old joke . "You want to make a million dollars? First...get a million dollars".

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
You can actually see the kit and it's contents in the picture.

Posted: Feb 17, 2010 1:53am
I ran a few searches to see if the International Magicians Society has ever had an award for a magic kit before, this is what I found. It seems the IMS believes THIS is the best magic kit on the market. http://imsmagic.com/IMS_magic_set.php

However, this set is perfect for ages 7-107 while Criss' is perfect for 8-108. (lol)
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
Thaumaturge
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Thaumaturge
And looooook!!!!
A SECRET floating device! Thank goodness. I've been putting off getting one of those floating devices in Debenhams because I didn't think it was secret enough and could be bought by any 7-8 year old. Thank goodness this one is SECRET.
hehe.

I think its just because I'm jealous. I might not like his style of magic, but its got him to where he is today, and very successfully. As long as he's doing good, as well as doing well.
Thaumaturge
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
I ordered one of these kits with my weekly murphys order.

Once I get it, I will give a first hand review of the items in it. I will forget who's logo and photo are plastered all over them and look at JUST THE ITEMS THEMSELVES.

If its a decent kit, hey... I will say so.

I still think the choice of who is represented by this kit is wrong. There are so many other role models that would serve better...

TO the poster above that asked why Angel isn't a good role model?

1. Promotes a gothic style which is considered somewhat dysfunctional in our society at this point - will that change? maybe...

2. Promotes a style of magic that forgets and omits a good deal about about patter, stagecraft, presentation ect... its called "hit and run" magic.

3. Promotes impossible magic without the aid of a camera and video editing. If this is magic - then the movie Superman was filled with magicians that could fly! Camera tricks are not magic and those presenting themselves as magicians using it, misrepresent magic to these young kids. These kids think they CAN learn to walk on water and get higher expectations of what magic is.

There are so many other role models that would have been better poster boys for this kit...

Penn and Teller - Lance Burton - Mac King - even Blaine...

The kit should be here next week and I am looking forward to reviewing it first hand and hopefully I can come back here and say how nice of a kit it is.

I especially want to watch the DVDs that come with it and see what kind of impression is given on them - is it all the gothic screaming mindfreak crap, or are they down to earth presentable and educational DVDs.... Does Criss come off his pedestal and teach sound fundamentals... more importantly, does Criss share some history and crediting on these effects to educate young folks where they came from... or are these DVDs merely a video homage to the gothic rockstar actor?

I will be the first to eat my own words if this kit represents solid magic - but having seen most of what has come from Angel so far, I am not getting my hopes up.
Mark Reed
Bill Thompson
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
422 Posts

Profile of Bill Thompson
Lets see what I can pick just from the picture....

a penetration frame, a couple of coin cups, rope (Professor's nightmare, rebranded Christopher's Nightmare?), Cups and balls, Sponge balls, a color vision box, ball vase, couple of decks of Official Criss Angel playing cards (I bet one of them is stripper deck and the other a Svengali), Secret utility device (thumb tip) and silk, spiked coin, and what looks to be a drawer box... Secret floating device (Thread maybe?). It's the same ol' stuff that is put in every magic kit these days.

The ad copy states that Criss "... personally hand-picked and/or created the over 500 MINDFREAKS contained in this kit..." sure sure... He might have pick out some this stuff but I find it hard to believe he "personally created" any of it.
"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment.
Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven." - Chuang Tse
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Quote:
On 2010-02-17 10:21, misterbill wrote:
Lets see what I can pick just from the picture....

a penetration frame, a couple of coin cups, rope (Professor's nightmare, rebranded Christopher's Nightmare?), Cups and balls, Sponge balls, a color vision box, ball vase, couple of decks of Official Criss Angel playing cards (I bet one of them is stripper deck and the other a Svengali), Secret utility device (thumb tip) and silk, spiked coin, and what looks to be a drawer box... Secret floating device (Thread maybe?). It's the same ol' stuff that is put in every magic kit these days.

The ad copy states that Criss "... personally hand-picked and/or created the over 500 MINDFREAKS contained in this kit..." sure sure... He might have pick out some this stuff but I find it hard to believe he "personally created" any of it.

rope (Professor's nightmare, rebranded Christopher's Nightmare?)

that is one of the red warning flags to me - and one I want to see once I get the kit. If Angel rebranded Prof Nightmare as his own and does not credit or mention the real name of it... that alone speaks volumes of the worth and merit of this kit. Hopefully he does the right thing and the DVDs cover it properly - I will know next week.
Mark Reed
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1934 Posts

Profile of ted french
I personally want more colorful personalities in magic. Magicians don't typically vary much in personality types.
P3
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2010-02-17 09:42, mmreed wrote:

TO the poster above that asked why Angel isn't a good role model?

1. Promotes a gothic style which is considered somewhat dysfunctional in our society at this point - will that change? maybe...

...There are so many other role models that would have been better poster boys for this kit...Penn and Teller....

Mark Reed, I understand. Like when Elvis Presley was made out to be the villain because of the leather he wore?. He was going to ruin society and hurt all the kids ( and music ) Pat Boone was a much better role model, right ( even though he admittedly cheated on his wife ).

Ah, to judge people by the way the dress. It has served society so well in the past. LOL. Vive la différence!

Mark, you prefer Penn and Teller as young Magicians role models you said? So, it's OK once they learn the tricks from their kits, they expose them all,, because their role models Penn and Teller do that. That's OK with you?

I'm not a fan of Criss Angel's TV show, but I don't pick and choose who kids look up to. They do. So, let's concentrate on the Magic Kit. If the kit inspires them, years later as they mature they will learn cups and balls, linking rings, etc. Or, they will get the kit and see that performing magic takes work and move onto other things. Fore those kids, no magic kit would matter. Including 'classics' would not matter to them.

Mark, I wouldn't trust my Grandfather to critique a Beatles album. Can you be trusted to review Chris Angel's Magic Kit? You hate him, the way he dresses and the Magic he performs. Can you really be impartial to review the kit?

Chris Kavanagh
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Criss Angel Magic Kits » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL